High School Uca All-american Tryout Process

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 15, 2012
Hi! I am a senior in HS and going to UCA camp in a few weeks for the first time (and I'm so excited)!! I want to tryout for All-American, but I want to learn more about the tryout process from cheerleaders who have been in the past. I know the tryout consists of a jump, cheer, and an "xtreme" dance. Beyond that, I am quite lost.

Does everybody at the camp learn the cheer and xtreme dance, or is it just those trying out? How much time did you spend practicing individually outside of practice time? Is the material difficult to catch on? How many people typically tryout VS how many people get chosen? Any other tips & tricks?

THANK YOU :)

Here's what I can tell you after being a former UCA staffer. The Xtreme routine dance and cheer is one you'll learn with the entire camp, and you'll have plenty of time to practice. Don't stress yourself out because they try to keep it pretty low-key. You'll be doing everything in a group of at least 4. They will give each element of your tryout a score, and the highest scores will be awarded All American. They normally set a certain percentage or cutoff amount that they take but it depends on the camp. Be confident, be tight, smile, and show the judges that you are an example of a true cheerleader :)

Have fun at your first UCA camp! As @ilikebigbows said, you will be doing the cheer/dance in groups of 4. You will do your jump individually. As a former staff member, I would use this time to make sure I matched a name with a face. Pick a jump that you feel comfortable enough to do with great technique and form.

You will have plenty of time to practice, and staff are always circulating looking for campers to help! This is a great time to ask for ways to perfect your dance/cheer motions.

Best of luck!

Back