All-Star Thoughts On Cheerlebrities

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok, so cheerlebrities disappear… what fills the void?

Little girls love big girls, always have and always will. They adore their baby sitters and their teachers and next door neighbours… and they also adore the high school aged cheerleaders. Take them away and what are they going to fan girl over?

As long as the cheerleb athletes are equal and respected members of their team in the gym, and their parents are ok with it all, ehhhhh I can't find the effort to really care all that much. Definitely not enough to rehash the same discussion month after month. You hate it? Then change it. Everyone has the ability to effect change. Don't talk about it, be about it ;)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Just a couple of thoughts i cant even tell you how many times I have read on here about someone who hates cheerlebs but yet seem to know all their instagram post and twitter posts ad nausem. why are you following them? Two, so some hate that they are hawking products, well i look at it as they have already got a jump on making money in the real world! whether its popularity or talent or a poof, they are being paid or bartered for what they are bringing to the table! More power to them! lastly i see a few posts that people dont even know them outside the cheer world, well then thats how they "put up with" their "celebrity" it doesnt follow them around! Oh and loved the post about the self proclaimed cheer stalker dissing the cheerlebs they stalk? ok?

Just a couple of thoughts i cant even tell you how many times I have read on here about someone who hates cheerlebs but yet seem to know all their instagram post and twitter posts ad nausem. why are you following them? Two, so some hate that they are hawking products, well i look at it as they have already got a jump on making money in the real world! whether its popularity or talent or a poof, they are being paid or bartered for what they are bringing to the table! More power to them! lastly i see a few posts that people dont even know them outside the cheer world, well then thats how they "put up with" their "celebrity" it doesnt follow them around! Oh and loved the post about the self proclaimed cheer stalker dissing the cheerlebs they stalk? ok?

<saying this with tongue in cheek> Which famous cheerleader is your daughter/son? ;)

Dang so if I post more pics of myself will I become a cheerlebrity? ;)

You already are one! You get top shimmys! I just thought it was odd seeing a Mom on here posting hope my cp never becomes a cheerlebrity. Unless you have crazy crazy talent or you put a ton of effort into social media it probably won't happen.

You already are one! You get top shimmys! I just thought it was odd seeing a Mom on here posting hope my cp never becomes a cheerlebrity. Unless you have crazy crazy talent or you put a ton of effort into social media it probably won't happen.

You have to understand my CP is much, much too young to even know what a cheerlebrity is, let alone be one without some serious help from mom...no thank you! However, watching what it's become/ing, I wonder what the cheer world will be like 5 years, 10 years from now when she'll be at an age where it seems to be more prevalent. I have no intentions of ever, and I mean ever, pushing her onto the social media landscape outside of my Avatar and my personal, privacy locked down, Facebook; I'm was more or less talking out loud and hoping that, one day down the road, she doesn't want to become one.

You have to understand my CP is much, much too young to even know what a cheerlebrity is, let alone be one without some serious help from mom...no thank you! However, watching what it's become/ing, I wonder what the cheer world will be like 5 years, 10 years from now when she'll be at an age where it seems to be more prevalent. I have no intentions of ever, and I mean ever, pushing her onto the social media landscape outside of my Avatar and my personal, privacy locked down, Facebook; I'm was more or less talking out loud and hoping that, one day down the road, she doesn't want to become one.

Thanks for the explanation. I took it as you were afraid your cp might become one. I was thinking unless you have a mini Kiara I wouldn't be too worried about it. LOL

My only other issue with this is with the "baby cheerlebrities." You know, the kids who are Y2 or Mini 1 and have social media accounts.

Chelsea Cheetah is a cheerlebrity and on some level, she chooses to partake in that by selling bows, promo, etc. via Instagram. She has made that choice on her own because she is 16/17 and controls/selects what is posted.

On the other hand, Molly Mini whose mother sets up social media accounts, posts pics, does giveaways, videos, etc. did not choose that. She is 4. This is all orchestrated by a parent.
THIS!!! Tbh I don't mind so much that people, athletes really, who've been in the sport for quite some time use their "cheerleb" status to promote things bc I personally know at least one whose parents utilize the money to pay for their CP's cheer expenses- and it's come in handy.

However, I've personally witnessed parents do this to their "mini" or even "tiny" aged kids. One parent in particular specifically said that she was in it for her kid to essentially be famous. She's not the least bit concerned with the whole team aspect of the sport. She (parent) used/uses the gym via social media to "pimp" her kid out. What's embarrassing is that she would chase several cheerlebs at the gym after events to get them to take a pic w/her kid and then walk around the gym and boast about how "so and so" asked HER kid to have their pic taken w/her CP.

