Try Outs And Practices

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm curious how other gyms run try outs.
1. Is there a fee? - Yup, I think it's $20/25. Can't remember

2. How large is your cheer gym? How many teams are there and what levels? Pretty big. We have several teams in each level and each age range. Plus there are rec teams too for those who don't want the time/travel commitment.

3. Do they push talent to older teams or make them crossover? For example you have a 7 year old with a round off back handspring. Does she get placed on youth level 2 or stay as a mini level 1 but be allowed to crossover youth level 2?Our kids are placed level appropriate, though there are a few on each team who may not have every skill. Usually, they might be missing level appropriate tumbling, but be a killer base/flyer. Not many of those though, and most have the tumbling 1 level down anyway. Cross overs are kids who want to do several teams. Most crossover 1 level (they do Sr 4 and 5, for example), and many do a different position on the second team (fly on 1, base on another)

4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice? No kids. Our teams usually practice 2 x week, 2 hour practices. Don't know about rec/little kids cos I've never looked into their programs

1. Is there a fee? Yes, but it's minimal. I don't know how much because the gym just takes it out of my account.
2. How large is your cheer gym? How many teams are there and what levels? Small gym. This year we have T1, M1, J1, J3, S4, S5, Mprep, Jprep
3. Do they push talent to older teams or make them crossover? Depends on the mix of kids. Because we're so small, it seems to be level appropriate first. Next season, who knows?
4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice?[/QUOTE] Age 12. L1 at the beginning of the season. Practice is 2x a week but she's there 4-5 with tumbling and open gym.

1. No fee for tryouts
2. Small, D2 Gym
3. Teams are age and level appropriate, some crossovers for girls whose skills are needed on higher levels
4. Age 10,level 2. Practice twice a week for 2 hours plus tumbling/specialty classes

(As an athlete)
1. No fee, but if you get in you have to pay rego of about $35.
2. Small, like tiny. 2 level 1 teams, one junior and one senior.
3. As we are in a area where cheer isn't that popular (small Aussie town), there isn't enough people to have a higher level team, so I don't know.
4. I'm 14, level 1. I practice 2 hours one day and a 1hr tumbling class on another day. Sometimes (about every 3-4 weeks) we will have an extra Sunday practice for 2 hours.

1. Is there a fee? Last Year it was $40 reg fee. Then $160 for tryouts. (included 1 tumbling class a week, 1cheer try out slot once a week, t shirt and window sticker) This year idk what the price is but she cut the mandatory tumbling class and tryouts are the first 3 sundays in May.

2. How large is your cheer gym? How many teams are there and what levels?Small. 3 Teams.Exhibition. MINI L1. and Jr. Prep L3. Some one said this year we will probably have a l1 l2 l4

3. Do they push talent to older teams or make them crossover? For example you have a 7 year old with a round off back handspring. Does she get placed on youth level 2 or stay as a mini level 1 but be allowed to crossover youth level 2? No crossovers happen. and everyone seems to be on both age and level appropriate teams. The youngest on our level 3 is 10. All have back tucks and beyond. lvl 1 are all 7-8 year olds 1-6 year old and all have the same skills, one girls is working a tuck. Our exhibition has varied alot from try outs to now in skill. They all were about the same at try outs. Ages range from 1-4, 2-6(twins), 1-7, 1-8. 4 year old can do a back handspring 6- roundoff. 7-working on backhandspring almost has it. 8- working backtuck

4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice?4- exhibition-1mandatory cheer practice 1hour 15 min, 1 mandatory tumbling class, a 2-30 minute elective privates.

1. Is there a fee?
We pay 50.
2. How large is your cheer gym? How many teams are there and what levels?
We have. 7 teams. Tiny,mini, J1,J2,S3,S4,S5 .... I think that's it besides a youth and senior prep team.

3. Do they push talent to older teams or
make them crossover? For example you have a 7 year old with a round off back handspring. Does she get placed on youth level 2 or stay as a mini level 1 but be allowed to crossover youth level 2?
That's my daughter. 9/15 of the girls on her mini team have bhs. They stay on mini 1. Personally she has been on older teams at another gym but I had her switch to be with kids her own age. She had friends but was always the baby of the group, the other girls would have sleepovers a lot and she was sad.We don't do crossovers unless injuries.
Juniors must be 9, seniors must be 12.

4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice? Tiny and mini are 2 hours once a week. All other teams are twice a week 2-3 hours each.

1. Is there a fee? Yes I believe last year was $50.00
2. How large is your cheer gym? How many teams are there and what levels? Large Gym. 3 locations, teams for all ages and levels.
3. Do they push talent to older teams or make them crossover? I think by and large they keep age and level appropriate minimal use of crossovers.
4. Finally, what age and level is your child and how many days a week do they have practice? 10yo Junior Coed 5. Practice during summer 2 days a week 4 hours total, Sept-May 3 days a week 6 hours total..

Back