All-Star The Wire Article On Cheerlebrities

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think it's always glossed over. Many people (including me) have brought up this point only to be cowed, catted, accused of being jealous, etc. Whether it's a pedo, psycho, over zealous fan or fan fiction story - I wish those in charge would stop this nonsense before something more serious and irreversible than one authors point of view in an obscure publication occurs.
Let the barrage of defenders begin telling me how wrong I am. I can take it.

I've brought it up a few times (mostly in the social media threads) and most people probably think I'm crazy or paranoid for posting. Unfortunately, nothing will change until a catastrophe happens. (And everyone hopes the catastrophe will be someone else's kid) Do you know how easy it would be for a random pedophile or psycho-fan to walk into a competition and hurt someone? Or even take someone, honestly. I also recently said this about the cheer baby in the 3yr old thread, but I'll say it again - I don't know these kids personally, or live anywhere remotely close to them. All it took was a few seconds on any of their social media accounts to find out where they cheered, what town they live in and where they go to high school. That picture of your brand new pretty BMW? I just got your license plate and can find your house. You just turned 16/17 and got your license? Obviously you have to post a picture of it, with your last name, birthday, and address clearly visible. Add in the geo tracking on twitter that literally has a map that pinpoints your exact location and I'm honestly surprised we've gone this long without tragedy. Especially with millions of random people watching. Last weekend (big comp weekend) I could have gone on Instagram at any hour, and refreshed the popular page once or twice and there was a cheerleader on it. Never failed. But I know the cheer world and who these kids are. That random guy who saw your picture and is now fantasizing about you doesn't, nor does he care.

I'm not suggesting that anyone live their lives in fear, but take precautionary steps. Lock down your social media. Is having the whole world see everything your doing in life worth your safety? I don't get it. And maybe that's because social media was just becoming a thing when I was leaving my teen years (like needing a college email address to get an account on Facebook - those were the days) so I missed the memo that you can't do anything without letting the whole world know, but I don't get it. Never will. And I hope it all dies before I ever have kids.

And maybe I watch too much law and order SVU...

I've brought it up a few times (mostly in the social media threads) and most people probably think I'm crazy or paranoid for posting. Unfortunately, nothing will change until a catastrophe happens. (And everyone hopes the catastrophe will be someone else's kid) Do you know how easy it would be for a random pedophile or psycho-fan to walk into a competition and hurt someone? Or even take someone, honestly. I also recently said this about the cheer baby in the 3yr old thread, but I'll say it again - I don't know these kids personally, or live anywhere remotely close to them. All it took was a few seconds on any of their social media accounts to find out where they cheered, what town they live in and where they go to high school. That picture of your brand new pretty BMW? I just got your license plate and can find your house. You just turned 16/17 and got your license? Obviously you have to post a picture of it, with your last name, birthday, and address clearly visible. Add in the geo tracking on twitter that literally has a map that pinpoints your exact location and I'm honestly surprised we've gone this long without tragedy. Especially with millions of random people watching. Last weekend (big comp weekend) I could have gone on Instagram at any hour, and refreshed the popular page once or twice and there was a cheerleader on it. Never failed. But I know the cheer world and who these kids are. That random guy who saw your picture and is now fantasizing about you doesn't, nor does he care.

I'm not suggesting that anyone live their lives in fear, but take precautionary steps. Lock down your social media. Is having the whole world see everything your doing in life worth your safety? I don't get it. And maybe that's because social media was just becoming a thing when I was leaving my teen years (like needing a college email address to get an account on Facebook - those were the days) so I missed the memo that you can't do anything without letting the whole world know, but I don't get it. Never will. And I hope it all dies before I ever have kids.

:shimmy: I can't applaud this enough.

Ok, but that's the point. You get cowed, catted, etc. Why are so many just letting it go?

