All-Star Taking A Year Off To Focus On Skills?!?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Please don't pull her. Just tumbling doesn't make a cheerleader. If it is soley b/c you are feeling like something is missing in cheerleading, see what else is out there that may be a better fit. Wether it is maybe Pop Warner/Rec is the right move or even just a new gym.

Now, please please please I hope I don't offend anyone, but 1: All-Star coaches are NOT the only qualified coaches out there. There are people like me who really feel that cheering games AND competing is fun. I am so sick of the fact that all-star is the BEST mentality. NOT FOR EVERY KID. Yes, check out the PW program and the coaches, maybe it is a better fit. 2: Do what's right for your daughter... it just may be a new gym and different voices and that is OK!!!!!

Thank you. I will say that our local PW team has had all 4 levels go to Nationals before at Disney, so they are strong and coached well. At this point I don't know what is right and what is wrong. I just know that I feel like i'm throwing money away in our current gym.

There is no shame in repeating a level. In fact, I am *hoping* that my CP ends up on level 2 again this year. She was on mini 2 and j2 this past season, but I just feel as if we need to put some polish on her stunting and jumps before she moves up. Also, another thing to consider is once she gets to level 3, what will happen after that? Will you feel like you need to pull her for another year to get to level 4?

It's not about her staying on a L2 team. It's really just about seeing her grow so that with time she will continue to progress. If she were to stay on a L2 team and her coaches worked with them on tumbling to help them continue to grow I would feel completely different.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it's given me a lot to think about which one my whole reason in asking!

I just called another local gym to schedule CP a trial tumbling class. At least I can check out the other gym. Plus thier All Star team is practicing at the same time so I'll be able to watch!

It's not about her staying on a L2 team. It's really just about seeing her grow so that with time she will continue to progress. If she were to stay on a L2 team and her coaches worked with them on tumbling to help them continue to grow I would feel completely different.

I think where most people are confused is that the vast, vast majority of gyms out there include tumbling classes that are seperate from team "cheer" classes in the tuition. My CP's tuition was $115 a month, which included her mini 2 (2 hours once per week) her J2 team (2.5 hours once a week) and tumbling (1 hour once a week).

I'll go with the minority opinion here, coming from someone who has had the same thoughts. Our situation is slightly different but I think all my points apply. Like any question, a LOT really comes down to the individual athlete. One big thing I have def seen in our experience that addicted2cheer mentioned, is that once the season starts the focus really shifts towards the routine as a whole. So I definitely get how taking a year off, to focus solely on tumbling looks like an option.

So you have to ask, if you stepped away from the team, is your athlete really prepared to keep up regular privates? If not having that mandatory schedule at the gym is not going to keep them there, then you may not see the results you are hoping for. Also, how is your athlete with other aspects of the routine? Namely the stunting and building, the things you can't obviously do as an individual. You don't want to necessarily improve one set of skills if at the cost of another diminishing. Will you supplement this time away with some type of additional conditioning? Any gained skills are all going to be for naught, if they lose the conditioning to actually throw them in the routine.

Again, its a case by case thing, but I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. For example, in our case, our schedule is so busy, that it's near impossible to put in the required open gym time to improve tumbling. So for us, it may be our only option to take a year off. If your athlete handles the schedule of privates, open gyms, and the team, then maybe time isn't the issue; and as others have pointed out, you may just need to look at different options for tumbling instruction.

How long has she had her level 2 skills?

Reason I am asking is because I have an 8 year old. She progresses a little faster than the norm and it takes a while even for kids like her to go from Level 2 to Level 3 tumbling. Their bodies have to be ready to tuck and once it happens the progression from Level 3 to 4 seems to happens a lot faster. I about died when my daughters tumble coach was talking about starting twisting with her last week. I told him not yet because I want the other skills to be perfect first, but that is just an example of how quick it starts to progress. Honestly it sounds like your gym is limited on the types of teams they can offer given that your 9 yr old is on a Jr. 2. Maybe the other local gym may have something that fits her age group better.

Good Luck!

I just happen to read you post in the Newbies section from February about your daughter not having a BHS yet. Congrats to her since she obviously now has it.

You say she has solid Level 2 skills......What to you are solid Level 2 skills? Can she do 5 perfect connected standing BHS? FWO RO BHS? My daughter had to have the aforementioned to start working on her tuck.

I took a year off this year to work on my tumbling skills. it really helped me. I actually told my coach that i was taking a year off, and he suggested that i could still fill in for someone who got hurt. if you're worried about your CP not being comfortable on the competition floor, talk to her coach about being considered for a fill in so then she can still maybe do 1 or 2 competitions this year:)

Back