All-Star Unified Scoring System Now Available

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My question would be if 75% gets the exact same score as 100% then why the range? Why 8.5-9.0? Why not just a straight 9.0??

I could have heard wrong, just a cheer parent that heard from other cheer parents so definitely no expert, but heard the range was for how well the skills were performed, timing, in sync, etc. Not a judge, but honestly I am a lot more impressed with full squad standing tucks than 75% standing tucks.

Wow on a small team 5/20 that is a lot of nuggets. Could that potentially lead to level 5 teams being formed that could end up being marginal in the skills being performed? Especially when teams are performing full squad skills. I know not every team member performs every skill but 5/20 just seems significant to me.

The Q&A page on the scoring says this regarding the tumbling score:

8) Are there skill caps for Standing Tumbling?Yes! Once a team qualifies for the high range with most (75%) of the athletes, quantity will no longer drive the actual score. (i.e. a team that performs 75% standing back tucks may receive the same score as a team that performs 100% standing back tucks). Other aspects of the tumbling (difficulty, variety, etc) will drive the actual score.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

a team with 75% and a team with 100% although still scoring the same in tumbling, I would think that would go into your overall score somehow because 75% is a lot less impressive then 100%
It's a C- or D in some states when 100% is like an A+ everywhere. I understand those 1 or 2 non tumblers or 3 for a large team but I really will die if I see more then that. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Lol

This also encourages Susie Moms.. Why can't my daughter be one of the 25% I know she only has her BHS but she should be level 5 because she is fierce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone heard back about this: ? about 75% = 100% standing tumbling. My question is would this effect any other area of the score sheet? If one level 4 team had full team standing tucks and another level 4 team had 75% team standing tucks could it effect the overall all impression / performance or routine creativity section of the score sheet? Thanks

I think that's crazy. I can see how 100% fulls on a level 5 could be argued as more impressive than 75% doubles but definitely 75% of a skill and 100% of the same skill shouldn't have the same value.

Here is the answer per the FAQ on Varsity website

8) Are there skill caps for Standing Tumbling?
Yes! Once a team qualifies for the high range with most (75%) of the athletes, quantity will no longer drive the actual score. (i.e. a team that performs 75% standing back tucks may receive the same score as a team that performs 100% standing back tucks). Other aspects of the tumbling (difficulty, variety, etc) will drive the actual score.
9) How many athletes need to perform standing tumbling …really?
There are different scoring ranges for standing tumbling and part of those ranges is based on the number of the athletes that perform a tumbling pass (not a tumbling skill). Keep in mind, performing the specified number of passes listed gets you into a range, it does not guarantee a specific score. Also, for the highest range, teams must perform two passes, one of which includes synchronization. For L3-L5, the additional synchronized pass must be a level appropriate jump/tumbling pass

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I thought the 75% rule went into place in the 2012-2013 year and people were happy because if an athlete got injured or had a mental block they could remain on the team without the team being penalized. Also, I thought it was put in place to help small gyms field more successful teams. Am I making this up?:confused:

Where I think judges could end up penalizing teams that are at 75% vs. 100% is in the creativity category and not having that 25% looking like they're waiting for a bus in the background or doing the "invisible" doubled over backward walk or jump in the back row .

The answer doesn't discuss if/how it effects other areas of the score sheet.

Hey Kris...I think it is answered within the other questions of the FAQ there was also another topic about this a few weeks ago for some reason I can't seem to find it...but in short YES once full credit has been given to execution of the skill itself then difficulty and overall creativity of the performance would come in to play. If anyone can find the other thread about this please share.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

What about running tumbling? If I am reading correctly, you would need 75% specialty passes to max out, so 15 for a team of 20. Does that have to be 15 different athletes, or can 2 passes by the same athlete count?

I thought the 75% rule went into place in the 2012-2013 year and people were happy because if an athlete got injured or had a mental block they could remain on the team without the team being penalized. Also, I thought it was put in place to help small gyms field more successful teams. Am I making this up?:confused:

Where I think judges could end up penalizing teams that are at 75% vs. 100% is in the creativity category and not having that 25% looking like they're waiting for a bus in the background or doing the "invisible" doubled over backward walk or jump in the back row .

That is true, but when I looked at scoring in the tumbling category it seemed that teams still scored higher with full squad tumbling. Seeing it on the unified scoring sheet made me wonder more about it.

Last edited:
Back