All-Star Too Much Money Not To Win?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Actually, I think it's a fair question. Why would you want to sign your child up for a gym that has the reputation of losing every single time?

I definitely agree that parents should take the time to research whatever gym they're going to sign up with and this is a valid question, what confused me was finding that 'random mom' (which I was) to ask those questions to.

The area we're moving to is home to three bigger gyms and a handful of smaller ones. I've been doing everything from visiting websites to seeing what comps they attend to watch YouTube videos of their different levels because I want to see how their Youth 1 and 3 does, not just their Y5 and S5...etc. etc.

With our area being so much smaller, doing that intensive type of research would sorta be pointless, but you can see the banners on the wall, they're not hidden; our trophies are at adult height level, so it just came across as super, super random.

Actually, I think it's a fair question. Why would you want to sign your child up for a gym that has the reputation of losing every single time?
But what if the cp of the parent asking just plain sucks as a cheerleader? Do they still deserve to be only in a wining program of should they look for a mediocre one?

Not addressing you specifically just the quote.

The Fierce Board, where the NSA has nothing on the Mods

I feel like it is a lot of money to pay if your coaches don't prepare you, and no one likes to loose. If you are looking fora. Gym that has both good life lessons, and they work so hard and rarely loose, try california allstars. I love the atmosphere there!:)

But what if the cp of the parent asking just plain sucks as a cheerleader? Do they still deserve to be only in a wining program of should they look for a mediocre one?

But why would ANYONE look for a mediocre program? I know my CP isn't the best cheerleader in the world and honestly, I don't expect her ever to be. But I want her to be at a good gym, so that she can be the best athlete she's capable of being.

The Fierce Board, where the NSA has nothing on the Mods

Totally a valid question.

However, from where I've sat as a parent...and I'll admit that my experience is quite limited compared to most on here since CP is so much younger, BUT I've yet to actually meet a parent, who has a mediocre cheerleader as a child, who knew their child was mediocre...so first things first, accepting that your child isn't the best.

However, from where I've sat as a parent...and I'll admit that my experience is quite limited compared to most on here since CP is so much younger, BUT I've yet to actually meet a parent, who has a mediocre cheerleader as a child, who knew their child was mediocre...so first things first, accepting that your child isn't the best.
Then we need to meet ;)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

There are several types of winning (using level 5 as an example):
There's the top 3-4 small/large senior. Where ANY one of them could hit and still not globe/gold. 3rd place in those divisions is nothing to sneer at, but it can still feel like a loss when you've been competitive for years. While you can be proud of your accomplishments, you can still be very dissatisfied with your placement.

Then there's LCF in Small Senior- you'd have thought they won with how excited they were. For them, THAT was a win.

The same concepts are applicable in other divisions/levels. Personally, I've always thought that competitive was enough. I want to win, but everything is so 'any given Sunday' that to expect first place all the time is impossible.

I'd say it's too mic money for me not to progress. I'm not that worried about winning, I just want to be competitive, bc we all know you can have a great routine and not win. But if I'm not seeing any progress, that's a red flag. I don't mean "moving up a level every year" but more of am I getting stronger, more confident, my tumbling/stunts/jumps improving, etc. Not all progress has to be in your skills, but I need to be progressing in some area. For example, I've been working on my standing tuck forever but I still think I've been progressing bc every day I'm a little closer or a little more confident or more aware of my body. And I know someday ill land it by myself - so the money isn't being wasted.

You haven't met me. My child is NOT the best on the team, never will be. She will probably never be a level 5 athlete. She is a 10 year old who has had to work for 3 years to get her standing handspring. I still think she deserves quality instruction on a lower level team. She works hard and does everything her coaches ask, but definitely lacks the natural talent others her age have. It is hard for her to watch others progress so much faster with less work, while she has to push just to keep up. I am glad her gym doesn't have the attitude the mediocre kids belong at a mediocre gym. They help her work hard to. Be the best level 2 athlete she can be, even if that is as far as she ever goes.

I am going to say you comment has made me quite angry because it has hit quite a raw nerve. I am dyslexic with mild dyspraxia didnt know till a year ago (when I was 19) so when it comes to thing like cheer and gymnastics im am mediocre for years I have been overlooked at every class I have been to. I wanted to learn how to do gymnastics at 19 so settled for a tiny little adult program where although I loved I didnt really progress. I then supplemented that with an open gym at a small gym as was completly overlooked even when I asked for help. I didnt want to go to the big open gym in my area or a good cheer program because I didnt feel I was good enough but i tried and for the first time in so long I feel people helping me showing me what to do and in the short couple of months I have been with my team I have improved so much. I have to move away so wont be with that program next season but am so thankful that I chose a bigger open gym and a good program because I have gained confidence most mediocre kids are the ones that work the hardest and also deserve the best coaching along with the elite

I am going to say you comment has made me quite angry because it has hit quite a raw nerve. I am dyslexic with mild dyspraxia didnt know till a year ago (when I was 19) so when it comes to thing like cheer and gymnastics im am mediocre for years I have been overlooked at every class I have been to. I wanted to learn how to do gymnastics at 19 so settled for a tiny little adult program where although I loved I didnt really progress. I then supplemented that with an open gym at a small gym as was completly overlooked even when I asked for help. I didnt want to go to the big open gym in my area or a good cheer program because I didnt feel I was good enough but i tried and for the first time in so long I feel people helping me showing me what to do and in the short couple of months I have been with my team I have improved so much. I have to move away so wont be with that program next season but am so thankful that I chose a bigger open gym and a good program because I have gained confidence most mediocre kids are the ones that work the hardest and also deserve the best coaching along with the elite

I don't at all disagree with your last comment, and that wasn't the intent of what I meant.

