OT The Dance Moms Thread!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you on team Abby or team Kelly

• Total voters
Didn't see anyone talk about this yet so I'm just gonna put this here...

Saw this link all yesterday and avoided watching it

Finally gave in and clicked it this morning....I had to turn it off

No thanks. A 10/11 yr old frolicking in a nude leotard? No. I understand that it's for the "art" "the music "" the message" and the etc..but still. No. Reminded me of the meet outfits where Abby wanted them to look naked. Exploitation. And to me the dancing just highlighted how overhyped Maddie's dancing is. I felt underwhelmed.....like a random child from YouTube would have done the same over better

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Last edited:
This is the first time I've ever seen her make any face other than her annoying signature face.

Her dancing was great, but the leotard - what were her parent's thinking allowing that? She is WAY too young.

I didn't have a problem with the leotard being nude, but did not like the butt ruching. I found that a little provocative, but it was meant to be.

it's kinda sad that an 11year old dancing in a beige leotard is considered exploitative and sexual. as a kid i wore leotards to dance, and they were also a nude color. maybe it's different because i'm black and there's more of a contrast but it was never viewed to be sexual. :/ i also loved the video. unpopular opinion i guess.

it's clear that she was meant to look naked or they would have put her in something else. though i kind of agree that if she were wearing anything else it would distract from the dance.. so idk. though when she was in front of the window she actually looked naked and at times you can clearly see her, uh, nipples and butt crack. they're covered, yes, but nothing is left to the imagination either.

i feel like i bring up safety and pedophiles way too often on the boards, but thats all i could think about... how many men were watching this seemingly little girl prance around naked? and then i got skeeved out by it. i realize you can't live your life in fear of a creeper and this is a phenomenal opportunity for her... idk a leotard at dance class is no big deal. a music video shown on tv and is on demand on the internet.. ehhh

the artistry was very well done and she did a great job. i just don't feel right about watching it..

I think she did a great job! To see a 10/11 yr old completely Carry a video alone is no small feat. And she moved back and forth between classic and other more contemporary moves very smoothly. And I'm not a fan of dance moms at all.

I will say this, she has on a leotard. I didn't see any nipples or but crack. I get what you're saying up above, but again is it her place as a young girl to change her clothing because some old guy is a creeper, or is it the old creepers responsibility not to be an evil d-bag? Let's put the responsibility where it belongs.

I think she did a great job! To see a 10/11 yr old completely Carry a video alone is no small feat. And she moved back and forth between classic and other more contemporary moves very smoothly. And I'm not a fan of dance moms at all.

I will say this, she has on a leotard. I didn't see any nipples or but crack. I get what you're saying up above, but again is it her place as a young girl to change her clothing because some old guy is a creeper, or is it the old creepers responsibility not to be an evil d-bag? Let's put the responsibility where it belongs.

I actually never felt I was watching "Maddie from Dance Moms" dance, which is a good thing.

The flesh colored leotard combined with the lighting (dancing with the sunlight behind her and then in the shadows) was purposely used to insinuate nudity. Why you would want your young preteen to be in that role I cannot comprehend. Google Brooke Shields and Pretty Baby, because that is what came to mind (I was a little kid when that came out but old enough to remember the huge controversy over it).

In response to your question, though, I think it is the responsibility of the parent to make sure that her child is not exploited and placed in a compromising position for the sake of an artistic vision (or a job), as well as the responsibility of her agent and even perhaps her dance teacher.

Let's face it, Maddie already was exploited far before this music video came out (I mean she's a star on a Lifetime show:confused:). Sia apparently personally requested for Maddie to be the dancer in the video. As far as this music video goes, you either can get past the leotard or can't.

Personally, I think it's a haunting yet beautiful piece of work. Is it disturbing? Yes. Is it supposed to be? Of course. Depending on how you look at it, the music video can be interpreted in multiple instances as symbolism of Sia's own life struggles (childhood stripped bare via parents with substance issues, father walking out on her when 10 yrs old (sense of abandonment), history of drug/alcohol/mental heath issues).

I find it interesting to think about from an art perspective:
-The portrait of Sia in black & white (center frame) in the first choreo room sequence & obviously the blonde bob wig (looks just like Sia's hair)
-The bare, rundown apartment (dishes piled high in sink, walls deteriorated, gives feeling of abandon)
-The AA help book quote on the wall
-The robotic movements of a person on auto-pilot just trying to live day by day
-The facial expressions given at certain points/the repetitiveness of certain movements give off a feeling of mental struggles/OCD/being driven crazy
-The choreo of waving goodbye to the world & the curtain choking her but breaking free (sia almost offed herself at one point due mental health issues but didn't end up going through with it thanks to a friend calling at the right time)
-Yes, the nude leo (a childhood stripped bare OR literally having nothing left in life aside from drinking the pain away)

Would I put a future child of mine in this video necessarily? No, but it is thought provoking none the less.

So goes art.

Last edited:
Let's face it, Maddie already was exploited far before this music video came out (I mean she's a star on a Lifetime show:confused:). Sia apparently personally requested for Maddie to be the dancer in the video. As far as this music video goes, you either can get past the leotard or can't.

Personally, I think it's a haunting yet beautiful piece of work. Is it disturbing? Yes. Is it supposed to be? Of course. Depending on how you look at it, the music video can be interpreted in multiple instances as symbolism of Sia's own life struggles (childhood stripped bare via parents with substance issues, father walking out on her when 10 yrs old (sense of abandonment), history of drug/alcohol/mental heath issues).

I find it interesting to think about from an art perspective:
-The portrait of Sia in black & white (center frame) in the first choreo room sequence & obviously the blonde bob wig (looks just like Sia's hair)
-The bare, rundown apartment (dishes piled high in sink, walls deteriorated, gives feeling of abandon)
-The AA help book quote on the wall
-The robotic movements of a person on auto-pilot just trying to live day by day
-The facial expressions given at certain points/the repetitiveness of certain movements give off a feeling of mental struggles/OCD/being driven crazy
-The choreo of waving goodbye to the world & the curtain choking her but breaking free (sia almost offed herself at one point due mental health issues but didn't end up going through with it thanks to a friend calling at the right time)
-Yes, the nude leo (a childhood stripped bare OR literally having nothing left in life aside from drinking the pain away)

Would I put a future child of mine in this video necessarily? No, but it is thought provoking none the less.

So goes art.

I couldn't have said this better myself. I guess as an art student, it didn't bother me as much because I'm used to seeing nudity in art, and yes, children are portrayed nude in art as well. The nude leotard was picked out for a specific reason, to symbolize something. Maybe if the leotard was less see through but still nude it would've been better? But I don't think any other color would've been as strong as the nude color for the video. I still cannot get over how beautiful this video was. Maddie's dancing and emotion was so good.

I thought she was referring to the Ladybird Cheerleaders of University of Louisville, but that wouldn;t make sense agewise.

Last edited:
Back