Tips For Allstar Tryouts!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's different for every gym. First of all don't be nervous, just do your best. Second, you should contact the gym where you're going to tryout and get their tryout package. It will likely include everything you need to know.

Best of luck!

The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?

I'm so nervous! what do they ask you to do? How long are they? how do you tryout?!
Our gym breaks it down into 3 days. The first day you come at the time designated by your tumbling level, the 2nd day is by age groups, afterwards the coaches give out slips that tells each athlete what session to come to on the final day. Good luck!

Each gym is different when it comes to tryout requirements, but some things are the same across the board. My program is holding tryouts in a few weeks, so I will tell you what I have told all of our hopefuls:

1. Get in shape. Condition three times a week-- even if it is only a 20 minute walk or run, do something! Stretch every night-- again, even if you can only manage some basic straddle sits or splits during commercial breaks in your favorite TV show, every little bit helps.

2. Come to tryout clinic ready to learn. When the coach or a seasoned athlete offers advice, take a minute to think over how best to use it and then use it. When I am looking for the new season's teams, I am looking for potential and attitude as much as skill. If you are easy to work with and willing to try you will make an impression on the coaches.

3. Work your tumbling before tryouts. Attend classes and open gyms as much as you can to become confident in your skills and perhaps add a few more. Tumbling is a necessity for most all star athletes, but if you can't tumble, don't be discouraged. Be willing to learn.

4. Be confident. You will be nervous, but try not to let that show. Be prepared by learning the tryout material and practicing until you could do it in your sleep. Ask questions if you need to, to make sure you are doing it right. And on the day, stand up proud and confident that you are doing your very best.

5. Smile, work as a team, and have fun! As a coach, I want a team that I can enjoy working with; smile at the judges and you will notice that they will smile back.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Each gym is different when it comes to tryout requirements, but some things are the same across the board. My program is holding tryouts in a few weeks, so I will tell you what I have told all of our hopefuls:

1. Get in shape. Condition three times a week-- even if it is only a 20 minute walk or run, do something! Stretch every night-- again, even if you can only manage some basic straddle sits or splits during commercial breaks in your favorite TV show, every little bit helps.

2. Come to tryout clinic ready to learn. When the coach or a seasoned athlete offers advice, take a minute to think over how best to use it and then use it. When I am looking for the new season's teams, I am looking for potential and attitude as much as skill. If you are easy to work with and willing to try you will make an impression on the coaches.

3. Work your tumbling before tryouts. Attend classes and open gyms as much as you can to become confident in your skills and perhaps add a few more. Tumbling is a necessity for most all star athletes, but if you can't tumble, don't be discouraged. Be willing to learn.

4. Be confident. You will be nervous, but try not to let that show. Be prepared by learning the tryout material and practicing until you could do it in your sleep. Ask questions if you need to, to make sure you are doing it right. And on the day, stand up proud and confident that you are doing your very best.

5. Smile, work as a team, and have fun! As a coach, I want a team that I can enjoy working with; smile at the judges and you will notice that they will smile back.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Everything Christy said, which btw was very informative and concise, only I would also include to go to any Tryout Clinics offered- In these clinic in my opinion are Pre-tryouts, because most of the teams' coaches are there and actually teaching everything and you have an opportunity to ask questions without all the stress of a tryout...;)

Last edited:
See if the gym does open gyms/ tryout clinics and go to them to get to know the coaches and to work on your skills
stretch/ condition as much as possible
Be confident and positive at tryouts - if you have a bad personality it will show and they won't want you on the team
Be organised- go on their website and find out as much info about the tryout as possible e.g. what do you need to bring/what will you need to do
At tryouts: every gym is different but they will probably
teach you a dance and ask you to perform it - be clean, sharp and be sure to smile
ask you to show your best tumbling skills (standing and running)
ask you to do jumps/jumps with tumbling
test your flexibility - especially if you're trying out to be a flyer
you might do stunts

Good Luck!!!

Think of it as a skills assessment instead of trying out. 'Try outs" sounds so daunting and scary. What the coaches are really doing is looking at your skills and figuring out which team you'll best fit onto to create a successful team not only for the gym but also for you. Like I told my girls, 'making' a level 3 team because you 'kind of' have a back tuck might not be the best place for you THIS year as you'll feel like you are constantly trying to keep your head above water and may get discouraged.

And yes, each team is different in their 'try outs'- our current gym did a month long assessment where as our new gym does a three day try out (flying one night, two nights of tumbling, jumps and performance). Good luck and above all- have fun with it!

Back