All-Star The Cheerleader Test On Non Competition Weekends...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

John Butler

Cheer Parent
Dec 27, 2010
Having three daughters in cheer makes for some pretty busy weekends during the season. Funny thing is, on weekends where we don't have competitions, we find outselves all staring blankly at each other wondering what to do... LOLOL!

Typical conversation (probably from this past weekend)... "Hmmm... Okay girls, what do you want to do this weekend? ... Blank stare... Blank stare... " ... "Bowling?... Beach?... Movies?... Target?... Drive around aimlessly?..."

Daughter #1 "Hey, let's go to Triple threat, they have open tumbling and some stretching classes."

In case people notice: I did shimmy this. Remember that I'm not Catholic so I really didn't have to give up anything for Lent.

I guess my daughter's young enough and easily entertained enough that we don't want for things to do on non-cheer weekends. But between my son and relatives, we're still usually off to some event or family gathering.

What's a non cheer weekend?!?! LOL. We still have Sunday practice but my cp uses the time to finally see non cheer friends or even just veg oout.

LOL... there's not many of them, but this is one of those weekends where there's no practice or comp. Of course, next weekend it's back to the gym for some extra practice time before Worlds... and pretty much the same until April 30. I just
find it funny that my kids, despite living at the gym, prefer that over all of their other choices.

For any parent out there who is reading these posts and thinking about putting your kids in cheerleading; and you are weighing out the good and the bad, just know this: it is an incredible outlet to plug your children into to help take away the attractiveness of ALL the other BAD STUFF out there that they might be getting themselves into if they were left to themselves to find things to do.

"The whole world got itself in a big dang hurry"... it's one of my favorite quotes from the movie The Shawshank Redemption. I for one am glad that my kids are so dialed into cheerleading. I as a parent much prefer sitting in the gym watching them amaze me with their talent then knowing they're at the local Mickey D's next to the movie theater probably up to no good ;-).

what do i do on a non-cheer weekend?.
SLEEP ALL DAY! get on fierce board or drive around aimlessly with my brother lol.

LOL... there's not many of them, but this is one of those weekends where there's no practice or comp. Of course, next weekend it's back to the gym for some extra practice time before Worlds... and pretty much the same until April 30. I just
find it funny that my kids, despite living at the gym, prefer that over all of their other choices.

For any parent out there who is reading these posts and thinking about putting your kids in cheerleading; and you are weighing out the good and the bad, just know this: it is an incredible outlet to plug your children into to help take away the attractiveness of ALL the other BAD STUFF out there that they might be getting themselves into if they were left to themselves to find things to do.
"The whole world got itself in a big dang hurry"... it's one of my favorite quotes from the movie The Shawshank Redemption. I for one am glad that my kids are so dialed into cheerleading. I as a parent much prefer sitting in the gym watching them amaze me with their talent then knowing they're at the local Mickey D's next to the movie theater probably up to no good ;-).

And this is exactly what I'm hoping to achieve too! Can't beat the time spent and memories with cp along with no free time for trouble :)

This weekend is my first non-cheer weekend in months...just got back from BATC, going to Myrtle to compete again in 2 weeks...thought i would finally have some free time to lay around watching grass grow and missing cheer but it turns out my schedule is jam-packed with catching up on everything/everyone i've been throwing on the backburner BECAUSE of practices and competitions..and i STILL don't have enough time to get everything done before it's time to pack for competition again!

It's been pretty hectic at our house too. Throwing our bag on our backs to go to a compeition, or putting on make-up. But now that the season is starting to settle down but then pick back up again soon, we just go shopping, watch tv, watch our daughter tumble on trampoline, make food, or stalk some team! It's nice to finally be able to sit down on the couch knowing that I'm not waiting to go pick up my daughter from practice, or ask how many times they went full out, or any of that stuff!

Last weekend was my first free weekend after five straight weekends of competing! (Rhode Island, a high school, Delaware, Dallas, then Trenton!) So this weekend I did nothing and I loved it! Haha but you're absolutely right, when there's no cheer or anything I'm pretty much lost! But I have another competition coming up this weekend so no worries :O

I know I'm not a parent, but this nothing-but-cheer-oriented lifestyle seems almost unhealthy. Kids should know a life beyond the gym. That doesn't mean they need to be out partying or getting into trouble, but they should know of SOMETHING else to do besides be in the gym. I'm sure it's not quite so severe, but a lot of these posts are reading like people have nothing to do but cheer....

Again, I have no clue how to raise a kid, but I think it's important that kids be involved in social activities, volunteer activities, SOMETHING beyond the big blue mat. I understand cheer is HUGE to a lot of families, but I don't think it should be the only thing kids are involved in.

Back