All-Star Travel And Meals...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MzLyn23

Cheer Parent
Sep 16, 2014
Ok, so although CP (& family) have traveled out of state for comps etc, its usually been 4 hours away no more than 5... and we've been lucky to have fridge and microwave in room. For our next comp, WSF Kentucky, our hotel has 2 microwaves guests can use but no fridge. I of course already know mac/n/cheese is doable.... but I want to save as much as I can $$$ wise on food. Will I spend $$ on food if necessary like once a day? yes but I definitely don't want to spend 5 days eating out the entire time.

I'm familiar with snack items especially since my son is gluten/egg/peanut free as well as other food allergies, but I wanted any other recommendations possible. I'm looking for food that doesn't need refrigeration and if necessary can be heated up in a microwave. I know when NCA comes around this is more difficult because honestly how much food can I travel with especially if I plan to have just carry ons... but at least for Kentucky I need assistance... the other 2 possibly 3 out of states, i have booked hotels efficiancies so I can cook.

I also know theres probably a post somewhere, but when I'm searching on FB, not finding a lot that can help.

Thanks everyone!!!!

;)

Is bringing a small cooler for your refrigerated foods an option for you? You could even refill it with ice from the hotel's ice machine :p

We thought of that and plan to find a small one to store some of my son's specially made food (like I'm cooking Wednesday and refrigerating or freezing some items for him that I can reheat in a microwave)... but seeing that he is the allergic one and needs the cooler more.... I wanted options for me, DH, and CP.... 3 mouths to feed lol

We thought of that and plan to find a small one to store some of my son's specially made food (like I'm cooking Wednesday and refrigerating or freezing some items for him that I can reheat in a microwave)... but seeing that he is the allergic one and needs the cooler more.... I wanted options for me, DH, and CP.... 3 mouths to feed lol

Could you bring 2 coolers? :p

Another option: bring a crockpot, set it up in your hotel room before you leave for the day, cook food while you're at the comp. Depending on what you're making (like meat) it might require you to know what's around your hotel before hand incase you need to make a quick store run. But I'm sure there's meatless dishes that can be easily made like soups, pasta dishes, etc.

In all seriousness I can't really think of anything other than that (and I'm a very resourceful and cheap person). I think you're limited to dried and canned goods. Spaghetti and canned sauce you can cook/heat up in the microwave might be the most exciting thing I can think of.

Eta: I'd check with the hotel first if they don't mind you using a crockpot. They might consider it fire hazard.

Last edited:
How about one of those cooler bags? My sister use those while traveling. Either bring the food (pre-made/frozen) or buy what you need at a grocery store when you get to Kentucky. Either way you're buying the food one way or another (before or after). After your trip ends (after food is gone) just fold it up so there's one less big item in your vehicle.

ETA: the crockpot is an awesome idea

Keeping even just some sandwich meat and cheese in a cooler alone with like packet mayo and mustard plus a loaf of bread and chips could be lunches for the entire time. I like the crockpot idea, just make sure you don't have maid service or they may flip out on you for leaving it plugged in. Does the hotel provide breakfast? If so, grabbed a few extra pieces of fruit and bringing them to the room for later can help with healthy snacks.

Hit the grocery store and check out the Rice/Beans/Pasta aisle. There are usually a lot of meals in boxes that can be made in a microwave. Also power bars plus a piece of fruit will do for a meal. Bringing a couple loaves of bread is crucial. You can also buy avocados and make avocado sandwiches. Beef jerky is a good idea too.

Did you try calling the hotel and asking for a fridge to be put in the room? They might make accommodations due to your son's allergies.

I think there is a thread on travel meals with great tips but can't remember if it's on the main board or parents side.

We usually eat dinner out but I will bring muffins, pop tarts, bottled water and OJ for breakfast in the room. As well as snacks.

Not the same, and I know you have a plan, but I was with my grandma in London a few weeks ago, I can go forever without eating and then just eat a lot when I do, but she needs breakfast and then snacks throughout the day. We bought crisps, cookies(like oat cookies so they're a bit healthier and more filling), fruit, buns(like bread buns). Then you could buy like croissants and other more food like pastries. Also my mum bought some ready made food which can be stored in room temperature, if it exists in Sweden, it should exist in the US lol. ;) I guess you could bring instant noodles and just microwave some water for it. Good luck!

I have microwaved pasta in a big plastic bowl with water, bring some sauce and cooked meatballs to warm up or make a container of mac and cheese to warm up. I have brought a waffle maker to a hotel with no included breakfast, and don't forget the mimosas!

I send cp with a waffle maker and the shake and pour mix. She feeds her room with that. They also toast bagels in the waffle maker. I pack peanut butter, syrup, bagels and even the already cooked bacon can go on the waffle maker

The waffle stick maker has been an awesome addition for us as well. So easy in the hotel room to have a nice hot, cheap breakfast. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the waffle maker idea. Adding to my list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back