All-Star The Stigma Of Conditioning

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We always do conditioning in the beginning and end of every practice. I try to incorporate conditioning in pretty much everything - warm-ups, jumps, stunts, tumbling and so on. But I still feel like we don't do it enough.

I use it as punishment sometimes, but less and less because they learn not the things that causes them extra conditioning haha.. One thing we've had a lot of issues with is kids running around, doing cartwheels etc during water breaks and accidentally hit each other. If someone do it now the whole team get 10 extra pushups.

Conditioning is a bad word in my house Princess Hotmess hates hates hates conditioning. She is getting better though no tears any more it used to be she would cry and cry whenever the word conditioning was even said. Hopefully there will come a day where conditioning does not seem that bad to her.

We do conditioning at the start of each practice. I disguise it as "warm-up". Easiest way to fool a set of adults into v-snaps, jump squats and push ups. They've been given a routine to do at home, and since it only lasts about 20 minutes, they all actually have been doing it around 3 times a week outside of practice! There's a notable difference in their skills because of it.

I don't ever use it as a punishment. My co-coaches and I prefer the method of talking them through problems that come up. It works well for us.

Our conditioning is also disguised as the warm up. :D

For the junior team: they do get conditioning as punishment but only when they are not focused and goofing off during stunts. Their coach then tells them that stunting is too dangerous if they are being that unconcentrated and that conditioning is obviously the more adequate option for the remainder of the practice. It is really starting to pay off now.

I use conditioning as a punishment but I only use burpees as the punishment. I don't want the team conditioning to be seen as a punishment.

Conditioning shouldn't have such a negative connotation because it's honestly very effective. Last year, I was dying when running full-outs. We ran the routine full out for the first time a couple days ago, and my routine calls for more difficult skills and endurance this year. I'm glad to say that I wasn't even that tired running the routine full-force, and I credit that to conditioning. Conditioning, as much as we hate it, ultimately helps us become better cheerleaders.

Our kids get conditioned during each practice but will receive extra conditioning as punishment for talking too much, dropping flyers/stunts, etc. Conditioning should be part of their practice time, each time they are at the gym. It should never be done solely as punishment. How else are they going to work up to that endurance they will need during full outs?!

Usually at our gym during the summer our coach will have us do plyometrics (box jumps, jumps with rubberbands, jumps with bungee cords tied to your waist, sandbag lifts etc.) before practice to strengthen our muscles and cardio for routines in a couple of months

As for punishing my coaches dont really believe in punishing flyers for bending their leg or something because if the flyer is sick of falling she will make the change rather than doing iron mikes and keep bending

During competition season we condition for about 30 mins at the end of practices which is mainly cardio sometimes abs. But i like it because our coaches come up with different ideas for conditioning. Sometimes in the summer we will run to the park down the street and workout there doing pullups and stuff. Its just nice to do something other than suicides, pushups and situps. And its amazing when the routine gets even a little bit easier because of cardio

7yr old to me today: what's conditioning? Do I like that?
Me: it's what we always do at the end of class to be stronger cheerleaders so we can do cool skills.
Her: oh yeah I don't like that can I just stay at level 1 cos libs are scary anyway *does multiple connected forward rolls* I think I just vomited a bit in my mouth.

And that is what my kids think of conditioning!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I condition my athletes like crazy, both for "negative connotations" and for getting stronger. My Worlds kids last year asked to condition MORE because they liked the positive effects of it on their bodies and their skill sets.

I condition my athletes like crazy, both for "negative connotations" and for getting stronger. My Worlds kids last year asked to condition MORE because they liked the positive effects of it on their bodies and their skill sets.

Lol I was about to tag you, but I see you found your way here.

#ConditioningMaster

I include conditioning in every class. Usually a little bit at the start if class and then a proper session at the end.
Coming from a gymnastics background it was drilled into us at every coaching course that it was counter productive to use conditioning as a punishment as it developed negative connotations with something that was a necessity.
That being said if someone keeps getting something wrong and is holding the group back I have been known to give them conditioning or technique conditioning to work on while we finish up that skill as they don't have the required strength or form to perform the skill correctly. Sometimes they do have the correct form but are having a lazy day and not trying.
My elite power tumblers are all 9-15 years and when they start getting ridiculous and hyper I find some pit runs calms them down and when they ask we do point out that it's good conditioning for them as well :)

Back