All-Star Team Xxx

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

kksmom

Cheer Parent
Jan 9, 2016
Question

Competition (one day) A
Your team hits their routine and due to difficulty you beat team xxx with a huge gap. Team xxx parents even comment how difficult your routine is and comment on it amongs themselves (your hear them talk in awards).

Competition (two day) B
Your team hits their routine as well as team xxx neither routine has changed. Scoring comes out and at this competition team xxx now is ahead of you by 1.4 points (raw score)
I am not even going into day two as you can imagine how this is ending...
I just would like to hear some thoughts... How would anyone NOT assume this was rigged? This stinks to heaven! I don't mind loosing fair and square if the girls mess up - it's ok to loose. It is a good learning experience and you don't always deserve to win. But when you hear other teams talk about how team xxx ended up in 1st place after day one I know it's not just us...

You'll have to refresh my memory on the division we're talking about, I think it's Mini's---the reality is, all EPs use their own score sheets. While some of the EPs have moved to Universal Scoring, not all of them have. Scoring is a subjective part of cheerleading and sometimes things just don't make sense. To say something is rigged has delved into he realm of Susie's mom that I'm not comfortable with---difficulty only helps so much, likely the team scored higher on things like technique, sharpness, and overall appeal.

Yes - everyone hit... No deductions just great variation in difficulty as determine by big gap in scoring from first comp (and obvious things as in parents noticing)sorry about the xxx should have probably fine with team a and b

Varsity Scoring at both comps

Yes - everyone hit... No deductions just great variation in difficulty as determine by big gap in scoring from first comp (and obvious things as in parents noticing)sorry about the xxx should have probably fine with team a and b

Varsity Scoring at both comps

Team A or B maybe would have been safer, but you have to remember judging panels differ from comp to comp even with the same scoring. And trust me---parents will always talk. They'll talk if their team did good, they'll talk if their team did bad, they'll tell you "Oh I thought you should have won" and turn around and tell the winning team "Oh I knew you were going to win." You can't judge anything that happens out on the mat off what parents say---the average adult is going to conform to societal norms and that doesn't generally bode well for brutal honesty.

My CP's team (also a Mini team) was in a situation not too long ago where they won despite the stunt fall. Everyone else in their division hit and they didn't and I know people talked. The key is to avoid those talking---I don't need to hear that they shouldn't have won anymore than I need someone to tell me they knew my kid's team was going to win. You have to remove yourself from that circle or it becomes a very viscous cycle that you can't escape.

Question

Competition (one day) A
Your team hits their routine and due to difficulty you beat team xxx with a huge gap. Team xxx parents even comment how difficult your routine is and comment on it amongs themselves (your hear them talk in awards).

Competition (two day) B
Your team hits their routine as well as team xxx neither routine has changed. Scoring comes out and at this competition team xxx now is ahead of you by 1.4 points (raw score)
I am not even going into day two as you can imagine how this is ending...
I just would like to hear some thoughts... How would anyone NOT assume this was rigged? This stinks to heaven! I don't mind loosing fair and square if the girls mess up - it's ok to loose. It is a good learning experience and you don't always deserve to win. But when you hear other teams talk about how team xxx ended up in 1st place after day one I know it's not just us...
The bolded part answered your question. It's not always how a team looks. It's how they hit the scoresheet. It may seem that the routine hasn't changed, but if the % of athletes doing a skill changes, it can make a HUGE difference.

The bolded part answered your question. It's not always how a team looks. It's how they hit the scoresheet. It may seem that the routine hasn't changed, but if the % of athletes doing a skill changes, it can make a HUGE difference.
This. Plus it doesn't even have to just be the skills to increase the raw score. Sharper motions, cleaner transitions, better technique, etc can all greatly impact your raw score.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Execution is key, no matter what division. On day one, your CP's team could've performed with awesome technique and pointed toes, straight legs in tumbling, sharp motions, etc. and maybe Team XXX hit too but wasn't as clean and had bent legs in BWO's, jumps that weren't together, no facials etc. Day two, however your CP's team could've performed the same (or less clean) but Team XXX killed it in execution and performed with more attitude. I've found in cheer that it really does come down to the little things in your routine sometimes.
ETA: just realized this is basically what @luv2cheer92 said, lol.

If there is ever a Team XXX one day in the future, I expect it to be from TG.

Back