All-Star Uniform Trends/problems

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Wow. Where to even start with this...

Side note first: I'm so confused as to what on earth this has to do with knee highs under mesh sleeves??? (The post you quoted as your jumping off point)

But anyway...interesting business plan. "My customers' opinions mean nothing to me!" :rolleyes:

So, parents saying "Ugh. Mesh sleeves are awful - they rip very easily and there is no way to get 2 seasons out of them" is not useful information to you? No, parents should not be telling you how your logo should look or what your colors should be. But when you say gym owners have invested their own time and money into their business, you may want to remember that you've also invested MY time and money into it as well. I wouldn't leave because of a T-shirt design, but I would most certainly leave because of an owner thinking I should just blindly spend thousands of dollars on their dream.

Again, not saying the parents should design uniforms. Just saying opinions about them could be useful, and something you (as someone who is neither paying for nor wearing it) may not have thought of.

But this does help explain why there are so many disastrous uniforms running around - we always ask "Why didn't anyone stop this before it made it to the mat?" I guess it's because when someone tried to say "that's a disaster", they were told to shut up and write their checks. :rolleyes:

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

thanks for saying my response in a nice way. i typed out a response and then deleted it because it was too snarky/mean. "i don't care that its your child, it's MY brand" is not the way to run a business. it may work now, but good luck in the long run.

thanks for saying my response in a nice way. i typed out a response and then deleted it because it was too snarky/mean. "i don't care that its your child, it's MY brand" is not the way to run a business. it may work now, but good luck in the long run.

My first version wasn't as nice, if that tells you anything. :oops:

With all due respect, parents should not be given an opinion when it comes to uniforms or anything that represents the gym. I've been an athlete in someone elses gym (still am) and would never expect myself or my parents (when I was young) to be given an opinion. Now, as a gym owner, I would NEVER ask for parent opinions. If you ran a gym you would quickly see that that does NOT work. ALSO, as the gym owner you have invested YOUR time and money into creating YOUR legacy and your vision! It is the gym owner and the gym owner only's decision on anything that represents your gym/brand!
"With all due respect," There was no opinion in my post that you quoted? Please explain how wearing knee highs under mesh arms in order to avoid getting scratched has anything to do with what you are preaching?

With all due respect is the slightly more adult version of 'no offense,' both of which basically mean 'In the next 5 minutes I'm going to be a horribly snarky wench but it should magically be negated because I "don't mean to offend you". Except more often than not I kinda do..'
Or the northern version of "bless your heart"

When I read these posts that say "with all do respect", all I can picture is the scene from Talladega Nights when Ricky is like "with all do respect blah blah" and the his racing manger guy is like "Ricky just because you said 'with all do respect' doesn't mean you can say whatever you want"

It's in the GENEVA CONVENTION!

I 99% agree with everything you just said!! If a parent/athlete/staff member mentioned that they didn't like something, I'm not going to overlook it! It should be looked into and taken care of if needed (example: mesh sleeve example). That was not what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that colors, uniform (exception: functionality, as mentioned), bows, hair style, etc. are not going to be an open discussion in my gym. I will make the decision based on what I feel best represents my program. If a parent has an ISSUE with it, I'm sure they will approach me and we can discuss it. However, I will not be having a "parent vote" on the brand/image/style of MY program and MY legacy.
Wow. Where to even start with this...

Side note first: I'm so confused as to what on earth this has to do with knee highs under mesh sleeves??? (The post you quoted as your jumping off point)

But anyway...interesting business plan. "My customers' opinions mean nothing to me!" :rolleyes:

So, parents saying "Ugh. Mesh sleeves are awful - they rip very easily and there is no way to get 2 seasons out of them" is not useful information to you? No, parents should not be telling you how your logo should look or what your colors should be. But when you say gym owners have invested their own time and money into their business, you may want to remember that you've also invested MY time and money into it as well. I wouldn't leave because of a T-shirt design, but I would most certainly leave because of an owner thinking I should just blindly spend thousands of dollars on their dream.

Again, not saying the parents should design uniforms. Just saying opinions about them could be useful, and something you (as someone who is neither paying for nor wearing it) may not have thought of.

But this does help explain why there are so many disastrous uniforms running around - we always ask "Why didn't anyone stop this before it made it to the mat?" I guess it's because when someone tried to say "that's a disaster", they were told to shut up and write their checks. :rolleyes:

I 99% agree with everything you just said!! If a parent/athlete/staff member mentioned that they didn't like something, I'm not going to overlook it! It should be looked into and taken care of if needed (example: mesh sleeve issue). That was not what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that colors, uniform (exception: functionality, as mentioned), bows, team names, hair style, etc. are not going to be an open discussion in my gym. I will make the decision based on what I feel best represents my program. If a parent has an ISSUE with it, I'm sure they will approach me and we can discuss it. However, I will not be having a "parent vote" on the brand/image/style of MY program and MY legacy.

My initial post was a reply to someone on here, not sure how it got posted to that comment. The post came across a little too "strong" I guess you could say. I value the opinions of others, you will never get ahead if you don't. BUT I am simply saying to the parents who are complaining their gym doesn't give them a voice that there is probably a reason for that. Parents: I'm sure if you voiced your opinion to the gym owner it would be heard... BUT don't expect the gym owner to approach you asking for an opinion!

Uniform companies need to address the different body types in cheerleading and adding length isn't always the answer. Small, medium, large is not allowing for older athletes with muscular butts. There are too many waistbands pulling down in the back or shorts and/or skirts riding up. You need a slimmer cut to fit younger athletes and the majority of the flyers, and a fuller cut to accommodate the majority of your older bases and back spots.
As part of the big booty community I agree with this. Every time I have a skirt for my uniform the bottom part always curls up, plus the waistband in the back is pulled down a bit like you said.

Extra length can be tricky, we do +/-2 on all-star and +/-3 on school uniforms as school uniforms are less tricky from a design perspective and cost us less, I understand the concern though and that is something we can talk about changing in the future. I'll talk with our designers about what we offer for kids in all star that need to go +/-3 or more, good thought!

As far as sizing, who are you working with that sends out existing uniforms for sizing? That seems like it would definitely be an issue, I send out "sizing kits" which are basically form fitting leo's that the athletes put on and we look for any changes that need to be made to the athletes uniform from that size. You should either change companies or talk to your rep about the way they are fitting because you shouldn't have to put up with a new uniform hanging off or bunching on your athletes.
Just saw that you replied. Oops!

It was Varsity, BTW. :)

Back