High School Trying Out For My High School Team.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Should I join my schools cheer squad.

• Total voters
Dec 26, 2012
I don't know if I should go out from my high school team. Everyone doesn't know what they are doing. Also the captain only chooses his friends to be on the squad and let some of the actually good ones go. That's why I'm kind of skeptical to go because I want to cheer for my team but I also do not want to be not chosen and have a horrible cheer squad for my school. So can everyone vote on if should go or not, please? :) Thank you.

Any school that allows a captain vs coach choose a squad is not a team I would want my daughter or son cheering for. It means there is little regard for safety and its just a popularity contest. JMO
That's actually true. They are always playing around not even caring about when someone is in a stunt. One girl actually got hurt because they were playing around.

Be careful if you do. I'm sure you could make a difference and bring pride to the squad. You seem to care a lot. Do your homework. Reach out to the athletic director and see what their policy is on cheer and then you can decide.

Good luck!

When i first saw this, i said yes because im on my highschool team and i love it. it's a blast. But, now that you mention the captain picks, i would not want to be a part of a team that gets nothing done and is a popularity contest rather than actual skills. I hope it goes well!

Sounds like a bad idea to me. How does the school even allow that??? Is there any qualified supervision or any kind of adult supervision? I would not feel comfortable or safe stunting with people who are on a team because they're buddies with the captain and seem to goof off more than they are serious. Also, I can see there being a lot of drama with only a captain in charge.
I would stay far away from it.

Sounds like a bad idea to me. How does the school even allow that??? Is there any qualified supervision or any kind of adult supervision? I would not feel comfortable or safe stunting with people who are on a team because they're buddies with the captain and seem to goof off more than they are serious. Also, I can see there being a lot of drama with only a captain in charge.
I would stay far away from it.

there has got to be some rules about stunting or tumbling because at my school our coach has to be present for anything we do stunting wise even like a shoulder sit or a thigh stand, we still need her to be around us.

there has got to be some rules about stunting or tumbling because at my school our coach has to be present for anything we do stunting wise even like a shoulder sit or a thigh stand, we still need her to be around us.
Yeah... It's the same way even in college, it's a huge liability for the school. I was just thinking even golfers need to have an adult present and golf is very low risk.
RideThatBasket Is there any adult supervision? If not, I would bring this up to your athletic director or principle.

Yeah... It's the same way even in college, it's a huge liability for the school. I was just thinking even golfers need to have an adult present and golf is very low risk.
RideThatBasket Is there any adult supervision? If not, I would bring this up to your athletic director or principle.

exactly, the coach should be present and should be the person making decisions on who makes the team or not. It's unsafe and not fair

This seems so strange and "Bring it on" like.....Which I thought was very unrealistic and was done that way more for the popularity of the move and not how cheerleading works at all!, but here we go, a team where the captain picks! Wow.....I don't even know what to say....We don't even allow captains, per say. The coach will select a girl, usually a senior to perform some "captain duties", such as signing the paperwork for Nationals, where a captains signature is required, or at camp for meetings, outside of that, there word captain does not exist....I do understand that "captain" is a big deal for non-competitive teams, and in that case, why even have tryouts?
If you are good and this is your only HS option, look somewhere else....find an AS gym near by.

There's barely any adult supervision. Like the the coach will come to them and say they have to work on something and then leave. Then when it's the end of practice the coach comes back just to say goodbye and then leave again.

This seems so strange and "Bring it on" like.....Which I thought was very unrealistic and was done that way more for the popularity of the move and not how cheerleading works at all!, but here we go, a team where the captain picks! Wow.....I don't even know what to say....We don't even allow captains, per say. The coach will select a girl, usually a senior to perform some "captain duties", such as signing the paperwork for Nationals, where a captains signature is required, or at camp for meetings, outside of that, there word captain does not exist....I do understand that "captain" is a big deal for non-competitive teams, and in that case, why even have tryouts?
If you are good and this is your only HS option, look somewhere else....find an AS gym near by.
I'm doing All-Star already I just wanted to do HS cheering too because it seemed fun. But now that I look at it the only reason it looked fun is because the squad knew each other. But there's only one captain and basically over-rules the coach on anything because when there's tryouts the coach isn't even there to watch people try out. This is why I like All-Star better because the try-outs are fair and chosen by someone who knows what they are doing.

There's barely any adult supervision. Like the the coach will come to them and say they have to work on something and then leave. Then when it's the end of practice the coach comes back just to say goodbye and then leave again.
I would bring this up to the athletic director. It is completely irresponsible for the coach to do that. If they don't have the time or will to coach then they should step down and let somebody who can commit to the team coach. The way the team is set up now is not only a huge liability for the school but a set up for drama and injury.

I would bring this up to the athletic director. It is completely irresponsible for the coach to do that. If they don't have the time or will to coach then they should step down and let somebody who can commit to the team coach. The way the team is set up now is not only a huge liability for the school but a set up for drama and injury.

Back