All-Star The Evolution Of Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Everyone who has posted has great ideas, and I can see how everything suggested could make this sport better. I'd also like to see the emphasis on proper training and safety. I hate the "throw and go" style where janky tumbling counts as officially having the skill. Sure, the pressure is there to move up and excel, but in no way should moving up be emphasized over being able to correctly and safely throw the skill. Also, and in conjunction with my last statement, I'd like to see an emphasis on clean routines. So many times, watching a routine is too much like trying to watch a three ring circus and less like watching a team mesh together as a unit to pull off an awesome visual effect. Another thing I'd like to see is some kind of athlete credentialing and more rules put in place to prevent sandbagging. I know this is a hot issue, and I'm in no way trying to start drama here by bringing it up, but this is like the "elephant in the living room". I also realize that this is not the only sport that has had to deal with this issue. Perhaps we can learn a little from how other sports have dealt with it...who knows? This is a tough challenge, to say the least. I am happy with the direction cheerleading is taking in trying to be taken more seriously as a sport. I'm curious to see how STUNT will take off, even though I do love the performance aspect of allstar. I do have to say that I am thrilled to have a CP involved, and also that I'm infinitely blessed to be able to provide this for her financially and time wise, even though it is a challenge. I feel that it is very worth the sacrifice to make it happen for her. I'm excited to see what happens in the future!

I think one of the biggest changes was definitely the spring floor. My first season was in 03 which was the first year they allowed spring floors but a lot of competitions still didnt have them then.

I obviously want cheerleading to be considered a sport by EVERYONE in the future, but in todays society since so little people believe its a sport, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

From an Australian perspective:

- I want to see us get better and better every year (which we are) and become more on par, and real competitors for, the Americans. I remember even just a few years ago, you could win Nationals here in Level 4 (we only really have one big Nationals so this is a big thing) with 360s (no actual full ups, not even to prep) and a switch-up to the top, being super hard. We've come so far and all our levels are really looking better, and are a lot more competitive.

- Following on from that, appropriate levelling. It's still a bit of a problem here IMO.. you have one kid or one stunt group who can do a certain higher level skill and immediately that means the whole team can go up a level. I just see it too often. My philosophy as a coach/program director is that I want us to be maxing out in that level before we consider going up.

- I want to see teams have tumblers that are trained through cheer/cheer coaches. Pretty much all our tumblers, esp. at a high level (bar a very small proportion) are ex-gymnasts.

- General increase in numbers and male participants :) We're already taking huge steps in this direction.

- More cheer gyms built. Although we have a growing number of programs, at least in NSW, I can think of only 3 or so programs that have their own "cheer gym" they train in. Better facilities in general would be awesome for Aus and would only aid our progression.

- More mentoring and help from the US. We can learn so much from you guys. We've started this process but it could definitely be more widespread, we've had athletes go over and spend seasons on some of the top gyms teams (Cali, CA etc.), had our first Aussie gold medallists (two girls on Ladykatz), more coaches developing relationships with US coaches/influential people in the cheer world and spending time in the States to learn - bringing back all that knowledge helps us grow a lot! :)

I want more diversity in the top teams at worlds. I understand why the same gyms produce winning teams year after year but at the same time I don't think this is going to help the growth of cheerleading.

Here in the cheer world we love it because we know the rivalries and the competition and all the previous drama (who fell at worlds last year, who won last year, etc.). But as we try to bring new talent into the sport, and to teams trying to break into the worlds scene, I think that this trend could hinder the growth of certain divisions. It also could cause these major concentrations of talented athletes because as girls and boys get serious about going to worlds and winning, they very well may move to where the winning teams are. Then we have the problem of very localized areas with tons of gyms and other areas with very few gyms.

this times a million, i wanted to cheer this year so badly during my first year of uni because i was and still am eligible to super senior the only problem is cheerleading tuition per month PLUS university tuition and housing expenses is no way at all fee sable theres always open gyms and teams but in toronto (dont know about other places) they are almost as expensive as senior teams

THIS IS MY PROBLEM!
I want to super senior and go to worlds for the first time but I cant afford it.
It sucks having the skill and drive, but not being able to make ends meet to do it:(((

Omg! I almost did a school project on this!! But instead after I already started my friends joined me and didn't like the topic :(

I'd like to see us take a small step back. All these new skills are good, but not when done without proper technique. I miss when cheer was more about technique than wow. Teams who had amazing technique and a phenomenal routine would be in first, and over the past few years, some programs seem to be all difficulty and no technique. In my opinion, a difficult routine is nothing without good technique. We need to focus more on the proper execution of skills before we begin to put them in a routine. Now don't get me wrong, I love to see a team with an amazing routine, but it would be even better with the wow factors done cleanly. I'm rambling, I hope this makes sense lol!

I've been in the sport since 2002. there's already been so many changes...I honestly have no clue what they could do next!

I do agree with everyone on the side of thinking that technique REALLY needs to be the number one priority. I feel like improper technique is the reason people are getting hurt. They are being pushed beyond their abilities.
and also the certification of coaches. I also feel like this has a HUGE impact on the technique. If a coach doesn't know how to spot someone, or how to tell them to improve something, they're going to keep doing it the exact wrong way!

Back