All-Star Trinity And Cheerupdates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Your kidding right? I'm hoping you just haven't taken the time to read through this entire thread. There is nothing wrong with a gym choosing to scholarship an athlete (male or female) but to blatantly recruit with "scholarships" + promises of being paid etc. is WRONG. I'm against scholarships in general (my personal opinion, I just think it's bad business, but in extenuating circumstances I can understand it). My belief is that if a scholarship is awarded it should be returned by cleaning the gym, working classes/camps etc. But to e-mail an athlete or athletes family and promise scholarships + payment is wrong. Build your program the right way, this is against everything I personally believe in and to make it boys vs girls I don't think you are fully understanding the magnitude of this situation.
That is exactly the point. A gift is a gift, regardless of the size - which is why I was hoping to see if there were a legal precedent if this particular incident ended up in court. At which time Trinity et al could then start pointing fingers back in other directions.

I wholly agree that 'scholarships' should be repaid by work - cleaning, coaching, mowing lawns, working in the office. And I know some programs do exactly that. Otherwise the programs with the most money to offer have more opportunity to submit an attractive offer to the best athletes. It's easier for a program with 1000 families to spread/absorb the cost than it is for one with 150 athletes.

And yes, I did read the entire thread.

Girls of cheer have been paying extra to give the boys a free ride forever (some that dont even have talent). I'm glad clubs are offering the talented girls a free ride also now. I still don't see anything wrong with this. By the time a girl has reached the best of level 5 she (and her parents) have pd their dues!
By extension are you saying that the 26, 27, 28 Level 5 girls (and their parents) on each team that don't get an offer like this have not paid their dues and are less deserving than the handful that do?

Not sure if this has been mentioned but since I have digested the situation over the past few days, I have come to a conclusion that what I truly dislike about this situation is that Trinity was buying these athletes to create their gym's reputation. Unlike some of the best gyms who build their name on the development of talent and technique on their teams, Trinity is putting a bunch of well-developed athletes together and calling them their own. I have much more respect for gyms like CA or Rays who truly build up their programs and you can see the consistency from Tiny to World's teams. Trinity was too eager to pay their dues and move up through the ranks and let their coaching do its job to pull in new, talented athletes. They just wanted to get straight to worlds level, something that takes most gyms years. I love seeing gyms like GBE who build their athletes together and then come to success slowly but surely with teams like Lime who surprised the world as a junior team and is now in the ranks of top small senior teams. Those are the gyms I can respect.

By extension are you saying that the 26, 27, 28 Level 5 girls (and their parents) on each team that don't get an offer like this have not paid their dues and are less deserving than the handful that do?

Exactly correct. Look at level 5 just about everyone is good and has "paid dues". True some have a bigger repitoire of certain skills, but everyone has worked to get to this level. The thing with this situation is that the promises were made to athletes with a name, not necessarily better skilled but by chance and opportunity they have become a name. That way the gym can use this for publicity so they will be talked about. The Kardashians of the cheer world- and the parents are sucked in with more promises - and the chance to calitalize on the circumstances.

i get why trinity doing what they did is not so good, but theyve never been a huge factor in any competition ive followed, so why does anyone care what they do now, especially now that gabi butler has left. in a few months, people will forget all about them. they did it to themselves, now everyone should just let them dig their own graves at this point and move on.

i get why trinity doing what they did is not so good, but theyve never been a huge factor in any competition ive followed, so why does anyone care what they do now, especially now that gabi butler has left. in a few months, people will forget all about them. they did it to themselves, now everyone should just let them dig their own graves at this point and move on.
Because this shouldn't be what the sport is about. It has been a slippery slope for a while, this has slipped off the cliff IMO. You haven't heard much of them bc this is their 2nd season and they are trying to buy their way in instead of work their way up.

I cant wait to see trinity...... I would love to run up to Gianni and tell him "Sorry but you cant just invite yourself to the panther party. That goes against rules of like the cheer world and stuff... Girl bye "
Considering he's basically a former Cheer Athletics coach he'd probably already be on the RSVP list. hahaha =)

Considering he's basically a former Cheer Athletics coach he'd probably already be on the RSVP list. hahaha =)

no his behavior has gotten him ERASED from the list. :confused:

tumblr_mb89z7w73e1rfgw3eo1_500.gif

@TheUltimateFan- were you referencing something like what Olympian gymnasts have to worry about with pro vs amateur status? As in how since Shawn Johnson accepted payment/sponsorship she can't compete at the collegiate level if she so chose..but Sam Peszek and Bridget Sloan still can.

I don't know if something like this WOULD affect their amateur status and their ability to compete for a school. There's no precedent for this so it isn't like there's anything to base it off of...

I can't answer that? I guess if your level 5 kid is not getting a free ride but the parent believes they deserve one then they can ask for one with their existing club or go to another club that will maybe offer them one. My guess is the better the club the more difficult the offers. I say this because some kids can make a level 5 worlds team at some lesser know gym but may only make a level 4 at a big name gym. So I guess the best answer to your question is if the other kids are not getting a free ride then they probably are less deserving. Maybe for example they have a running double but not everything else??

Also 2 seasons ago a nearby club offered all kids with a running double a free ride. I thought it was great and everyone had the same standard for a free ride. Too bad my kids gym didn't offer that. I could have saved a fortune lol!

@TheUltimateFan- were you referencing something like what Olympian gymnasts have to worry about with pro vs amateur status? As in how since Shawn Johnson accepted payment/sponsorship she can't compete at the collegiate level if she so chose..but Sam Peszek and Bridget Sloan still can.

I don't know if something like this WOULD affect their amateur status and their ability to compete for a school. There's no precedent for this so it isn't like there's anything to base it off of...

Cheer also isn't an NCAA sport. It doesn't have to follow and of their rules. Half the guys are roided out and it doesn't matter.

It wouldn't unless they wanted to do Acro and Tumbling. Cause cheer isn't considered an NCAA sport.
Side note, I love Sam Peszek!

Back