First off, good for you! That is awesome that you took the initiative to learn something you wanted to and found a program that was helpful. My youngest little girl is special needs (Autism) and I had to pull her from gymnastic's because I could not find a coach that understood her needs, and the few who did, chose not to actually do what was in her best interest. As a mom, I've been there.

However, my comment wasn't meant to be insulting or to say a child doesn't deserve better training than the next. And it was in direct response to a series of questions that ranged from, "Why would you want to sign up for a mediocre program" "What if your kid is mediocre?" So it wasn't meant as a call out to those cheerleader who work their butt off and it just doesn't come easy to. My CP sits in that corner. It does not come easy to her and she has had to work her butt off to get to where she is at, but for the mom's that I've met who have children who are no different than my CP, all I hear it, "Why isn't my kid in front?" "My kid wants to fly." "My kid does xyz better than everyone else why is she in back?" and on and on and on. We do not have a single child on our team that is the star, and I like it that way because every single one of them has a strength and weakness. The parents I've dealt with, only see their children's strengths and deny deny deny any weakness they may have.

That is what I meant by my comment. It wasn't aimed to be hurtful at all.

I don't at all disagree with your last comment, and that wasn't the intent of what I meant.

First off, good for you! That is awesome that you took the initiative to learn something you wanted to and found a program that was helpful. My youngest little girl is special needs (Autism) and I had to pull her from gymnastic's because I could not find a coach that understood her needs, and the few who did, chose not to actually do what was in her best interest. As a mom, I've been there.

However, my comment wasn't meant to be insulting or to say a child doesn't deserve better training than the next. And it was in direct response to a series of questions that ranged from, "Why would you want to sign up for a mediocre program" "What if your kid is mediocre?" So it wasn't meant as a call out to those cheerleader who work their butt off and it just doesn't come easy to. My CP sits in that corner. It does not come easy to her and she has had to work her butt off to get to where she is at, but for the mom's that I've met who have children who are no different than my CP, all I hear it, "Why isn't my kid in front?" "My kid wants to fly." "My kid does xyz better than everyone else why is she in back?" and on and on and on. We do not have a single child on our team that is the star, and I like it that way because every single one of them has a strength and weakness. The parents I've dealt with, only see their children's strengths and deny deny deny any weakness they may have.

That is what I meant by my comment. It wasn't aimed to be hurtful at all.

I understand where you are coming from now. I fell in love with cheer a couple of years back but didnt join until last september at university I love the sport but struggled with the team a bit. So to be better I went to the local gymnastics club near the uni as much as I could. when i went to a competiton with my university I saw my local tea and approached them about training in easter and summer break they were lovely and been the best decsion I have ever made was to do cheer out of university.

For me cheer has helped my coordination because I never want someone to fall so I do my best to keep it in the air even if I get hurt. It also help with planning as I know wehn to do my schoolwork to fit in with practice so I meet my deadlines.

I love to be competitive and this sport is great. I agree with the strength and weaknesses part but being on an older senior team with limited parent input most know where their strenghts are and how to improve on weaknesses. I really respect my coaches as they are all on other teams yet help us so much. I have been with my team since early april and I have got so much more confident.

Because sometimes kids can not handle the pressure that results from belonging to a highly competitive gym. My daughter could not. When she decided to return to cheer, I found a gym where they do not have a reputation of doing well. I explained that to CP before she joined. For some of us, it is not about the win anymore. My CP just wants to belong to a squad, have fun, learn some cool skills, and make friends. She has never said that winning is important to her. She is quite young (only 9). I am thrilled that we found a gym that meets all of her needs.

If her desire changes, and she no longer wants to place low at competitions, then we will switch. However, she says that she never wants to cheer anywhere else but her current gym.

I would probably cut the parent who asked the question a break, I would likely have asked the same question. That being said, I certainly wouldn't have meant that the money spent needed to guarantee my cp's team a win but to make sure they are up in the top and win a decent amount. (this represents, good training,decent technique, good choreography and a healthy team dynamic)
I have "been there done that" with my cp's original program many years ago. It was one of the most expensive in our state and we were basically told how we were "so good" blah, blah, blah. They gave a sense of false belief to the parents and kids. It we ever went out against the big gyms we were given excuses as to how we "got robbed". "Um No... we looked like crap on the mat!!" After 4 seasons of sub par placements we packed our bags. (along with about 50 others) I spent waaaay too much money to "not win" At the next program we participated in, the expenses were less, the teams were more competitive and we were given and accurate representation to where we stood in the greater cheer world. We didn't win every time, (not even close) but the product was better. Far better money spent IMO.

Back