OT Thankful For Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jan 11, 2012
So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving being next week, my speech teacher decided to assign us a speech that had to be about what we are thankful for. It could be anything, so of course, I choose cheerleading. :) I know there are probably a few grammatical and spelling errors, but I can fix those. I decided to post my speech and see what y'all think about it. Enjoy! :)

As weird as this sounds; I am thankful for cheerleading. I know it is kind of weird to be thankful for a sport, most people would say they are thankful for their parents or somebody, but I am truthfully thankful for cheerleading. I am thankful for my team, my coaches, and I am thankful for having the opportunity to cheer. Without cheerleading, I wouldn’t be the person I am today.
I am thankful for my team because I can be myself around them. They don’t care how crazy I act; they still love me for who I am. We have all been through the same long, grueling practices together, the same let downs of not winning a competition, and we have all been there for the glorious moments of winning a competition. That moment in itself is special, but by spending it with my teammates, just makes it even better. My team is like my family. All of us have experienced pain, happiness, and despair, but we are always there for each other. Yeah, we may argue with each other, but at the end of the day, we are one big family, and I know that they will never let me down.
I am thankful for my coaches. Just like my team is my “brothers and sisters”, my coaches are my “parents”. They celebrate with me when something good happens, and they also comfort and guide me when I’m upset and do not know what to do. I can honestly say that my coaches probably know more about some stuff than my parents do. Some of you may not understand that, but it’s the truth. You see, the bond between a parent and child is one of love, you don’t always have trust in each other. However, the bond between a coach and an athlete is different. I literally have to trust my coaches with my life. When they spot me on tumbling, they could decide not to do it, they could just walk away in the middle of me doing something which could lead to me getting seriously injured or killed. But the thing is, they don’t. I trust them with my life and any number of things that I’ve had to deal with. They are always there for me on matter what is going on in my life, and they also understand some of the things I am going through better than my parents do. When I was told that I probably had to quit cheering, my world collapsed. Cheerleading is “my” thing. I didn’t want to stop. Yes, my parents understood that I was upset, but they didn’t understand it fully. My coaches did, and they were there for me. I was frustrated with myself, I was angry at everybody, and I was extremely upset. I was a complete and utter wreck. But, my coaches were there for me through all of the tears, anger, and frustration.
I am extremely thankful for cheerleading. This is because I can honestly say cheerleading has saved my life. I may have said that I hated the 3 hour long practices, but I didn’t. I was actually glad for them, because I could escape from all of the issues and crap I had to deal with. Yeah, it was only for 3 hours, but that was 3 hours of my life that I wasn’t dwelling all the things life was throwing at me. Also, tumbling is a way for me to get out all of my anger or frustration, and it helped me out immensely. Whenever I was angry, I tumbled. Whenever I was frustrated, I tumbled. Whenever I was upset, I tumbled. It didn’t matter to me that I had numerous bruises, extremely sore muscles, or that I was crying because of the physical pain I was going through. I welcomed it, because it made me stronger, both mentally and physically.
So you see, I am extremely thankful for cheerleading. I am thankful for the people I’ve met, the experiences it has given me, and the lessons I’ve learned. But at the same time, it’s kind of upsetting. It hurts to know I will probably never be able to be on that stage again with my team, nor will I ever be able to go to Worlds and compete in front of thousands of people. To some people this may not seem like a big deal, but to me, it is. Having to be told that you probably won’t be able to compete anymore; is the worst feeling in the world. But despite all the pain, frustration, and struggle cheerleading has put me through, I am extremely thankful for it. Because without it, I wouldn’t be the person I am today.

Back