All-Star Unethical Or Helping The Team?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A funny --- a couple years ago when my cheerleader was out due to a bad concussion, the coaches had her "nugget" on the half year senior 1 team because her regular team was going for a worlds bid and they wanted her "on the floor" at the comp. Chicken nugget managed to save a stunt but did nothing else. Lol

Can I ask how small without being invasive? I'm kind of curious about the idea of small gyms being for crossovers, and large gyms being against. If you are willing to share, I am also curious about why you would say no. I straddle the fence in this "argument"so I am really just asking...

Can I ask how small without being invasive? I'm kind of curious about the idea of small gyms being for crossovers, and large gyms being against. If you are willing to share, I am also curious about why you would say no. I straddle the fence in this "argument"so I am really just asking...
We have 5 full year teams plus tinys. Many of our kids do two teams as the gym policy is age level team before skill level team, but you do not have to.

Cp aged out of juniors. She is on her age/skill appropriate team. She also does school cheer. For us, that is enough. She's done two teams at the gym before but that was because the second team was a higher level senior team than her age appropriate junior team.

I personally don't feel that kids on higher teams should be crossing down to lower skilled same aged teams for an entire season just to add another body to the team. I don't think it's fair to the kids on those teams with the appropriate skills for that team nor do I think it would be fair for my cp to be competing against other teams who have lower skills than hers. I've always thought that gyms should make work what they have. It shouldn't be my child's "responsibility" to "help" another team all season long.

The only reason I could rationalize a kid double teaming within in the same age level would be if they were transitioning from one position to another and the lower level team was helping them learn that new skill.

I think the "Summit" rule of crossing one level should be a permanent rule for cheer if crossovers are still in effect. Whether small or large there will be always be that gym who wants the win, trophy and first place, no matter what! Personally my CP would of been too bored to go to level 2/3 with her 5 skills.

Maybe I should specify that it's not just one athlete. I guess it just throws a red flag for me if a team is going to reach out to an athlete that's not with their gym anymore & ask them to drop 3 levels, when there's a gym full of available athletes. I'd be upset if my child with true level 2 skills lost to a team that was using level 5 athletes. But, I honestly don't know what I'd do if my child was the level 5 athlete & my friends were the coaches asking.

Nevermind the whole level 5 moving down to compete level 2 but why wouldn't they use someone that is already in their own gym? I understand they are friends and know the girl but I just feel like it would make more sense to pull someone within the gym?

When it does, they can blame @BlueCat for the idea.

I can think of lots of things that aren't technically illegal, but would theoretically help our teams/business (short term at least) that we refuse to do on ethics/morality grounds. Certainly not suggesting that I/we have been perfect on that front, but generally we try to do the right thing whether it is written in the USASF rule book or not. I believe that to be true of the vast majority of gym owners as well.

Nevermind the whole level 5 moving down to compete level 2 but why wouldn't they use someone that is already in their own gym? I understand they are friends and know the girl but I just feel like it would make more sense to pull someone within the gym?
That was something I didn't understand either. That's why it seemed more unethical because it's not a matter of using an athlete from the gym (regardless of the level), it was intentionally seeking a level 5 athlete from outside the gym. It's not like it's for World's or anything. Idk. there are so many fine lines in cheer & so many different scenarios.

I can think of lots of things that aren't technically illegal, but would theoretically help our teams/business (short term at least) that we refuse to do on ethics/morality grounds. Certainly not suggesting that I/we have been perfect on that front, but generally we try to do the right thing whether it is written in the USASF rule book or not. I believe that to be true of the vast majority of gym owners as well.
I can't honestly say that I'd tell my child no, so...whatever camp that goes into, I'm apart of.
That's why I was curious to see how other people thought they might feel if they were in that situation. From the outside looking in, I think it's unethical. However, if it were my child, my friends, etc. how would I feel then?? It probably wouldn't occur to me that it was unethical, especially if I was blind to the gym's shady practices.

Last edited:
Back