All-Star The Wire Article On Cheerlebrities

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I feel like being Polly Positive today: We need to post, spread and read more article like this one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/theater/megan-abbott-on-cheerleaders-in-pop-culture.html

Although she mentions high school cheer, she could be talking about any type of cheer. She's talking about my CP's first black eye or determination to fight for a stunt! We need to support more articles like this in reputable publications like the New York Times!
Interesting because I read the authors book, Dare Me, which was pretty good.
There were some parts she got wrong, like high school cheerleaders doing a 2-2-1, but some parts she got exactly right. There's one part where the main character is working on her back tuck and she describes it as "the feeling is breath taking and I know I can do anything. I feel like I could rotate myself forever and land every time, arms upraised, chest high, body both shattered then restored. Immaculate"
Idk, I could really connect with that part because when I do tucks I feel great, unstoppable. They're my favorite thing to do lol. So anyways yay for Meg Abbott!

Eta: didn't memorize that quote lol. I just have a picture of it on my phone because I liked it.

The number of inaccuracies in that new article is absurd and the fact this writer is using the private lives of teenagers to get more page views is disgusting. I've got to stop clicking these links and giving them what they want.

The Fierce Board App!

These are minors and I don't think what she is doing is right at all.... If rumors of my relationships (true or untrue) were posted for the world to see when I was sixteen, I would be heartbroken and embarrassed. I think the "treat people how you want to be treated" rule needs to be enforced a lot more... The world would be a better place.

And on the more "cheer related" side...WHY do people pry into the lives of "cheerlebrites"? Yes, it's fine to acknowledge an athlete for their skills, but by no means should you care about who they date and what they do off of the mat. It's just weird. I can't think of another way to explain it.

Did some light googling, the author was a KKG at William and Mary. @cheerKT or any other Kappas on the board, can you try to talk some sense into this girl? I know there will be thousands of people hounding her tonight, but if it's coming from a sister maybe it will be more well-received? The lack of fact-checking for someone that appears to be in her first big girl job is really disturbing me

The Fierce Board App!

These are minors and I don't think what she is doing is right at all.... If rumors of my relationships (true or untrue) were posted for the world to see when I was sixteen, I would be heartbroken and embarrassed. I think the "treat people how you want to be treated" rule needs to be enforced a lot more... The world would be a better place.

And on the more "cheer related" side...WHY do people pry into the lives of "cheerlebrites"? Yes, it's fine to acknowledge an athlete for their skills, but by no means should you care about who they date and what they do off of the mat. It's just weird. I can't think of another way to explain it.
The amount that people know about them is scary. Like yeah okay they have skills, admire them for that, but why stuff like "I want a relationship like yours"? They know nothing about their relationships other than the pictures they post, which is why people are SO SURPRISED when they break up. Most relationships look super strong on Instagram, because nobody posts if they're in a fight with their bf.
not to mention people are now slut-shaming cheerlebrities because "omg they've only been dating for X weeks and he bought her this Christmas present". Like you don't know how long they've been together, you only know when the first picture of them was posted. Not to mention, it doesn't affect you so if you don't like it keep scrolling or unfollow?
People are annoying.

Back