Traditions Or Rituals?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We have always aimed to discourage rituals and superstitions, as if they don't get a chance to happen it can throw the athlete off their guard simply because they are worried they didn't do the ritual, nothing to do with any actual bad luck. These days however i like to lean down and touch the comp surface, not for any sort of additional luck, just because if i don't do it deliberately i will never have touched the floor with any part of my body, as i'm always in the chair, and it's nice to have done so...

We have always aimed to discourage rituals and superstitions, as if they don't get a chance to happen it can throw the athlete off their guard simply because they are worried they didn't do the ritual, nothing to do with any actual bad luck. These days however i like to lean down and touch the comp surface, not for any sort of additional luck, just because if i don't do it deliberately i will never have touched the floor with any part of my body, as i'm always in the chair, and it's nice to have done so...
Good point; I know people the touch down or bobble and the blame it on a supersitition ( they wore a differnt pair of socks or ate something new for breakfeast. I have gone without my " traditions" before and I dont even relize it and compete fine.

As a team, we all sit in a circle and sing our routine music, and Barbie gets passed around (she's our theme this year!) and each teammate makes a promise to the team. Individually, I always open a brand new pair of socks the morning of!

My cp had a lot of silly rituals until a couple of weeks ago when she didn't do any of them and gave her 2 best performances of the season. But we will ALWAYS say a quick prayer (as parents/athletes) before they go to warm-ups. And it's not "Dear God, no bobbles or tbs," it's "thanks for allowing us this chance and please let these athletes perform according to Your will, and keep them safe."

One team I cheered for had a ritual of making a wish and throwing a penny over our shoulder into the water at Baltimore. I thought it was cute/fun.

I also like when teams have a "team song" for that season. One year my teams was Bless the Broken Road because we'd been through so many obstacles that year.. we ended up winning CEAs first NCA banner :) I know Sr Elites this year is Long Live and I think it's perfect.

Also we had a candle ceremony every year at camp in our coachs room where we really bonded and our cheer sisters got revealed.

Pray &do our team chant;) we also play a bunch of games while waiting in the warmups and before the awards ceremonies.... you would know if you were at GLCC Detroit for Level 4 session<<that's the best:rolleyes:

Back