Just this last weekend in San Jose we had one of our girls see an old man with a video camera video'ing the team while stretching and warming up before we went into warm ups. He had it down at his side. There was this out of the way part of the convention center where all the teams were doing this before heading into the warm up room. Our coach chased him away but then he was seen again inside during awards. Someone alerted security and since he wasn't technically doing anything illegal, security just stayed super close enough to him that he finally left.

I didn't see any of this personally but it's a really good thing I didn't. It just reminded me that as a parent, I need to be more alert when the girls are around. Because lord help the pervert that I find (and I know many of you too!). And while the gym has a policy that when you're not in warm ups or performing, you need to keep your pants and jacket on, not everyone abides by this and it needs to be enforced more by all the gyms.

And girls, please take note, most of the perverts you do NOT see at these events. They are very careful to hide and you need to protect yourselves! Please!

Do any coaches on here have talks with their athletes about the importance of being modest when we aren't warming up/competing or ways to be safe because there are alot of people you dont' know at comps? I coach a youth team and wouldn't blatently come out saying, wear shirts and pants becuase pervs might be watching you, but how to approach the subject? Or is that more a conversation that needs to happen with the parents or save for the parents to have with their kids?

I didn't really see anything bad about either article. I think the cool thing about social media or really just the connectivity of the Internet is that if there was indeed a misunderstanding/misrepresentation, than those two involved can (and did) clear the air.

I don't understand people's reasoning for all their white knighting nor the uproar over the cheerlebrity topic that the cheer community itself can't even agree on.

Are we upset about what the article says, or we upset that an outsider wrote it? Are the things she's said in that article all that different from things we've discussed in here?

We argue about how cheerleader is about so much more than just looks, but then we have threads that are 100 pages long discussing who has the prettiest uniforms or how fierce someone's abs are.

Do any coaches on here have talks with their athletes about the importance of being modest when we aren't warming up/competing or ways to be safe because there are alot of people you dont' know at comps? I coach a youth team and wouldn't blatently come out saying, wear shirts and pants becuase pervs might be watching you, but how to approach the subject? Or is that more a conversation that needs to happen with the parents or save for the parents to have with their kids?
I coach a Youth team too....I never even thought about it, especially because my kids wear shorts and a long sleeved full top with no crazy cutouts or mesh. But pervs are pervs so I guess I should think about it :(

I coach a Youth team too....I never even thought about it, especially because my kids wear shorts and a long sleeved full top with no crazy cutouts or mesh. But pervs are pervs so I guess I should think about it :(

We wear the same - shorts with full tops. I've never encountered situations that make me question their safety but just thinking outloud...

These same thoughts go through my mind every weekend at events and also looking at social media. It hits me most as I notice groups of young athletes run around an arena unaccompanied. Or the lone child head to the restroom without a parent in tow. It takes only seconds for tragedy to strike and I pray it never does.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Or is that more a conversation that needs to happen with the parents or save for the parents to have with their kids?

Here's my take on this - A new cheer parent may not even think of this on Susie's first comp day. Therefore, coach's responsibility.
However, coaches are not able to babysit/police their teams at all times. Further, no gym owner wants to say "Come join our sport! Oh, and cover yourself because pervs can walk into any comp at any time." Therefore, parents' responsibility.
EPs have done what they can - hence the "comp cover-up" rule. Leaving it coaches and parents' responsibility.
Basically, it's athlete's responsibility. And coach/parent responsibility to educate them.

The USASF has enacted cover up rules and full tops, unfortunately, parents and gym owners are some of the worst critics. Let's face it, mesh midriffs are nothing but a middle finger up to the rule makers. Parents and gyms are, also, some of the biggest supporters of "Cheerlebrity" and then claim "they had nothing to do with it", but yet, their kids are on magazines, at signings, on YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, being interviewed and endorsing products. "Yes", a child can put themselves out there on Social Media, however, parents can, also, shut it down and gym owners can keep their gym name from being worn/used or have consequences. On the flip side, are parents oblivious to the fact their kids are writing about these "Cheerlebrities" or are they, like many adults, feeling since these kids are "Cheerlebrities", their kids have the right to do and say whatever they want about them? The parents are the worst offenders in these scenerio's, and they are the same ones crying, "my kid didn't do anything, it just happened, I have no control". Well, as grandma used to say, "Flush it or leave it for the world to see, it's your choice. But, don't come cryin' to me when your throne over flows."

