All-Star Transitioning

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 7, 2012
I was enjoying a recap of the NCA finals this weekend (Couldn't ESPN air them earlier than 7 weeks?), and was somewhat taken aback by what seemed like very slow transitions by some of the top teams. I don't want to mention team names here, but I was wondering if I was just mistaken, being a rookie watcher and all, or if it was noticeable to more experienced eyes like we have here on the board. After watching teams that I believe DO have quick transitions, I wonder why the choreographers can't/won't fix this on otherwise great teams. As in many things in life, the explanation probably isn't as easy as I might think.

You had me second guessing myself, but I went back and checked and the announcer said "From Dallas, Tx, February 27th through March 1st". Those are the dates for the NCA championships.

My bad! It was CBS. Forgive me ESPN!
Aaaahhh. I assumed you meant NCA College, but you were talking all star. Got it! I can't give you an answer...sorry. :(

Do you mean like slow transitions as in walking to a stunt for like an entire 8 count and no choreography?

I know for some teams (not saying this is true for super high level top teams) but taking a slower time to get somewhere with less choreography is much cleaner than scurrying around trying to do skills to get to your spot. With the prestige of NCA, I'm assuming all teams are airing on the side of hitting the scoresheet really well. The Routine Creativity portion of the scoresheet is subjective and applies to all aspects of the routine. Taking a small hit there but gaining points in execution and overall appeal may be worth it to get the highest score.

Do you mean like slow transitions as in walking to a stunt for like an entire 8 count and no choreography?

I know for some teams (not saying this is true for super high level top teams) but taking a slower time to get somewhere with less choreography is much cleaner than scurrying around trying to do skills to get to your spot. With the prestige of NCA, I'm assuming all teams are airing on the side of hitting the scoresheet really well. The Routine Creativity portion of the scoresheet is subjective and applies to all aspects of the routine. Taking a small hit there but gaining points in execution and overall appeal may be worth it to get the highest score.
That sounds very reasonable and I can completely understand it, yet the quickness of some of the routines make them incredible to watch. Thanks to everyone for increasing my understanding.

Back