High School Uca Camp- What To Pack?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 20, 2011
We are traveling far away and leave Friday. Is there anything specific we should take? Signs for cheer? Poms? What fun dress up items should we have our kids take?

Thanks!!

I went to UCA summer of 2010 at UCF in Florida and what I remember bringing was, sheets for bed, blankets, pillows (we stayed in dorms). Some girls brought silly string, signs, toilet paper, ect. to mess with the old varsity coach that no one really liked and was the one who signed us up for the camp and none of us really wanted to go...
But here is my suggested list of what to bring/ what I packed..
-Cheer outfits
-Uniforms
-Poms (if you use them)
-Maybe bring signs? I don't remember a lot of teams using them but I could be wrong!
-Bathing suits (some girls tanned while we weren't cheering)
-Shower items (shampoo, towels, ect.)
-Snacks
-Games for when you're back in the rooms/hotel
-Not sure how your camp will be set up, but for us our dorms were far away from the arena so some girls were smart enough to bring scooters instead of walking the whole mile!
- Sunscreen if yours is out doors!
- Yarn for a bonding activity (if they still do that)
And for dressing up, just dress in your most CRAZIEST items! It's pretty fun!

Here is the list from the UCA website :)
http://www.uca.varsity.com/docs/camp/12/schedules/bringtocamp_uca_2012.pdf
Have fun!

Coaches should bring the signs used at games, etc. UCA typically likes signs incorporated into a cheer. I would have the girls bring their poms, better safe than sorry. It'll be nice for the cheer and maybe you can use them in the Xtreme Routine.
What you should pack is pretty much just camp wear, uniforms, and comfy clothes/sleep wear. Bring a sweatshirt too in case you're staying somewhere cool. We never had time to do anything else. You're doing stuff all day long with UCA, or practicing the cheer/xtreme in the dorms. I would highly suggest to bring some snacks in case you don't like the food served or get hungry throughout the day. Keep a granola bar and water/gatorade on you or have the girls carry their own, just in case they're feeling weak (we did a lot of walking at our camp and it was hot!). They typically have big coolers but those get crowded.
Then of course just general stuff: hair things, make up, shampoo, tooth brush/paste, hair dryer, straighter, alarm clock/ihome or something similar. We would decide roommates early so we could sort of work out who's bringing what. I also brought a sleeping bag instead of sheets, but that's probably more preference.

Sorry it's so lengthy, I hope it helps!

Oh yeah, I think the "crazy day" is usually a beach blast, at least it was the last 2 years. So I'd assign a girl to collect money and buy some leis or skirts from the dollar store. They also have activities that night like a hula hoop contest, so you may need that. And yeah the yarn!

Thanks all for the response! I've been to UCA camp as cheerleader and recent years a coach but I'm thinking more specific, like what are the cheers so we know what signs to bring. Like 'blue and white' or school initials "GO WOLVES" or a spell out? I don't want to pack/carry more stuff than necessary. We will be a long way from home!

Thanks all for the response! I've been to UCA camp as cheerleader and recent years a coach but I'm thinking more specific, like what are the cheers so we know what signs to bring. Like 'blue and white' or school initials "GO WOLVES" or a spell out? I don't want to pack/carry more stuff than necessary. We will be a long way from home!
A lot of schools post their evaluated routines on youtube from camp, so I bet you'd be able to find some on there if you searched "UCA camp" and did the most recent tab!;)

In recent years, I can only ever remember using our school colors signs. But if I remember correctly they teach you a cheer that you must do for All American. Most teams use that for their performance, but it isn't required - you can use any cheer they taught you that camp. So you may want to keep that in mind if you decide to look stuff up. I would bring the school's initials (I guess that's what it's called?) and colors. Good luck to your team!

The staff loves when you bring something that sets your school apart from the others! My school always had bigs/littles and the staff would constantly take our littles crowns to wear because it was something different, showing unity within the whole squad and giving a friendly appearance to other squads will put you in a better position to win things like the banana and leadership or tradition awards :)

The All American cheer this year has the words Go (mascot), Beat (school name) so signs that go with that. The other cheers have other options, and you can pick one that goes with the signs you have, you can also alter them to fit if they don't already! Poms and megaphones are great too!

You need a hula hoop this year for the beach blast party. Also swimsuits for the pool party part if you plan to participate. We didn't use the yarn at our camp, but some teams brought theres in anyways and they did it with them.

A gift or something for your buddy is optional but nice. Something to put on the banana should you win it. An iHome or CD player for the music to practice with. A copy of your home pom music or fight song music if competing the first night. Gifts for other teams if you do that (like candy.)

Sunscreen. Sunscreen. Sunscreen. Like the 80SPF sport, water proof/sweat proof stuff.
And be sure to you know, USE IT. ALL THE TIME. And reapply ALL. THE. TIME.
Every year at camp, I see people get burnt. Catching people/being caught is not fun when you're as red as a lobster and it hurts to put clothes on.

And water bottles. It's best to fill up during water breaks and have it on handy all the time, between stunts or cheers when you really need it. Otherwise you'll have to wait till the allotted water break time. Staying hydrated and sunscreen are small things but can make a HUGE difference.

Back