Since I'm actually friends w/several of their parents, I know this to be true. I mean, I don't get why you'd even feel the need to lie about it- she has no problems publicly acknowledging her ambitions for her kid. :confused:

Sad thing is I bet many of you would know who she is solely bc of her mom's ambitions for her. What's even more sad is that I saw her attitude drastically change for the worse compared to her first two years (which is obv the result of the parent). :(

I posted this as I not a fan and prefer teams as it is a team sport mainly. I dont have instagram and I dont follow any cheer indviduals I follow a couple of teams but thats it

<saying this with tongue in cheek> Which famous cheerleader is your daughter/son? ;)

Well yes of course i would have to have a cheerleb in the family to defend them! (tongue in check of course!) mine would rather be celebri-skiers. I just dont understand the hate, other than one big reason. The sport is mostly teen age girls! And of course the few cheer moms that have forgotten they are NOT teen age girls. 99.9% of it is jealousy. Please prove me wrong. The only time i have ever seen a cheerleb take attention away from their team (and it didnt have to do with any performance) was a certain one in teal that gave a prolonged good bye her last time on the floor. Now we have a rule about that stuff!

My baby sister is about to be 9, and she's been cheering for a little over a year now. She adores it, and has progressed, frankly, faster than any other kid her age in the gym. (I'm a little afraid for this, because I know she'll be moving next year for my dad's job and her new gym will be bigger, and she won't be the "best" on her team there. It'll definitely be different, but hopefully good. Sorry, that's off subject.) Anyways, both her older sisters have instagrams, so she felt like she needed one too. I wholeheartedly believe she's too young, but her account's private and all she does is post selfies, pictures of her cat, and occasionally tumbling videos. She knows not to give any information to anyone unless she knows them in real life, and even then we make sure. Through Instagram she's discovered "cheerlebrities". Somehow she just understands, they're real people, and they're cheerleaders, and they were where she was at one time too. Her favorite "cheerleb" happens to be a flyer from Spirit of Texas (not the one everyone hears about all the time; a different one on her team). And she'll spend hours outside (in Louisiana during the summer, which is serious dedication to me) on the trampoline, doing everything from "standing layouts" (whipbacks) to jumps to tuck, to practicing kick doubles, to just trying to clean her roundoff. When I ask why, she'll say, "spirit barbie does it!" The other day at the gym during conditioning, she asked if she could do handstand push-ups against the wall instead of regular ones. When asked why she would ever want to do that, her answer was the same. I think her getting to see these athletes on their instagrams, in the gym or at home just working so hard, has been a great motivation for her, and probably a lot of other kids. Would she get a little "fangirly" if she met one? Maybe. I know some take it overboard, but (most) "cheerlebs" really do set a good example for young cheerleaders.

Ok, so cheerlebrities disappear… what fills the void?

Little girls love big girls, always have and always will. They adore their baby sitters and their teachers and next door neighbours… and they also adore the high school aged cheerleaders. Take them away and what are they going to fan girl over?

As long as the cheerleb athletes are equal and respected members of their team in the gym, and their parents are ok with it all, ehhhhh I can't find the effort to really care all that much. Definitely not enough to rehash the same discussion month after month. You hate it? Then change it. Everyone has the ability to effect change. Don't talk about it, be about it ;)

I agree with this with people looking up to the bigger girls I have an issue with the ones that promote and are not humble.
I wish I changed the title of the to which gym of team you admire as I was hoping people would look more at the teams

My baby sister is about to be 9, and she's been cheering for a little over a year now. She adores it, and has progressed, frankly, faster than any other kid her age in the gym. (I'm a little afraid for this, because I know she'll be moving next year for my dad's job and her new gym will be bigger, and she won't be the "best" on her team there. It'll definitely be different, but hopefully good. Sorry, that's off subject.) Anyways, both her older sisters have instagrams, so she felt like she needed one too. I wholeheartedly believe she's too young, but her account's private and all she does is post selfies, pictures of her cat, and occasionally tumbling videos. She knows not to give any information to anyone unless she knows them in real life, and even then we make sure. Through Instagram she's discovered "cheerlebrities". Somehow she just understands, they're real people, and they're cheerleaders, and they were where she was at one time too. Her favorite "cheerleb" happens to be a flyer from Spirit of Texas (not the one everyone hears about all the time; a different one on her team). And she'll spend hours outside (in Louisiana during the summer, which is serious dedication to me) on the trampoline, doing everything from "standing layouts" (whipbacks) to jumps to tuck, to practicing kick doubles, to just trying to clean her roundoff. When I ask why, she'll say, "spirit barbie does it!" The other day at the gym during conditioning, she asked if she could do handstand push-ups against the wall instead of regular ones. When asked why she would ever want to do that, her answer was the same. I think her getting to see these athletes on their instagrams, in the gym or at home just working so hard, has been a great motivation for her, and probably a lot of other kids. Would she get a little "fangirly" if she met one? Maybe. I know some take it overboard, but (most) "cheerlebs" really do set a good example for young cheerleaders.

Those are the ones I dont have a problem with and well done to your sister for being motivated like that!! Im not a fan of the hysterical fans but nothing wrong with having someone as your role model

Back