All-Star That One Stunt Group....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 26, 2012
I think we all have that one weak stunt group on our teams... And I know it can get frustrating...:banghead: I really needed to let this out! Feel free to vent about your weak stunt groups!:p

The group will have the stunt watered down just for them, and the bases are giant with a 50lbs flyer! We compete in about 2 weeks, and we've had our routine since July!!!! The weak group hasn't hit the stunt once, while my group and all of the other groups have been hitting it consistently since early Sept!!! Oh, yeah they have a front spot too... I don't know what they were thinking when they put that group together, we have one absolutely beast group, with 2 amazing bases, and then we have them... :mad:

I feel a lot better now that I got that off my chest! :p

I think we all have that one weak stunt group on our teams... And I know it can get frustrating...:banghead: I really needed to let this out! Feel free to vent about your weak stunt groups!:p

The group will have the stunt watered down just for them, and the bases are giant with a 50lbs flyer! We compete in about 2 weeks, and we've had our routine since July!!!! The weak group hasn't hit the stunt once, while my group and all of the other groups have been hitting it consistently since early Sept!!! Oh, yeah they have a front spot too... I don't know what they were thinking when they put that group together, we have one absolutely beast group, with 2 amazing bases, and then we have them... :mad:

I feel a lot better now that I got that off my chest! :p

I know switching people out isn't a popular decision for a coach, but that may really help. Take a base from the beast stunt group and switch with the weak group.

At our old gym, my daughter was the flyer for "that" stunt group. It's frustrating for the kids in the group too. It was really frustrating for my daughter, because the flyer, especially a baby on a senior team, gets blamed most of the time. I wonder if the strong stunt group could come in and work with the weak one. Let the flyer fly on the strong bases so she knows how it's supposed to feel and to see if she needs to make corrections, let people switch around and see if there are little technique issues that need to be corrected. Watering down a stunt doesn't really help.

A team is only as strong as it's weakest group.

Good luck, I'm sorry you're team is going through this, I promise the weak group feels worse.

Do they go to the gym and work on their own time or take a group private with a coach to figure out the problem?

On one of our other teams, this one stunt group was having issues since choreography. Well the mom has her flyer in normal stunt privates and asked the group to come in and work the stunt with the coach. It sure did benefit them because they looked amazing at showoff. At this point, it needs to really be a team effort by that stunt group in particular and the parents. Good luck!!

:( Both of my girls have "that" group this year. And they are both the flyers. So this subject is hard for me. My oldest isn't the best at flying for sure, but she tries her hardest and fights for her life to keep the stunt in the air but always manages to land back left stunt. This year she just can't hit consistently at all. I always feel like she's been given a not-so-strong set of bases and doesn't get the chance to prove she can do better. But it is what it is and I can't change it. So we'll see. She'll either get taken out or the stunt will get watered down but there doesn't seem to be any desire from the coaches to switch people around a little.

My youngest CP landed point flyer on J5 this year and had been doing great til 2 weeks ago when our boy got injured and is out for the season. Her secondary base became a back spot and she was given a new secondary base. Now she can't hit ANYTHING but it definitely seems to be her, not the bases. I had our strongest group of bases try and put her up and she was knocking them out straight to the floor. It is crazy! I have NO clue what changed in her that caused her to go from amazing to scary. But we have a showing this weekend and another girl has a broken finger so my CP's backspot is now backspotting a different group and now my daughter isn't even flying at all. :( So she went from POINT to not even flying at all. So very sad and this has devastated her. So here we are 1 week out of competition and both of my girls are "that" flyer.

I'm guessing this season isn't going to be very fun in the Gutierrez household. :(

:( Both of my girls have "that" group this year. And they are both the flyers. So this subject is hard for me. My oldest isn't the best at flying for sure, but she tries her hardest and fights for her life to keep the stunt in the air but always manages to land back left stunt. This year she just can't hit consistently at all. I always feel like she's been given a not-so-strong set of bases and doesn't get the chance to prove she can do better. But it is what it is and I can't change it. So we'll see. She'll either get taken out or the stunt will get watered down but there doesn't seem to be any desire from the coaches to switch people around a little.

