All-Star Training Athletes From Other Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In this case it is not open gym and the owner has every right to only allow his own teams to practice and it would be considered tumbling classes. But if he is advertising "open gym" than he should be allowing any one the opportunity to come in and tumble.

I agree with you. Just trying to shed a different light on the other side of the coin.

I can't answer this from a gym/coaches perspective but I can say that my CP has trained and tumbled at a number of gyms and we've never had a problem. From our perspective, training outside our program was necessary as our program didn't have the classes we needed and we found privates there to be very expensive.

Also, I think that training with a few different programs was useful as each team explained things slightly differently so she was better able to understand difficult concepts. This spring we were considering a move and the ability to be present at a gym and 'get the temperature' of the program was very useful to us. One program that we had considered a front runner was ruled out because I did not feel comfortable with the overall dynamic of the gym (for us- it's an amazing program and they have wonderful people). We wouldn't have discovered that if we didn't have the chance to take tumbling there. On the other hand, we felt so positively about the atmosphere of another gym that we decided the very long drive from our home was 'so worth it' to quote my CP. We have since moved to this program.

Also, I will say that not one of the 4 gyms she worked out in actively tried to recruit us. A couple definitely mentioned their try out dates but my CP never felt pressured or uncomfortable at all. Ultimately we did make a move to the 'so worth it' gym and we are thrilled there!

Long rambling response but bottom line- we benefitted tremendously from the classes we took and it gave us the chance to evaluate our next cheer move :)

Our old gym found out cp went to tumble elsewhere once time and they completely freaked out. They said their gym was a family, not a business, and so we had to be faithful. We had no intention of going anywhere during the season, so we didn't understand the problem. But we followed the rules for the rest of the season and then left (not just because of that).

Current gym is totally fine wherever we tumble extra - and welcomes others without trying to recruit.

Our old gym had a policy that their all star athletes could not take tumbling classes or any other classes at gyms that also had an all star cheer program. it was in the contract.

If owners feel this way I agree it should be in their policy. It makes things less confusing & akward for parents/team members.

It really isn't a bad idea to let kids from other gyms take tumbling classes at your gym or your kids take tumbling classes at other gyms. There's about 5 gyms within a 20 mile radius where I live (some of them are VERY small) and I would have no problem if one of my kids took classes at another gym.
It is like people always say "you behave better for someone else than your own mother." We tell the kids the same things and they get used to the way we coach. If a coach at gym B says the same exact thing, the kid gets it for some reason. If they hear what you are trying to say from someone else, it may hit home more. I'm all about what is going to help the kids learn.

Happened to a friend of mine just last week. Owner of her former gym told them they could no longer tumble at their gym because she is no longer with them. Bad business if you ask me. I think gym owners are not confident about their program and feel threatened by the other gym if they have to resort to this.

I feel so so so strongly about this issue. My daughter was taking tumbling classes at a gym closer to our house, and a coach there got in her face and yelled at her to "get out of the gym because you aren't welcome here". I couldn't believe it; first off completely disrespecting my child in front of everyone in the gym just because she goes to a different gym, and second turning away a paying customer because we certainly WILL NOT be going back there again!

I think not allowing the training of other athletes in your facility is a recipe for disaster as a business. Discriminating against a customer based on their "Gym Affiliation" is awful. What it shows is that the restricting gym is insecure in the handling their business. What one gym wont do, trust me others will. If you have a problem with a specific person recruiting, bad mouthing or whatever, how about you be the business owner that you are and confront the person. Gyms applying blanket, "you cant come here rules" upon everyone leaves a bad taste in all of your potential and ex. customers mouths. Finally, if I ever thought or considered bringing my CP your way, all bets are off now. If the gym owner was running their business properly then the members within could not be "recruited" to do anything. And who cares if someone leaves, thats the name of this game, it comes with the territory. As a business owner you have to know that you can't please everyone....JMO>>>

HOW.. can you tell someone to get out of their gym? honestly if you have a problem pull their PARENTS aside! not thekids?

In this case it is not open gym and the owner has every right to only allow his own teams to practice and it would be considered tumbling classes. But if he is advertising "open gym" than he should be allowing any one the opportunity to come in and tumble.

I think Mr. Yoda is also referring to high school teams that come to the gym and cheer. Susie X cheers on Rival All-Stars, but she trains with Fayetteville High School who tumbles at my gym. That type of thing.

Back