High School Too Much Practice??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I practiced everyday at 5 in the morning till 7 before school. We got nothing done. If I had that much practice time with my kids I cant even imagine how good my team would be. At the same time though I think that create burn out and becomes counter productive.

Cheerleading is a class for us at my school so we cheer everyday during 7th hour for an hour and then on Wednesdays its2 hours but we also have extra practices about 1-2 times a week that are from either 2 1/2 hours - 3 and during weeks of our performances well have longer practices and more a week. During the summer though we have routine camp for two days 8 hours a day and monday-thursday practices for 2-3 hours.

We are in our preseason still which is Monday - Friday from 8-11. When school stars they practice everyday from 3:30-5:30. Tumbling classes on Wednesdays hopefully...and every other Saturday from 8-11. Definitely is a lot but we want to win!!!

At my school now it's double sessions since school hasn't started yet: 9-12, and then 1-4. Monday through Saturday, for two weeks. I don't cheer there anymore, but it's HELL. Once school starts it's 3 hour practices every day, usually a game friday night or saturday afternoon. If theres a game friday night, then theres a saturday practice. And it's all for practicing the competitive routine..we like never practiced sidelines or anything haha.

Cheerleading is a class for us at my school so we cheer everyday during 7th hour for an hour and then on Wednesdays its2 hours but we also have extra practices about 1-2 times a week that are from either 2 1/2 hours - 3 and during weeks of our performances well have longer practices and more a week. During the summer though we have routine camp for two days 8 hours a day and monday-thursday practices for 2-3 hours.
whoaa how does practice during school work??? Is it accredited or anything? &&Is it better during 7th hr than it would be after school?, We were going to do that with our old coach because with my school cheerleading is an "activity", but he moved so we just never set it up or anything

My daughters team practices Monday through Friday 4-6:30. When games start they practice before the game and then change and go cheer. If the game is away then they have to go full out one time and then they can change to leave. Obviously it's the right thing to do because they are the defending 4 time State Champs right now :)

My team practices 2:30 to 5:30 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. This week, we're doing 2:30 to 8:30. I think it's a little much, especially since I will have to miss my all star practice Thursday, but who am I to say? :)

When I did HS it was right after school, 2:30/3ish to 5 Mon-Fri and Sat Mornings? I only did basketball season, not football, so I don't know what their practices were like then. We would warm-up/stretch, work on learning/perfecting basketball cheers, then work jumps, tumbling, or stunts. Then we would either learn or perfect sections of our comp routine, and end with conditioning. Always seemed like just enough time..

whoaa how does practice during school work??? Is it accredited or anything? &&Is it better during 7th hr than it would be after school?, We were going to do that with our old coach because with my school cheerleading is an "activity", but he moved so we just never set it up or anything
Cheerleadings counted as a credit at my school and we have it last period seventh hour. I like having it as a class a lot because we get a lot done and have the gym everyday and since more than half of my squad does competitive cheer also we dont have to worry about the two practices interfering to much!

i'm on my high school team too..we practice everyday monday-friday for 3 hours. 9-12. i had my first full practice today with my team for the season. we ran a full mile which we don't walk at all, then we did cheers & stunted. then we conditioned. we spelt out our team name while bench pressing our fliers in the air. we also ran while cheering our cheers & when my stunt fell i had to run again. i guess all the practice and conditioning and running will all be worth it in the end.
I feel your pain! Today we my flyer fell and the whole team had to run except her.

Cheerleadings counted as a credit at my school and we have it last period seventh hour. I like having it as a class a lot because we get a lot done and have the gym everyday and since more than half of my squad does competitive cheer also we dont have to worry about the two practices interfering to much!
wow that sounds really nice! what state are you from?

We go Mon, Tues, Thurs from 3:30 - 6 (usually run a little late) and the Saturdays 10 - 12. On busy weeks or competition weeks we add Wednesdays and Fridays if needed. Once a week we have an open gym from 6 - 7 for extra tumbling help and then another day flyers stay after for stretching.

Back