High School The Count Down To State.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 11, 2014
Our state competition count down enters the 30's (days) tomorrow...My stomach literally turns every time I think about it, not saying that we aren't prepared (we are!) it just makes me all giddy, do any other coaches get this way this far out (it's not that far!) :) Also aside from CLEAN, CLEAN, AND MORE CLEANING of the routine what do you do to get your team into the competition mind set? Do you have any pre competition traditions?

WHEN IS YOUR STATE COMPETITION?

Our state competition count down enters the 30's (days) tomorrow...My stomach literally turns every time I think about it, not saying that we aren't prepared (we are!) it just makes me all giddy, do any other coaches get this way this far out (it's not that far!) :) Also aside from CLEAN, CLEAN, AND MORE CLEANING of the routine what do you do to get your team into the competition mind set? Do you have any pre competition traditions?

WHEN IS YOUR STATE COMPETITION?
End of February or first week in March? This is the first time NYS will have states so not really sure how it will work or who qualifies and how, especially since it's being held a few weeks after UCA Nationals.

End of February or first week in March? This is the first time NYS will have states so not really sure how it will work or who qualifies and how, especially since it's being held a few weeks after UCA Nationals.

For our state competition anyone can go, probably because we wouldn't have enough schools if they held regionals there's usually between 16-20 school in a division here.

Omg July? So they literally get like no break before they just have to hop right back into it.

It has been a few years since I've been through the process but @cheernerd5678 might have more accurate information!

For us, it really was a year round season. We had tryouts starting in the middle of April, teams decided at the middle/end of May. Morning practices starting in the beginning of June, camp at the end of June, regionals in July, football started in August, state in October, basketball starting in November/December, and cheering at those games until March. And now my high school also goes to UCA regionals in December and nationals sometime during the winter. It was crazy back when I was in school, I can't imagine what it's like now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are done w/basketball around mid February unless the team makes it to districts, or state then it would be the first week in march. We have tryouts literally the weekend right after the last game that way I can just get the teams and all info out. After that I give them a break until late May and then that's when the competition begins practices again. At least they have those couple of months of I suppose (and so do I ;) )

In Illinois we have state the first weekend in February (Friday and Saturday). In order for our teams to go to state we have to place top 5 at our sectionals the weekend before (per division). There are 5 sectionals so there is a total of 25 teams per division at state. Then the top 10 teams move on to day two (Saturday) of state.

In MA we usually have our league competition the first week of November, from there you qualify (score a 73 - single panel judge) for regionals which is the 3rd Sunday of November, from there you qualify (score a 145 of higher - double panel judge) for States which is the 4th Sunday of November. At States you can receive a Nationals bid.

*Also at regionals if you don't originally qualify for states, they also hand out "at-large" bids to teams the mon/tues after in the case that divisions need more teams. At-Large bids go by the next highest score.
* The 73 & 145 come out to scoring 66% of the total score.

We start our season at the very end of August, have September/October to work & clean; start competing at invitationals throughout October, then league, regional, states in November.

I wish we had more invitationals here in Iowa to compete at..Basically we have maybe 5 competitions that high school can compete at in the state. Other wise I know MN and IL have a few that IA teams go to.

I wish the high school cheer season in NY wasn't so long! Would much before the competitions to be finished by early December and not interfere as much as they do with all-stars.

On the schedule my coach gave us, there are 2 sectionals, one for fall and the other for winter, and the states is march 5th for us. I wonder how the ranking system is going to work to have the teams go. Maybe something like BHSVCGirl mentioned.

Back