Thank You!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Honestly? Accept the position as base. Leave the placement decisions to the professionals.

You are taller than my cp and she is an awesome base on a senior team! She used to fly at her old gym too and knew when we moved she may not fly. She was ok with that, because she also knew she was moving to a gym that would get her where she wants to be. Her spot on the floor didn't matter to her as much as achieving her goals. Accept the position, keep an open mind. Being able to base and fly makes you a valuable asset!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

One thing I know for sure - the more you make an issue of it, the less likely you will fly for sure. No athlete is guaranteed any position for life, no matter their size, how long they have flown, or how long they have been in a program. It is always ironic to me that bases and backspots rarely if ever threaten to quit or leave a program if they are not basing/backspotting. So it is better to be flexible in whatever role you fulfill on a team. Coaches generally don't like ultimatums that question their decisions they make in the best interest of the program. Always remember program first, team second, individual third.

5'4" is actually pretty tall. Is this a senior team? How big is the team?

I think that taller kids need to be 10 times better at flying than smaller ones (5' and under) to compensate for their size, and they'd obviously need to be on an older senior team so there would be people strong enough to base them, but, as coaches have said on here. programs can often be in a position where there is nothing else that they can do w/ the smaller kids, so they have to make them flyers (even if the taller kids may be better at it). Maybe the other 5'4" girl flying is just a little bit more flexible and controlled and that's why she is flying more.

Depending on where you are, it may be too hard to find a gym where you will fly at 5'4" anyways, so if you want to cheer you should do what the coach needs you to do - they are saying you may get to do baskets and pyramid, so that is good! And it is a good sign that this gym does have another 5'4" flyer cause at least this means that size alone isn't the only thing they look at.

Why were you standing around at the old gym? Can you not tumble or jump? Was/is flying your only skill? That's a skill that's very fleeting as you grow - unless the gym has lots and lots of boys that can base girls of any size.

At the end of last season, CP's coach told the athletes that if they are ever asked about where they want to be on a team (base/flyer/backspot, etc) they should respond with "wherever you need me, Coach!" Learning all the different spots on a team only makes you a more valuable asset throughout your cheer career.

5'4" is actually pretty tall. Is this a senior team? How big is the team?

I think that taller kids need to be 10 times better at flying than smaller ones (5' and under) to compensate for their size, and they'd obviously need to be on an older senior team so there would be people strong enough to base them, but, as coaches have said on here. programs can often be in a position where there is nothing else that they can do w/ the smaller kids, so they have to make them flyers (even if the taller kids may be better at it). Maybe the other 5'4" girl flying is just a little bit more flexible and controlled and that's why she is flying more.

Depending on where you are, it may be too hard to find a gym where you will fly at 5'4" anyways, so if you want to cheer you should do what the coach needs you to do - they are saying you may get to do baskets and pyramid, so that is good! And it is a good sign that this gym does have another 5'4" flyer cause at least this means that size alone isn't the only thing they look at.

Why were you standing around at the old gym? Can you not tumble or jump? Was/is flying your only skill? That's a skill that's very fleeting as you grow - unless the gym has lots and lots of boys that can base girls of any size.

I am on a senior team and we are small right now. and at my old gym i have no idea why i stood behind a stunt. and yes I can tumble

I would also just say to try and accept this and do what your coaches want. I've been in a similar position and was really upset about the situation for me as a flyer last season, and am being switched to basing more. ): however, I started to realize how whatever position I am in, it's not about me personally but more as a team overall! That made me feel better about the switch, and I've still been flying just not as much!

This happened to me but I was taller than you, in high school I was 5'6" (now I'm 5'8") and my senior year I changed gyms. For the first competition, I flew elites and based/backed quantity, baskets, and pyramid. By the end of the season, I was flying in everything due to other girls not being able to do their part and people quitting. Personally, I didn't really care what position I did. I liked flying, and basing made me feel strong so I learned to liked it too. My advice is to just accept your position on the team. If you really love cheerleading, you'll find a love for basing, or at least learn to enjoy it enough to continue the sport. But being a serial gym hopper just so you can fly isn't the answer.

This happened to me but I was taller than you, in high school I was 5'6" (now I'm 5'8") and my senior year I changed gyms. For the first competition, I flew elites and based/backed quantity, baskets, and pyramid. By the end of the season, I was flying in everything due to other girls not being able to do their part and people quitting. Personally, I didn't really care what position I did. I liked flying, and basing made me feel strong so I learned to liked it too. My advice is to just accept your position on the team. If you really love cheerleading, you'll find a love for basing, or at least learn to enjoy it enough to continue the sport. But being a serial gym hopper just so you can fly isn't the answer.

I didn't leave my old gym because i wasn't flying. there were many many other reasons such as i wasn't growing in anything not tumbling or stunting. and there was coach who was very rude to me and i didnt want to be there anymore.

I didn't leave my old gym because i wasn't flying. there were many many other reasons such as i wasn't growing in anything not tumbling or stunting. and there was coach who was very rude to me and i didnt want to be there anymore.
It certainly sounded like you left for that reason when you stated you weren't featured or flying in the original post

Poster is a verified Cheer Dadans has the hat to prove it

- SO i recently moved gyms because my old gym was not featuring me and had me standing around the whole routine. And i am a flyer so during the elite section i stood behind a stunt..
and i had issues with some of the coaches

- now at my new gym first practice was great i had my own group and i was hitting everything. Then once all the flyers came to practice they started not putting me up and switching me in and out.

-now they claim i am too tall (i am 5'4 and about 100lbs), but there is a girl my size flying.Also they think i would be a better base. so they are making me base. I have talked to the coaches many times and told them I don't like basing. But they keep saying we can't make promises. but you can possibly fly in baskets and pyramid and we need you to stay on the team.

- what would you do if you were in my situation?

The truth is if they wanted and needed you for flying you would be flying. It is a team sport, trust your coaches, and be a team player. My advice would be to embrace basing, enjoy it, and make the most of it.

now they claim i am too tall (i am 5'4 and about 100lbs), but there is a girl my size flying.Also they think i would be a better base. so they are making me base. I have talked to the coaches many times and told them I don't like basing. But they keep saying we can't make promises. but you can possibly fly in baskets and pyramid and we need you to stay on the team.

- what would you do if you were in my situation?[/QUOTE]

Well I'm 5'2 and I'm the strongest backspot on my team (and also the shortest) I used to fly when I was little and they took me out of the air to base and I can't imagine what I would've turned out to he like if I kept flying. Embrace the base, you'll learn to love it and you'll soon see how valuable you are to your team

Yes, like others have said, accept the basing position. It doesn't matter if you don't "like" it, if you really want to cheer it won't matter what stunt position you are. I flew until my junior year, based for about 2 years (which I loved) and now I fly on my college team. To add, I'm 5'4 and 116 lbs. Height, weight, whatever doesn't matter. It's where the coaches need you. I've seen bases smaller than their flyers. Soo yeah that's just my two cents

Back