High School Tension In A Stunt Group

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 8, 2010
This would happen alot my junior year, we had 2 sisters in one group, and the other was 2 girls who were having boy issues.. i'll spare you the details.
We tried alot of "trust" and "bonding" activities but it didn't seem to end the feuds. Any suggestions OTHER than switching stunt groups? I dont know if this happens alot with cheer teams, because from what our rivals display- their team is like a family. Stories and help please?

This happened once with us. Now I have to give you the story so sorry in advance haha.

There was one stunt group with my friend who was the flyer and Suzie the back spot. Suzie was a freshman (extremely immature at that) who got mad easily at my friend Sally. She always thought her and Sally were in a fight when really, Sally didn't have a problem with her. The situation got to the point where Suzie was telling Sally she wasn't going to catch her if she fell again and she wasn't going to hold her ankle if it started to roll. Sally is too nice to say anything mean or fight back and was the only one nice to Suzie on the team (as you see she had a bad attitude). Our coach found out what she was saying and she had a talk to her, like a stern talk. No stunt groups were switched or anything and the problem was solved. You can't force a team together because realistically, not everyone is going to like each other, you just have to respect each other enough. Our team was close excluding 2 people, but most of the time those 2 people didn't matter and we were close as close could be:)

From past experience, you just have to let a coach set a ground rule that whenever you're in the gym, outside matters don't exist. No boy talk, no gossip, and no fighting. So I would just say tell your coach that he needs to give the entire team (not just the fighting group) a talk and do your best to follow their rules.

From past experience, you just have to let a coach set a ground rule that whenever you're in the gym, outside matters don't exist. No boy talk, no gossip, and no fighting. So I would just say tell your coach that he needs to give the entire team (not just the fighting group) a talk and do your best to follow their rules.

good point. thanks! i'm the captain thats why i was asking for advice, if activities don't work then yeah i guess a team talk is necessary

Team talk for sure.. if the problem persists, then the individuals causing problems need to be taken aside. I usually keep the sisters on my team on opposite sides of the mat/sideline formations :)

A team talk always works for us . When a team is actually a team, everything works so much better. Tell the coaches if nothing works, I'm sure they really wouldn't be too happy. Our coaches would threaten to replace cause of drama then suddenly everything got better. 2 girls on my team hate each other and have every reason to.. They're in the same stunt group and one used to fly on the other and they put it aside at practice for the sake of the team. A team talk or a talk with coaches should help :)

I dontthink u need to keep siblings on different sides of mat, I'm a triplet and me and my sisters are on the same team, and we never fight at cheer. I even based with one if my sisters last year.

I dontthink u need to keep siblings on different sides of mat, I'm a triplet and me and my sisters are on the same team, and we never fight at cheer. I even based with one if my sisters last year.

oh, im definitely not saying sisters can't work well together!! Just in my particular case, I knew we couldn't make it through a SINGLE practice without them bickering with eachother!

oh, im definitely not saying sisters can't work well together!! Just in my particular case, I knew we couldn't make it through a SINGLE practice without them bickering with eachother!

wow, i cant beileve those girls would be like fighting at cheer so bad they had to be seperated! thats crazy!

wow, i cant beileve those girls would be like fighting at cheer so bad they had to be seperated! thats crazy!

omg ours do like crazy, and theyre both bases... i feel bad for their flyer bc if i was her theres no way i would want to be in the air with them to underneath me..

A team talk always works for us . When a team is actually a team, everything works so much better. Tell the coaches if nothing works, I'm sure they really wouldn't be too happy. Our coaches would threaten to replace cause of drama then suddenly everything got better. 2 girls on my team hate each other and have every reason to.. They're in the same stunt group and one used to fly on the other and they put it aside at practice for the sake of the team. A team talk or a talk with coaches should help :)

thats awesome.. now how do we handle the attitudes? team talk as well.. cause when a stunt goes down all you hear is "wow guys really?" and "please do your job.." just nasty little comments. cause we've talked about being positive and encouraging each other.. but some people just cant shut the attitude off!

omg ours do like crazy, and theyre both bases... i feel bad for their flyer bc if i was her theres no way i would want to be in the air with them to underneath me..

Haha I wouldn't want to be their flyer either then.

Yeah, my team has attitudes.. So does every team. There's not much anybody can really do besides a team somewhat inspirational talk and threatening to take away spots. Some people just have to realize that if they want to win, you have to be a team. There shouldn't be a blame game or anything. My stunt group gets along wonderfully.. We all became best friends last year, the 4 of us still hang out almost everyday. No other group on our team does that & this year we get to keep our same stunt cause we work together great. When we fall, we talkcabout what happened and work at it until it's right. Sure, other girls say things and comment on things but we ignore them and stick together. We're probably the strongest group just because of how great we get along

Time for a sit down with the two cheerleaders and if they can't put the drama aside, the head coach needs to go down to the JVs and pull up a couple of replacements who want it.

I noticed if possible it's actually easier to have sisters in the SAME group. My best friend made Varsity the same year her younger sister did and there was a LOT of arguing over who was in the better group. If they are in the same group, they learn to work together rather than compete against each other.

As far as the drama goes, it works wonders when the person who was disrespectful watches the rest of the team run a short distance. The problem with most high school girls is they're WILLING to deal with personal consequences, so holding herself accountable for the rest of her team is the way to go sometimes.

Back