All-Star Teal Reveal

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think this is a really interesting strategy but what I'm not understanding, isn't this what classes are for? If I'm a really good base and want to learn to fly, I feel like it makes more sense in term of time, money, and the burnout aspect of double teaming for me to just take a flyer class. To each their own and I have no doubt CSP has her reasons for this system but I feel like classes are more effective and more fair to achieve the same effect.
CEA does not "do" flyer classes to teach girls to fly. They learn it through practices or through privates with coaches (but that only gives new flyers a false sense of security.) Coed Elite boys used to have flyer camps to raise travel money. How does your gym do flyer classes? What kind of bases do they use? If you're trying to teach a 6 year old to stay up in the air with 7-10 years olds, where do you get 7-10 year olds to be the bases for this flyer class? Do you use volunteers from Jr & Sr teams? That only gives the new flyer a false sense the are doing it correctly so when they get back to their age and level appropriate team, the kids can't keep her up because she becomes spaghetti. All the CEA coaches know this.

CEA does not "do" flyer classes to teach girls to fly. They learn it through practices or through privates with coaches (but that only gives new flyers a false sense of security.) Coed Elite boys used to have flyer camps to raise travel money. How does your gym do flyer classes? What kind of bases do they use? If you're trying to teach a 6 year old to stay up in the air with 7-10 years olds, where do you get 7-10 year olds to be the bases for this flyer class? Do you use volunteers from Jr & Sr teams? That only gives the new flyer a false sense the are doing it correctly so when they get back to their age and level appropriate team, the kids can't keep her up because she becomes spaghetti. All the CEA coaches know this.

It may just be me, but I'd prefer a kid to learn a double down on experienced bases in flyers class or privates before she goes accidentally knocking teeth and breaking noses opening up because she's used to full downs. Yes, it's give flyers a false sense of security to learn skills on older, wiser, stronger bases. That security does wonders for their confidence when executing the same skill on bases who are learning to catch double downs. Or baskets. Or hold extended libs. No, not everyone needs to do them, nor should a gym rely on others to teach core skills. But I do think flyer privates and classes are an excellent tool in any gym's arsenal.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I hope this doesn't come across rude, but i don't understand why there is so much hype about a youth level 3 team.
Exactly what I was thinking! I mean, they're cute like any Youth team, and about the same level of talent as most Y3 teams I've seen as well! Maybe it's the name???

It may be more difficult for the little people bases to get them up, but you can still teach proper technique on senior aged bases. We use some of our senior 4 and 5 kids for classes. The flyers do a ton of drills (hang drills, proper technique on sponges, push off drills, etc.) and learn the technique that they'll need to fly on bases their own age.

Normally I'd agree, but the girl in question is TINY. Even in pictures with YE she's barely up to some of her teammate's shoulders. There's merit to having experience in all positions, but who on earth is she going to base with? By the sheer fact that she's so small she's basically a flyer by default.
She's a phenomenal level 5 flyer. She was on JE last season as well. She is little, but she's been w/CEA for over 5 years as well.

They do offer flyer classes. One of the HC's does a flyer flexibility and conditioning class and she's really good. It is extra but worth it. The flyer mentioned used to go to those classes regularly when my CP was there. Not sure if she does anymore, but IMO she doesn't really new to, lol.

She's a phenomenal level 5 flyer. She was on JE last season as well. She is little, but she's been w/CEA for over 5 years as well.

I think the flyer in question is amazing and just wanted to ask is she on GP to help less experianced bases base as she can hold herself in the air or is her tumbling not level 5 but I think her tumbling is?

I dont have an issue with GP at all mainly because my team has higher level bases and flyer on lower levels and it works and I feel the less experianced such as myself feel more confident backing/basing someone experianced so I dont have to worry about the flyer struggling and focus on hat I need to do to make the stunt work. Also with tumbling the more experianced will help and give pointers if we need them. I wish GP the best of luck with their season

I may be in the minority but I do not think it is my cp's responsibilty to "help" another lower skilled team in her same age bracket all season long. I could understand if another athlete was hurt and she was asked to fill in for a couple of practices or a comp or two, but otherwise I would want her on her skill appropriate team if she was only doing one team in her age bracket. Next season when she ages out of juniors and is only on one senior team, she plans to try out for her school team. Call me selfish but I think it is the gym's responsibility to make the best teams they can with the kids they have and not the most teams because they can. My cp on the other hand would probably be happy to do 2 senior teams at her gym next year if I let her.

Rereading this, it comes off a little harsh. But when I see a kid for example who is flying on a 2 junior teams one of which is obviously below her skill level, I look at it as a spot taken away from a flyer on a lower team who could have been taught and improved on those skills that season rather than using the superior one in both spots.
I totally understand... my CP was able to do High School also. The gym asked she could not say no, so momma caved!! Last year she only did only team though!! We traveled to do a level 5 team, she had an awesome last season!! Now we are off to Hawaii Pacific for Acro and Tumbling!!

Back