All-Star Teams Only Going To Worlds On Paid Bids

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Other than the reason for the expenses, which I can understand, but not going because they don't think they will place well is REALLY bad sportsmanship... JMO..

However, at the end of the day, this industry is a business to many, so it makes sense why gyms do that.

how is that bad sportsmanship? it has nothing to do with sportsmanship. the point of worlds is for one team to win and become world champions... not just go for "the experience" and run around disney for a week. if you/your coaches do not believe you can make finals/top ten/globe, why waste everyone's time and money to find out what you already found out at the 10 "nationals" you've already attended?

Other than the reason for the expenses, which I can understand, but not going because they don't think they will place well is REALLY bad sportsmanship... JMO..

However, at the end of the day, this industry is a business to many, so it makes sense why gyms do that.

How exactly is it bad sportsmanship? I don't see that at all. There are many competitions to choose from, why is making a choice not to attend that particular one have anything to do with sportsmanship?

...To be honest, if I didn't have a fair shot at top 10 I don't know that I'd wanna go.

Is the experience of competing in a fairly empty Milkhouse to a lukewarm crowd really a good experience? Some of those teams who DO go get TRASHED for even being there in the first place. If I didn't get at least a partial paid I'd hate to spend all that money just to compete ONE day- and even if you DO get partial, sometimes it's only one day. That's a hefty price tag and a lot of heartache to base Worlds around.

Granted, there have been some EXCEPTIONAL teams (Kentucky Elite Lady Katz didn't get a bid that one year) who never got one. So it's not a perfect thing.

...To be honest, if I didn't have a fair shot at top 10 I don't know that I'd wanna go.

Is the experience of competing in a fairly empty Milkhouse to a lukewarm crowd really a good experience? Some of those teams who DO go get TRASHED for even being there in the first place. If I didn't get at least a partial paid I'd hate to spend all that money just to compete ONE day- and even if you DO get partial, sometimes it's only one day. That's a hefty price tag and a lot of heartache to base Worlds around.

Granted, there have been some EXCEPTIONAL teams (Kentucky Elite Lady Katz didn't get a bid that one year) who never got one. So it's not a perfect thing.

Just a thought - While everyone may be "trashing" those that go to worlds on a AL bid, money they pay the EPs sure helps pay the cost for paid teams. In other words, if ONLY those who expect to get paid bids go to the competitions offering bids the EPs wouldn't be signing those Paid Bid checks too quickly. Be careful what you wish for.

I'm looking forward to the day (and I believe it will happen) that "small unknown gym" rises out of the AL group and wins it all!!
It happens every once in a while that an AL, underdog team places well. Check out Basics Superstars from 2007 or LA CF from 2014. Both teams weren't in the spotlight and took everyone by surprise. However, if you are a good, consistent team and you go to competitions with paid bids, you are likely to get one of those bids. I think that's why it doesn't happen that often. If it does, it's usually because a team couldn't get it together until Worlds.

I'm looking forward to the day (and I believe it will happen) that "small unknown gym" rises out of the AL group and wins it all!!
While not unknown teams, teams have won on an AL bid before, it's just not common. And relatively "unknown" teams have placed in the top 3 before as well.

Our team only goes on paid bids which really don't cover the cost.
Our team travels extensively and has already competed against the same teams we will see at Worlds.
We would not even consider going without a paid.
This isn't an important question, I'm really just curious and you may not even know the answer, but have Shooting Stars ever not earned a paid bid to Worlds and thus not gone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While AL teams have placed, globed, and won, it will be rare for an unknown gym to win it all. Not because they can't, but because of the impact social media has in our sport, chances are we would know who they are. Are there Cinderella stories, every year. But I'd be shocked if someone came out of nowhere and won a club division.

I agree it's hard for an at large team to win. There's an advantage of going straight to semis for the paid bid recipients, then the al teams that do make it to semis, go first before the paids in semis

Pretty obvious who's favored to make it all the way. Might as well use a Scarlett letter

this was the case with Cali Bangerz this year. a lot of the boys were not going to be able to pay for worlds this late in the season on an AL Bid, so a handful of girls from bangerz will be commuting to Arizona to compete at worlds with Cali Sparkle this season!

Are they kicking team members off of Sparkle to make room for the Bangerz girls or have they been using cross competitors from other level 5 teams

I agree it's hard for an at large team to win. There's an advantage of going straight to semis for the paid bid recipients, then the al teams that do make it to semis, go first before the paids in semis

Pretty obvious who's favored to make it all the way. Might as well use a Scarlett letter

Especially with comparative scoring - or whatever they will be used this year.

Are they kicking team members off of Sparkle to make room for the Bangerz girls or have they been using cross competitors from other level 5 teams
well I spoke to one of the girls on sparkle last night and was told that they have girls out because of injuries and also girls who couldn't afford to go to worlds that had to quit as well and a few of there flyers are hurt as well. isn't there like a set number of people that can be switched out for worlds after a team has received a bid? because she told me that about 10 girls were coming to practice from bangerz this Saturday

well I spoke to one of the girls on sparkle last night and was told that they have girls out because of injuries and also girls who couldn't afford to go to worlds that had to quit as well and a few of there flyers are hurt as well. isn't there like a set number of people that can be switched out for worlds after a team has received a bid? because she told me that about 10 girls were coming to practice from bangerz this Saturday
It's 10, and 7 of those 10 would have had to have competed with Cali at the comp where Sparkle got their bid.

Last edited:
Back