My youngest CP landed point flyer on J5 this year and had been doing great til 2 weeks ago when our boy got injured and is out for the season. Her secondary base became a back spot and she was given a new secondary base. Now she can't hit ANYTHING but it definitely seems to be her, not the bases. I had our strongest group of bases try and put her up and she was knocking them out straight to the floor. It is crazy! I have NO clue what changed in her that caused her to go from amazing to scary. But we have a showing this weekend and another girl has a broken finger so my CP's backspot is now backspotting a different group and now my daughter isn't even flying at all. :( So she went from POINT to not even flying at all. So very sad and this has devastated her. So here we are 1 week out of competition and both of my girls are "that" flyer.

I'm guessing this season isn't going to be very fun in the Gutierrez household. :(
Mental blocks can happen in stunting too! last year on my Senior 4, through out the season my flyer broke my nose and hurt both of the bases to the point where they had to be switched out temporarily (at seperate times) When we finally got our group back together we could not hit a full up to cupie to save our lives, when we were originally the most consistent group on the team. it took a couple weeks but we finally got our act together. We were having such a hard time because our fly was so upset about hurting all of us.

Mental blocks can happen in stunting too! last year on my Senior 4, through out the season my flyer broke my nose and hurt both of the bases to the point where they had to be switched out temporarily (at seperate times) When we finally got our group back together we could not hit a full up to cupie to save our lives, when we were originally the most consistent group on the team. it took a couple weeks but we finally got our act together. We were having such a hard time because our fly was so upset about hurting all of us.

My youngest just happened to start going "mental" on her running full about two weeks ago....maybe it is a mental block sort of thing. Which makes it worse because those seem to take a while to get through. Some never getting past it. :(

My youngest just happened to start going "mental" on her running full about two weeks ago....maybe it is a mental block sort of thing. Which makes it worse because those seem to take a while to get through. Some never getting past it. :(
That's what it sounds like to me. When that happened to my group last year, I believe my flyer was mental with her tumbling also

As the mom of bases who've been beaten to death and lost blood, sweat, tears and teeth to stunt groups I find it, at least a bit, refreshing that the flyer cared. My CPs usually get the hairy eyeball from the flyer that just took them out and an accusation that it was their fault. A simple, "I'm sorry" would be nice when you didn't squeeze your double down and your feet turned into the helicopter-blades-of-death would be nice occasionally.

As the mom of bases who've been beaten to death and lost blood, sweat, tears and teeth to stunt groups I find it, at least a bit, refreshing that the flyer cared. My CPs usually get the hairy eyeball from the flyer that just took them out and an accusation that it was their fault. A simple, "I'm sorry" would be nice when you didn't squeeze your double down and your feet turned into the helicopter-blades-of-death would be nice occasionally.
Can I shimmy this a million times? Love it as my daughter bases and has been beaten to bits by her flyer this season without one sorry being said.

I also noticed a correlation between stunting issues an tumbling blocks.

Last year I had a flyer that didn't even try and I know it's true because I had girls yers older come and tell me that I wasn't doing anything wrong and that I tried so hard just to have the flyer not try. It is the same for the other bases. But I was given glare after glare and nobody was ever blamed but me, even coaches only corrected me, which I appreciated at first. Then I realized they were correcting me on something that I couldn't fix because my shoulder tends to randomly pop out and I can't ever get it back in until I'm not holdin the flyer. At the last competition we spent an hour on the stunt with basicly the whole gym spotting, after (like the twentiths correction) I just broke down crying and was made fun of. I finally told the coaches that I was so frustrated and wanted to quit because I tried so hard to fix everything I was corrected on but all I ET got glares and rude remarks from my flyer. I have the same problem this year, it truely sucks and I know what your CP is going through.

Back