All-Star Thoughts On After Comp Bid Announcements

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 9, 2015
So we just came back from WSF yesterday and as soon as we are we back (and exhausted from the trip) Varsity has their bid announcements for Summit. I realize that Cheersport first did this last year. However, after driving 8ish hours and being exhausted from the weekend I was feeling quite grumpy about this late bid announcement. I would like to see if I was just being overly grumpy about the whole situation or if anyone else feels the same way.

At competitions the teams and parents get so excited to find out their placements and at WSF we continued that excitement when bids were announced AT the competition last year. Some of the best photos I took were when the teams found out that they received a bid. I feel like when you find out about your bid a day later that there isn't as much excitement and it almost comes across as an "oops, we forgot to give this out". Plus it's a lost opportunity to celebrate with your team because you're so tired from the competition/trip home.

Is this just me?

It isn't just you. I think it is terrible that they do this. EPs need to figure out a way to do Summit bid announcements AT the awards ceremony. I understand at large competitions there are multiple awards ceremonies for each division or level, but there has to be a way - even if it is the last awards ceremony of the day.

So we just came back from WSF yesterday and as soon as we are we back (and exhausted from the trip) Varsity has their bid announcements for Summit. I realize that Cheersport first did this last year. However, after driving 8ish hours and being exhausted from the weekend I was feeling quite grumpy about this late bid announcement. I would like to see if I was just being overly grumpy about the whole situation or if anyone else feels the same way.

At competitions the teams and parents get so excited to find out their placements and at WSF we continued that excitement when bids were announced AT the competition last year. Some of the best photos I took were when the teams found out that they received a bid. I feel like when you find out about your bid a day later that there isn't as much excitement and it almost comes across as an "oops, we forgot to give this out". Plus it's a lost opportunity to celebrate with your team because you're so tired from the competition/trip home.

Is this just me?
I totally agree with you. Winning the bid is the best part!

There is definitely a way to do this. Especially since the comps make the gyms fill out a sheet regarding which teams are going for a bid. it just takes more organization on the EP's part to do it. They did it last year. They most certainly can take the time to do it this year. Especially if they can do the World's bids.

I kind of (only slightly somewhat) liked it after the fact, but not enough to want more comps to move toward Monday bid reveals.

I liked:
- seeing all of the bid winners announced at once when I wasn't exhausted and anxious to leave the venue.
- that it extended the fun of the weekend for another day for the winners (my CP did not get a bid, but she was excited for her gymmates that did)

I did not like:
- that it takes away from the team to celebrate together at the comp (that's a huge one for me)
- that we have a lot of commuters at our gym and they could not/would not travel to a viewing party because they are back to practice, school or work by Monday so they watched it alone or with family only
- the "big reveal" took less than 4 minutes including dance, D2, & D1 bids - slow down and acknowledge the teams a little bit. It's a huge accomplishment and that should be celebrated somehow. I don't mean drag it out for 30 min, but maybe show a still pic or quick 5-10 sec snippet of their routine during the reveal

It seemed a little anticlimactic for having to wait a full day for the bid reveal.

I felt the same way last year when Cheersport first announced they were doing the bid reveal online. But then, the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. My cp is always one of the last divisions to compete. So I didn't really think it was fair to be giving bids before everyone had competed. Also, the people who said the teams want to have their moment on stage when it's announced, how many of the early teams are going to stick around for an 11 pm award session?

My cp's team did win at Cheersport last year and they did get one of the bids. I don't feel like her "moment" was taken away from her at all. It was an amazing weekend for her, and the bid reveal added another day to her excitement that she will always remember. And I will admit, this is selfish but it meant a lot to me as her mom that it was her and I jumping and hugging when they called her team [emoji4]

wouldn't you rather they get the bids right? the only other correct way to do it would be waiting until the end of the night so if you were in the first award session you'd still have to wait around and be grumpy...

I'd rather the correct teams who earned bids get them so I am very much in favor of this trend for large competitions.

I agree it was very anti-climatic. It was nice to see a list of all of the bid winners. I don't think they should take that part away. However, I feel like the big announcement should happen at the comp. And maybe a follow up announcement to the general public that lists all of the winners.

wouldn't you rather they get the bids right? the only other correct way to do it would be waiting until the end of the night so if you were in the first award session you'd still have to wait around and be grumpy...

I'd rather the correct teams who earned bids get them so I am very much in favor of this trend for large competitions.
Of course I would rather them get it right. And I may end up being in the minority with my thoughts. But that's why I'm asking. I just feel like it's a new thing and I personally don't like it.

I always laugh when I attend competitions and parents are so excited about their CP's team getting an AT-LARGE bid to the summit. I'm just sitting there ... thats another expensive trip you have to pay for! lol

EDIT -- not mocking the accomplishment .. it is a HUGE DEAL.. just saying its another comp to pay for after an already expensive season.

Last edited:

Yes I see (& appreciate) that reasoning. I know the coaches got their scores on Sun so they had time to appeal a deduction or score before the bids were announced. I think that's fair. If our gym had an incorrect score I would appreciate being able to have it fixed before bids were announced. Judges are human and can make mistakes no matter how hard they try. I wish it was possible to have perfect scoring and let the kids get their announcement on stage, but that's not realistic.

I always laugh when I attend competitions and parents are so excited about their CP's team getting an AT-LARGE bid to the summit. I'm just sitting there ... thats another expensive trip you have to pay for! lol

I applaud teams that earn a paid or at large bid especially at big comps like WSF. Since only 1 paid & 2 at large bids were awarded per level. Those 3 teams had to beat out a boat load of teams for those bids. That's not an easy accomplishment.

Compared to the cost of the weekend, a paid bid doesn't save you all that much - Varsity's sheet says it's worth $370-550 depending on where you stay. That is better than nothing, but it still works out to a very expensive trip.

Yes I see (& appreciate) that reasoning. I know the coaches got their scores on Sun so they had time to appeal a deduction or score before the bids were announced. I think that's fair. If our gym had an incorrect score I would appreciate being able to have it fixed before bids were announced. Judges are human and can make mistakes no matter how hard they try. I wish it was possible to have perfect scoring and let the kids get their announcement on stage, but that's not realistic.

I applaud teams that earn a paid or at large bid especially at big comps like WSF. Since only 1 paid & 2 at large bids were awarded per level. Those 3 teams had to beat out a boat load of teams for those bids. That's not an easy accomplishment.

Compared to the cost of the weekend, a paid bid doesn't save you all that much - Varsity's sheet says it's worth $370-550 depending on where you stay. That is better than nothing, but it still works out to a very expensive trip.

I'm not knocking the accomplishment. It is a big deal winning an AT-LARGE bid for the summit.

Back