Tips For A New Cheer Coach

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 25, 2017
Hi! I am a new cheer coach looking for any helpful tips, tricks, and/or advice from other coaches. Is there anything you wish you knew when starting out? I would love to hear things that worked and didn't work for you. Thank you in advance :D

Hi! I am a new cheer coach looking for any helpful tips, tricks, and/or advice from other coaches. Is there anything you wish you knew when starting out? I would love to hear things that worked and didn't work for you. Thank you in advance :D
The biggest thing I advise you to do is look at the big picture. Take winning out of the equation and remember to look at your athletes as kids...because that's what they are! As a young cheer coach, I forgot about that sometimes, but we really are building people, not just athletes. :) Love and kindness go a long way!

-order extra of everything
-always have a plan C to your plan B (plan A rarely happens)
-carry extra of everything
-remember kids are emotional little humans who just don't make sense sometimes...
-don't take anything personal
-the team is more important than any one individual
-(as stated above) always keep learning, there's always so much to learn
-"Changer" Cheer-Anger is a real thing
- focus on the WILL of your team and SKILL will always follow

-order extra of everything
-always have a plan C to your plan B (plan A rarely happens)
-carry extra of everything
-remember kids are emotional little humans who just don't make sense sometimes...
-don't take anything personal
-the team is more important than any one individual
-(as stated above) always keep learning, there's always so much to learn
-"Changer" Cheer-Anger is a real thing
- focus on the WILL of your team and SKILL will always follow
"Changer". :deathdrop:

Coach through love and compassion. Never stop learning. To teach you have to be teachable; to coach you have to be coachable. Lead by example not by lecturing or condemning. Get to know your athletes but don't play favorites. Focus on the positive; compliment your athletes and see them smile! Ps, this is from the perspective of a cheer mom, not a coach! But I can already tell you are going to be a great coach because you are asking this question!

Back