Last edited:
The USASF has enacted cover up rules and full tops, unfortunately, parents and gym owners are some of the worst critics. Let's face it, mesh midriffs are nothing but a middle finger up to the rule makers. Parents and gyms are, also, some of the biggest supporters of "Cheerlebrity" and then claim "they had nothing to do with it", but yet, their kids are on magazines, at signings, on YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, being interviewed and endorsing products. "Yes", a child can put themselves out there on Social Media, however, parents can, also, shut it down and gym owners can keep their gym name from being worn/used or have consequences. On the flip side, are parents oblivious to the fact their kids are writing about these "Cheerlebrities" or are they, like many adults, feeling since these kids are "Cheerlebrities", their kids have the right to do and say whatever they want about them? The parents are the worst offenders in these scenerio's, and they are the same ones crying, "my kid didn't do anything, it just happened, I have no control". Well, as grandma used to say, "Flush it or leave it for the world to see, it's your choice. But, don't come cryin' to me when the thrown over flows."

I agree with this to a point.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think "cheerlebrity" is a bad thing, and further I think it can be a really positive thing for the sport. I think it's fine for these kids to be on social media and it's fine for them to have huge followings from fans who look up to them. It's fine for kids to promote products and be in magazines and articles because it can bring positive publicity to the sport and also create huge opportunities for these kids in the future--IF it is done responsibly and parents are smart about what they are allowing their kids to put out there.

I am shocked all the time by how little some of these well-known athletes' online profiles seem to be monitored by adults. Like everyone said above, when you post something on the internet you invite potential criticism from those outside of the cheer world and also (and very unfortunately) the prying eyes of potential predators. Same goes for modeling a revealing uniform or not requiring final and complete approval before any pictures or direct quotes are published.

Quite frankly, it's getting out of control. I know Maddie Gardner has been out of this sport for a few years now, but she always struck me as the perfect example of how to use cheerlebrity wisely. She promoted products, had a huge social media presence, and was inundated with attention from all angles about every little thing she did. But everything that she put out there was appropriate and positive, and the products she promoted and appearances she made seemed to be well chosen and in line with creating opportunities for the future (doesn't she study journalism now?).

Further, even as a college student, she remains well known in the all-star cheer world and still maintains the same appropriate public appearance that she always has. Is that to say that she never acted like a normal teenager and now doesn't act like a normal college student? I'm sure the answer is no. But she takes responsibility for her well-known status in this industry and acts accordingly when using social media and appearing in public. Remembering many of @StarshipTrooper 's posts about this subject in the past, I'm sure much of this is due to her parents being vigilant about what was being put out to the public when she was younger and making sure she knew the importance of it, too.

Unfortunately it seems like there are way too many athletes in the same situation who are being allowed to share whatever they please with whomever they please, with no regard to the risk it invites. It's this irresponsibility that creates the problem, not the attention itself.

For the record, I think Gabi seems like a wonderful kid and am not insinuating in any way that she falls into this category. The writer of this article obviously had a specific agenda in mind and used Gabi's words to accomplish it without thought to how it may affect her personally. But I hope this is a lesson to lots of other kids/parents in the same position as the Butlers.

Last edited:
@callmecoach I definitely don't want people to think I'm being critical of Maddie, nor Gabi. Pandora's cheerleading box, however, is now open and parents and gym owners can control whether or not they are going to shut it. I've learned quickly Newton's Law of Motion applies to Social Media, too. So, if we want to reduce the negative force, we are going to have to reduce the positive force, as well.

Back