High School Team Building

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 11, 2014
what are your favorite team building exercises that really bring your team together and create positivity?

I have coordinated "The Amazing Race" a few times and it was a favorite with the team. You need at least 4 adults or volunteers (could be an older kid) to help though and 6 is better. We used stunt groups for teams. We had 6 challenges, where the group had to perform a task (some were physical type tasks, some were "brain-type" tasks), once the group performed the challenge they got a clue and they had to go find an item (we did all cheer related - a cheer shoe, a banner, a pom, etc) and bring it back. First team to do all 6 tasks and find all 6 items won. We followed with a team dinner (just a cook out or pot luck at the house).

Forget team building activities.

Go to Proactive Coaching's website and purchase the DVD "Teambuilding through Positive Conditioning."

Take the concepts from that DVD and make them cheer-appropriate.

If you need help, message me and I'll share how we did it.

It will completely change the work ethic of your athletes.

I'm always about the more we can do together OUTSIDE of cheer, the closer they become. We do a lot of team building. To be competitive nationally I feel like you have to have a team that works together and cares about eachother, or it's a losing battle. Some of our favorites are pool parties, lock-ins/sleepovers at girls houses, scavenger hunts, spontaneous game day instead of practice (as in playing games), intersquad talent show or karaoke, going to the trampoline park, holiday parties (christmas, haunted house, bonfires), team dinners, bowling, and I think the most favorite for the girls is laser tag.

We do a lot of team building incorporated into cheer practice as well if you're looking for those type of ideas.

We also use community service events as team building. We try to do something every month all season long.

I didn't do high school but what made my team stronger in all star was for the coach to each assign an athletes with another athletes name and have them write something positive. Our coach then made them in bag tags and they got handed out at comp without anyone knowing who wrote it. It bought the team closer and would work for most scenarios. Also team meals work well too

We've done a ton with my high school team. Any type of party you can do works well, pool, pizza, etc. my girls have organized sleepovers and movie days on their own. We did a home "camp" and played a bunch of games that I found on websites or did in my own cheer years. The girls start coming up with their own ideas outside of practice too. Another thing I make sure to do is have all 3 squads start practice together, they warm-up and stretch together. Also I require Varsity to be there and watch JV's halftime on game days.

Back