Trying Out/panicking About Tryouts!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 24, 2012
So I'm trying out for a new team in a few weeks, it's an allstar team and without sounding big headed, I wasn't TOO worried about having no chance until I realised that I have NO backwards tumbling skills. I have a horrible mental block for backward tumbling (If anyone has any ideas of how to get rid of this then please please please let me know!). What are my chances realistically if I lack tumbling skills but am pretty competent in dance and stunting etc?

Thanks a lot! :D

I've been on a level 4/5 team for 3 years though :/ I just really don't want to step down, you know?
I know what you mean, I was on level 4 last year, and got bumped down to level 3 this year. It really just depends on the gym and the team what they will put you on. And im sure if you keep trying you can overcome your mental block.

I know what you mean, I was on level 4 last year, and got bumped down to level 3 this year. It really just depends on the gym and the team what they will put you on. And im sure if you keep trying you can overcome your mental block.
It sucks doesn't it? Well, fingers crossed. I probably wont make allstars until I get my tumbling up because it's just going to be too hard for them to fit me in without any real tumble skills but we'll see. :) Thank you! I hope so.

Be prepared to make a team, but not a level 4/5 team. I'm assuming this gym has more than one level team. If you don't want to compete on a lower level make sure you have a plan prepared for gracefully denying the team you are placed on (if it's lower than level 4).

Be prepared to make a team, but not a level 4/5 team. I'm assuming this gym has more than one level team. If you don't want to compete on a lower level make sure you have a plan prepared for gracefully denying the team you are placed on (if it's lower than level 4).
Yeah, I'm preparing myself. I wouldn't mind a level 3 team. But everything else just seems too slow paced, or not challenging. I've been on an allstar team before, but they weren't concerned with tumbling. So I know I can cope with everything BUT tumbling at an allstar level. But thank you, you're right. :)

Most gyms have a 'everyone makes a team' policy. Depending on what gym you're trying out for, you should make a team. Not having tumbling and being placed on a lower team also gives you an incentive to work hard!
and most teams aren't set in stone. They move people around all summer to fit them best. If you work hard, you can move up at the end of the summer!

Yeah, I'm preparing myself. I wouldn't mind a level 3 team. But everything else just seems too slow paced, or not challenging. I've been on an allstar team before, but they weren't concerned with tumbling. So I know I can cope with everything BUT tumbling at an allstar level. But thank you, you're right. :)

Does this gym offer level 4.2? It's a team for people who can stunt at level 4, but don't have strong tumbling.

Most gyms have a 'everyone makes a team' policy. Depending on what gym you're trying out for, you should make a team. Not having tumbling and being placed on a lower team also gives you an incentive to work hard!
and most teams aren't set in stone. They move people around all summer to fit them best. If you work hard, you can move up at the end of the summer!
Ahhh! Thank you so much! This has given me such a big boost. It doesn't matter what level I'm on at the end of the day. Cheering is what I do and if I have to work hard to get on a higher level then that's exactly what I'll do! :D Thank you!

Does this gym offer level 4.2? It's a team for people who can stunt at level 4, but don't have strong tumbling.
No, we don't. :( Infact, to be honest with you, I didn't even know what level 4.2 was before I joined fierceboard... I don't think we have them here. But they'd be perfect for me if we did!

Back