All-Star To Tell Or Not To Tell..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yeah I would double check if that is truly a cross over. I don't think it is - per a search of USASF.
  • CROSSOVERS
An individual will not be permitted to crossover from one program to another within the same event (Exception: An athlete from one gym may crossover to one additional gym’s Level 6 team provided (s)he meets the age requirement. For the 2012-13 season, an all-star cheerleader is limited to crossing over to 2 (two) additional cheer teams from their gym per competition. Therefore, an athlete may compete on one team and crossover to two more teams from the same gym during the competition. An event producer may choose to be more restrictive than the rules above for crossovers limiting the number of teams an athlete may crossover to further; however an event producer may not be less restrictive than this. Crossover limitations above do not include athletes that crossover from cheer to dance.
No crossovers period at worlds though

I interpreted that in the past this team had illegal age people but the poster did not know if that was the case this year.

For curiosity I wanted to see what the dance packet said -the funny thing here is this is what the USASF dance says in its worlds packet: It does not mention cheer at all- but you would think that because the cheer packet does say specifically no crossover that the USASF dance packet would say it as well. Wouldn't it make sense for both to have the rule about crossover from cheer to dance clearly listed? I know gyms should be checking both and know all the rules but if one says it they should clearly list it in both.
CROSSOVERS
  1. Dancer(s) may compete in more than one division and/or category as long as they abide by
    the age restrictions in all divisions in which they compete.
  2. Dancers may not compete in more than one routine in the same category and division.
    (Example: A dancer may not compete in 2 Senior Jazz routines.)
    1. Exception: If a dancer is on a Coed and Non-Coed team and the event producer combines the
      divisions, this rule does not apply (Example: A dancer may not compete in Senior Small Jazz
      and Senior Large Jazz, but a dancer may compete in Senior Jazz and Senior Coed Jazz.)
    2. Exception: The Prep Category.

I interpreted that in the past this team had illegal age people but the poster did not know if that was the case this year.

For curiosity I wanted to see what the dance packet said -the funny thing here is this is what the USASF dance says in its worlds packet: It does not mention cheer at all- but you would think that because the cheer packet does say specifically no crossover that the USASF dance packet would say it as well. Wouldn't it make sense for both to have the rule about crossover from cheer to dance clearly listed? I know gyms should be checking both and know all the rules but if one says it they should clearly list it in both.
CROSSOVERS
  1. Dancer(s) may compete in more than one division and/or category as long as they abide by
    the age restrictions in all divisions in which they compete.
  2. Dancers may not compete in more than one routine in the same category and division.
    (Example: A dancer may not compete in 2 Senior Jazz routines.)
    1. Exception: If a dancer is on a Coed and Non-Coed team and the event producer combines the
      divisions, this rule does not apply (Example: A dancer may not compete in Senior Small Jazz
      and Senior Large Jazz, but a dancer may compete in Senior Jazz and Senior Coed Jazz.)
    2. Exception: The Prep Category.

Okay replying to myself because it did not make sense that both packets would not say it. ..so what I first posted was on the USASF Dance Worlds page when you click on RULES section that was what specifically was listed under crosssover but then when you go in the dance worlds and click on registration packet it does have the no cheer/dance crossover although a dance can be in 3 routines.
Crossovers
At The Dance Worlds, a participant may not perform more than three times
and must represent the same program. Crossovers of participants from other programs will not be permitted. Crossovers of participants between cheer and dance teams are not permitted (No dancers may compete in the Cheerleading Worlds and the Dance Worlds).
If teams are found to have a crossover, those teams may:
• Be disqualified.
• Be responsible for repaying the total cost of any funds received

through a “Partial Paid” bid.
• Be prevented (along with the entire program from that gym) to

page7image47312

While it is the job of the gyms to know this I can certainly see why a gym could be confused - depends where you are reading and when. I think both dance and cheer should have that clearly stated in their normal rules that crossovers between both will not be allowed at worlds.
Perhaps reporting this to the gym and letting them know you will report them is a better route. Depends what your motive is... is it to make it fair then making sure they know it (I know ignorance is no excuse) might be the best first course. ... just saying I know it sounds like you know this gym has knowingly broke rules before and did you report then - wondering what the change of heart and how you know all this as well???

If this is true, clearly you know that telling is the right thing to do. It's not an issue.

Besides it wouldn't be hard for one of the fierceboard detectives to figure out who it is ...

Anyway. If its true and you have proof or whatever you need...tell.

Anyone else really shocked/confused why its illegal for someone to compete at the dance & cheer worlds when they are completely separate weekends? i dont see how that would give any teams an advantage..

They aren't separate weekends.

R U sure they r underage for Worlds.....as long as they r 14 by the end of the year for cheer, they r old enough......don't know how dance is.....

i would say something. i agree with eeryone else, just complaining about rules wont get them fixed. the problem has to be pointed out

Anyone else really shocked/confused why its illegal for someone to compete at the dance & cheer worlds when they are completely separate weekends? i dont see how that would give any teams an advantage..
Totally agree Especially since the rest of the year they are allowed to cross over between cheer and dance according to both of their separate USASF sites - seems to be just a world thing. The only time the rule clearly says they can't is when you look at the worlds info packet. I can see why a gym would think this is OK. That is why I asked if they had notified the gym and asked about the posters motives. Personally I would feel it is something I would point out now and say to the gym owner and coach at which point if it still occurs then tell.with full clear conscious that you did the right thing from the start and gave this gym a chance to do the right thing and they can not play the ignorance card .. but if you know it is wrong and just wait for a mistake that just seems like a different motive (still the team did wrong and needs to be notified because in the end it is their responsibility but not really doing something with a good heart and mind in my book) I just think if you already know it could happen it is better to go with a clear mind that you know this gym was aware.

but to me, the thing is- if its an honest mistake and they have no idea, put yourself in their position. If your team made an honest mistake such as this, would you want someone to point it out to YOU so you can fix it, or tell usasf and have about 50 heartbroken kids? i know its "cheating" but that may not be their intentions

but to me, the thing is- if its an honest mistake and they have no idea, put yourself in their position. If your team made an honest mistake such as this, would you want someone to point it out to YOU so you can fix it, or tell usasf and have about 50 heartbroken kids? i know its "cheating" but that may not be their intentions
Exactly that is why I asked what the intent of the initial poster as her only question was whether to tell and did not mention or bring up the thought of telling them gym. I think telling the gym should be the first step - then besides being teh right thing you go in to telling USASF with a clear conscious that you made the effort to make sure this gym was aware of the rules.

Back