All-Star The Best Of The Best At Summit 2014

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

exactly this! but you can't compare a switch up or tick tock at a level 3 prep to a double up to a high to high at an extension: the risk of that stunt hitting and executing is much greater.. thus it is given a higher raw score. As having watched my daughter climb the USASF levels 1-5 some of it is simple physics with very little room for error. There is a big jump up between level 3-4 stunting in terms of keeping that flyer in the air. Sure stunts have gotten much more creative and give much of the illusion of those exciting level 5 stunts but there is still a difference. As I said before At THIS type of competition and the difficulty in earning bids.. (practically harder than Worlds bids IMHO) NO level 3 and below teams should be dropping ANY stunts.
Stunts are stunts, no matter what the level things can go wrong and people can fall. Levels 1-5.

And, there were WAY less dropped stunts at the Summit. I watched for several hours and I think I only saw one. So I'm kind of confused why we're giving the Summit teams a hard time and telling them there's no excuse to drop their stunts when they didn't drop them.....

Our youth 1 & senior 2 hit perfect. Unfortunately, our junior 3 had 2 stunts fall and our senior 4 had 1 stunt fall. Our girls were devastated. My heart broke for them.

Stunts are stunts, no matter what the level things can go wrong and people can fall. Levels 1-5.

And, there were WAY less dropped stunts at the Summit. I watched for several hours and I think I only saw one. So I'm kind of confused why we're giving the Summit teams a hard time and telling them there's no excuse to drop their stunts when they didn't drop them.....

no one said that... no one was giving them a hard time.... I know they didn't drop them and of course things can happen at any level. you're missing the point... no one is knocking the teams...

no one said that... no one was giving them a hard time.... I know they didn't drop them and of course things can happen at any level. you're missing the point... no one is knocking the teams...
I must have misunderstood then. But I don't really agree that just because the stunts are supposed to be easier there's no excuse to drop them. If we're going to hold Summit teams to the "no drop" standard then we also need to do the same for Worlds teams since they are supposed to be the best of the best.

I must have misunderstood then. But I don't really agree that just because the stunts are supposed to be easier there's no excuse to drop them. If we're going to hold Summit teams to the "no drop" standard then we also need to do the same for Worlds teams since they are supposed to be the best of the best.
Not really geared towards you, but I'm using this as a jumping off point. Yes the lower leveled stunts are easier, but they are performed by athletes who are only performing to their abilities, if that makes sense. For example, a half up to prep is difficult for lower level cheerleader because that's where their ability lies. Unless, of course, you have a team of higher level athletes performing lower leveled stunts...

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Not really geared towards you, but I'm using this as a jumping off point. Yes the lower leveled stunts are easier, but they are performed by athletes who are only performing to their abilities, if that makes sense. For example, a half up to prep is difficult for lower level cheerleader because that's where their ability lies. Unless, of course, you have a team of higher level athletes performing lower leveled stunts...

Exactly what I was trying to say, you just worded it better than I could.

The level system is there for more than just tumbling.

I have to say, reading yours and @yooolizzi 's posts I got the same impression. Do you really believe that because a team is a level 1-3, they should never drop a stunt?

I have to say, reading yours and @yooolizzi 's posts I got the same impression. Do you really believe that because a team is a level 1-3, they should never drop a stunt?
I believe it's a lot harder for things to go wrong at lower levels. Can they fall? Sure yeah anyone can, but it's harder for a double braced extended stunt to fall than an individual extended stunt. When the difficulty is increased, so is the risk of falling.

I watched all of our final sr3 coed division and of the 10 teams only 3 had stunt issues top 7 did not have any. Also Our Sr 2 team had no stunt problems but still did not make finals so Summit definitely was a great competition full of amazing teams

I would agree that it's harder for things to go wrong when a level 5 athlete is the one performing the level 3 stunt.

Put the same ideas on tumbling. That's like saying it's harder to bust a double full than a RO handspring tuck. While the double may be known as more difficult and get rewarded with more points, the handspring tuck is going to pose just as big of a challenge to that athlete that maxes out at level 3 skills.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think anyone should drop stunts to matter what the level. But those full up to preps may not come as easy to those level 3 athletes as they do to the level 5 ones.

Last edited:
See! I told everyone- 10+ pages and there's a golden moment in every thread!
I would agree that it's harder for things to go wrong when a level 5 athlete is the one performing the level 3 stunt.

Put the same ideas on tumbling. That's like saying it's harder to bust a double full than a RO handspring tuck. While the double may be known as more difficult and get rewarded with more points, the handspring tuck is going to pose just as big of a challenge to that athlete that maxes out at level 3 skills.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think anyone should drop stunts to matter what the level. But those full up to preps may not come as easy to those level 3 athletes as they do to the level 5 ones.
Yes, in theory. I would also argue that with lower levels for most part stunts have more people than they do at higher level.

In a perfect world, nobody drops period. I would, however, expect more difficulty for a level 5 and a double up than I would from a level 3 full up to prep. If only because as of where we are now, stunts for level 5 have greatly passed current general ability versus levels 1-3. Standards for lower levels to exceed haven't changed much in the last 5 years. Standards for Worlds teams? Seem to change every 5 minutes lol.

I can't agree more! this is why I am so happy that worlds will eliminate 1/3 of the at large bids next year. Summit bids are WAY harder to get being those teams have to compete with 5 other levels..(all levels except the sr 5's) Those teams are at the top of their game.

no but at THIS level of competition and the stability of the stunts it is expected. Much as I would expect worlds bid winners to be close to the same.

Wait so y'all think so stunts should fall levels 1-3? Yes they are easier than level 5 stunts.....for the level 5 athlete. Those who are true to their level, it is just as hard FOR THEM to do the stunts as it is for a level 5 kid. In theory they are "easier" but the purpose of levels is to seperate by skill level. So it's all relative. Stunts are stunts, cheer is cheer and some people have different skills than others but it's all hard. I may have the unpopular opinion but I feel strongly about it

Wait so y'all think so stunts should fall levels 1-3? Yes they are easier than level 5 stunts.....for the level 5 athlete. Those who are true to their level, it is just as hard FOR THEM to do the stunts as it is for a level 5 kid. In theory they are "easier" but the purpose of levels is to seperate by skill level. So it's all relative. Stunts are stunts, cheer is cheer and some people have different skills than others but it's all hard. I may have the unpopular opinion but I feel strongly about it

Nah girl! Speak ya mind. I maxed out at level 4 but still had a long and meaningful cheer career (as evident by me being 23 and like 7 years retired and still here chatting about cheer) so I'm always going to rep for the lower levels. I do the same thing to my sister when she tried to tell me how flyers were the stars of the routine and no one else was as important. Well in all my years my feet never left the ground into a stunt and I still felt pretty important, so you can bet I put her in her place quick.

I think we're all kind of in agreement on most things here. The Summit is definitely the best of the best in levels 1-4, so stunts should hit. (and they did) But I don't think it's because those stunts are "easy", I think it was because those are just really good teams.

Back