All-Star Thoughts On Traveling For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Gym hopper!

:p

Yeah - you know the type. It was tough. So many good friends. But I think we will see each other at competitions this year. My daughter was really close with a lot of the kids. She always used to come out on the mat holding hands with the nicest guy on her team. Will miss seeing that.

Yeah - you know the type. It was tough. So many good friends. But I think we will see each other at competitions this year. My daughter was really close with a lot of the kids. She always used to come out on the mat holding hands with the nicest guy on her team. Will miss seeing that.
Anything is possible, maybe that will happen again someday and if not hopefully they will get to see each other at a comp or two as you mentioned.:)

We're at a small gym in IL. We usually have 7 competitions, and two are travel. For the last few years, we've always done JamFest Indy and a smaller comp in Florida. This year we are doing JamFest Indy and Xtreme Spirit in Wisconsin Dells. Both require hotel stays and we always stay together as a team. My CP is on a Junior 2 team this year.

What Gym/Level are you/CP at: I have two kids doing this and both are on teams ranging from Youth2 to IOC5.
Where is your Gym Located:
Oklahoma
What/Where are the competitions you attend: We usually try and stay closer to home as things have been more expensive in recent times.
How many out of town competitions do you attend per season: Anywhere from 1-4 overnight stays per year depending on the teams you choose or are chosen to be on. Our coaches have always been very clear on what is required for the different squads.
Would you prefer local competitions, and then traveling for NCA/Worlds(if applicable): We like a little of both. It has been nice being closer to home the past two years however.
What is the Farthest you have traveled for a competition: Wisconsin is the furthest we have been. We got talked into attending a Worlds bid event there and was the worst experience we have had. Very poor event but enjoyed the trip. We are going to New Orleans this weekend as a gym which we haven't done in a few years. We discussed it at the beginning of the year at our parent meeting and everyone was up for it. There have been some that acted surprised about this trip and have complained a little but they are usually the ones that are never at any mandatory meetings.
Does your team stay and travel together or separately? We usually set up a room block but you are not required to use it but most of the time everyone does.

In Oklahoma you don't have a lot to compete against so you typically have to travel a little to have some competition. Traveling to Dallas takes 2.5 to 3 hours depending on traffic which is where we end more often than not when we do travel.

What Gym/Level are you/CP at: Level 2

Where is your Gym Located: Indiana

What/Where are the competitions you attend: Many are local but we also go to northern IN, KY, OH, alternate Orlando and Atlanta

How many out of town competitions do you attend per season:5, many are day trips, though, if you prefer

Would you prefer local competitions, and then traveling for NCA/Worlds(if applicable): We're fortunate to have some great competitions locally so yes.

What is the Farthest you have traveled for a competition: Orlando/Atlanta

Does your team stay and travel together or separately? Together only to Orlando or Atlanta. All others we're on our own.

What Gym/Level are you/CP at: Senior 3

Where is your Gym Located: VA

What/Where are the competitions you attend: Fl, ATL, Mrytle Beach

How many out of town competitions do you attend per season: 3

Would you prefer local competitions, and then traveling for NCA/Worlds(if applicable): nope, I like traveling, its only time to vacay

What is the Farthest you have traveled for a competition: TN

Does your team stay and travel together or separately? Its a mix

It can definitely be a lot of fun, especially if you get along well with another family or two and do things together.

very true! cp was just saying last night she can't wait for AC this weekend and that she LOVES 2 day comps. i asked her why and she said because she gets to be on stage twice and hang out with all of her friends and their cool moms. she even suggested we become "buddies" with suzie's mom because she likes suzie. #no

very true! cp was just saying last night she can't wait for AC this weekend and that she LOVES 2 day comps. i asked her why and she said because she gets to be on stage twice and hang out with all of her friends and their cool moms. she even suggested we become "buddies" with suzie's mom because she likes suzie. #no
CP has similar feeling. This is the first year he has not crossed over because of distance to the gym but in the past has done it to have more time on the floor and to be with friends
Good luck in AC wish could make it but not in the cards for me this year.

ETA: guess cp does see Suzie and you do her mom ;). Good luck with that one

Cp is on a jr 5 team here in Texas. We are fortunate to live in an area with an abundance of competitions to choose from, so we don't travel as much as many of you. This year we will be traveling to Houston and Atlanta. NCA is in our backyard. We look forward to our away comps as a mini vacation, but I'm glad we have good ones locally too. Generally, there will be a block of rooms available, but we are free to stay where we choose. Athletes are required to stay together in Atlanta though.

We actually love traveling. When CP first started cheering we had to go to a competition that was 2 hours away. We spent the night and complained about why we had to go SOOOO far.

That was also back when (having never been a cheerleader myself) I was horrified at the whole thing and swore I would NEVER wear any tee shirt or sweatshirt or anything that identified me with a cheer gym. Many t-shirts, sweatshirts and Urban Decay glitter liners later, we now commute over 2 hours just to get her to practice.

We have less travel with new gym than we had before, most are within a few hours, except for BATC and Worlds. But we are going to Dallas to watch this year - part of CP's Christmas present, at her request. Lots of people we know there to support. Only bad part is we have to share our room with a nutty Mom and her son.

We actually love traveling. When CP first started cheering we had to go to a competition that was 2 hours away. We spent the night and complained about why we had to go SOOOO far.

That was also back when (having never been a cheerleader myself) I was horrified at the whole thing and swore I would NEVER wear any tee shirt or sweatshirt or anything that identified me with a cheer gym. Many t-shirts, sweatshirts and Urban Decay glitter liners later, we now commute over 2 hours just to get her to practice.

We have less travel with new gym than we had before, most are within a few hours, except for BATC and Worlds. But we are going to Dallas to watch this year - part of CP's Christmas present, at her request. Lots of people we know there to support. Only bad part is we have to share our room with a nutty Mom and her son.
Don't you just hate when that happens? Good luck surviving them

Back