All-Star Uniform Trends/problems

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 27, 2014
Hey everyone! We at Rebel Athletic want your feedback (not just on our uniforms but about uniforms in general), we are looking for feedback from both All-Star and HS teams and have posted in both forums.

For a long time the major companies that make uniforms have followed the same process and it has been a pretty traditional and closed-door process, but we would like to know your thoughts. What do you love about your uniforms, what do you hate; what uniform trends do you like and which should go away (ex. what are your thoughts on pants/capris?); how could the uniform design and buying process be improved; what do you want to see from us in the future?
Looking forward to hearing from you all, whether you're an athlete, coach, or parent.
Thanks!

Charging a more appropriate amount than the standard would be a good start. The $400 we paid for our current uniform nearly gave my hubby a heart attack.
You paid $400 for a uniform? Who did you buy it from? Our All-Star uniforms with full crystal logos, and pretty dense crystal and appliques normal run in $300 range, $400 is a crazy amount unless it is a very unique uniform.

I don't like that the tops can only be lengthened +2. My daughters are 5' 8" and 5'11". Even with the extra length the tops don't come to their skirts. When they raise their arms their entire stomaches are showing. Why can't more length be added?

I don't like that the cheerleaders try on other teams uniforms for sizing because they are made with different materials, are cut differently and sometimes old and very stretched out. This leaves us with too many brand new ill fitting uniforms. They need to be trying on their team's uniform (or one with the same materials/cut that isn't stretched out) to insure they will get the correct fit.

I like mystic/mystique fabric as an accent but not as the majority of the uniform.
Personally I have similar feelings but as a company it is our job to provide the uniform the team thinks will make the best impression and give them a fighting chance to succeed, when people ask me about doing a large amount of mystique I try to steer them away but ultimately it is their uniform and they have to be happy with it.

I don't like that the tops can only be lengthened +2. My daughters are 5' 8" and 5'11". Even with the extra length the tops don't come to their skirts. When they raise their arms their entire stomaches are showing. Why can't more length be added?

I don't like that the cheerleaders try on other teams uniforms for sizing because they are made with different materials, are cut differently and sometimes old and very stretched out. This leaves us with too many brand new ill fitting uniforms. They need to be trying on their team's uniform (or one with the same materials/cut that isn't stretched out) to insure they will get the correct fit.

Extra length can be tricky, we do +/-2 on all-star and +/-3 on school uniforms as school uniforms are less tricky from a design perspective and cost us less, I understand the concern though and that is something we can talk about changing in the future. I'll talk with our designers about what we offer for kids in all star that need to go +/-3 or more, good thought!

As far as sizing, who are you working with that sends out existing uniforms for sizing? That seems like it would definitely be an issue, I send out "sizing kits" which are basically form fitting leo's that the athletes put on and we look for any changes that need to be made to the athletes uniform from that size. You should either change companies or talk to your rep about the way they are fitting because you shouldn't have to put up with a new uniform hanging off or bunching on your athletes.

When I was at a gym using Varsity uniforms, we were given sizers that were stretchy like a gymnastics leo. When the actual uniforms came in, the cut was completely different than what was tried on because it was different fabrics, no elastic band to make the top fit to the body, and it was 3 inches shorter than what we were sized for. I think that having a uniform that is the prototype for the gym order would be a huge plus, and would probably set your company apart with customer service.

When I was at a gym using Varsity uniforms, we were given sizers that were stretchy like a gymnastics leo. When the actual uniforms came in, the cut was completely different than what was tried on because it was different fabrics, no elastic band to make the top fit to the body, and it was 3 inches shorter than what we were sized for. I think that having a uniform that is the prototype for the gym order would be a huge plus, and would probably set your company apart with customer service.

Sizing from prototypes is a possibility, it presents some issues though. We would have to make prototypes in every size to send to the gym as sizers, if we have to make any changes to the uniform after the prototype phase (Which does happen) we would have made a good amount of now useless uniforms. It's an idea that we will have to talk about, would be difficult to execute, but is worth considering so thanks for the feedback!

Clearly a trend right now are cutouts...I don't even know if uniform companies sell bras or if it's possible to do something like this, but it would be awesome if there were actual good, supportive bras that were designed to go with the uniforms that do have an open back or shoulder cutouts. You wouldn't have to go around searching for some crazy dancer bra with clear straps that doesn't have any support. Gyms could order 20 of uniform A and 20 of sports bra A (that are specifically designed to work with uniform A) and get the cutout they want, a good bra, and the convenience of it all. Obviously it wouldn't really work if a gym designed a custom uniform, but any uniforms straight from the catalog with cutouts could have their own specially designed matching bra.

Clearly a trend right now are cutouts...I don't even know if uniform companies sell bras or if it's possible to do something like this, but it would be awesome if there were actual good, supportive bras that were designed to go with the uniforms that do have an open back or shoulder cutouts. You wouldn't have to go around searching for some crazy dancer bra with clear straps that doesn't have any support. Gyms could order 20 of uniform A and 20 of sports bra A (that are specifically designed to work with uniform A) and get the cutout they want, a good bra, and the convenience of it all. Obviously it wouldn't really work if a gym designed a custom uniform, but any uniforms straight from the catalog with cutouts could have their own specially designed matching bra.
We do that! That is something we have been hearing from teams for a while because you don't want girls having issues with support during the routine, or having to deal with different color straps under the uniform. For an example look at this thread and see the picture that is in the 3rd post, these are the Madtown Twisters and we did their uniforms last year.

2013-2014 New Uniforms | Page 86 | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

We can't find a bra to go with our top. We bought a design straight from catalog and din't think there would be an issue. Wrong!

Cost! We have not one crystal on ours and it was still around $250. For a small town All Star team that is ALOT of money.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'm with @BuegeSmalls , on the rhinestone thing. I love that we received a little packet of extra stones (along with washing and care instructions) with the uni, though. Not sure how it would even be possible to adhere the rhinestones to the uni without the possibility of some loss. Let's face it, y'all are tough on these things!
And even if it's not possible to do a custom bra for each uni, how about a built-in, made of some NASA-engineered compression material that smashes the sugar packets? Eliminate the need for a bra altogether.
Same goes for boys unis, though not a bra, but a built-in spandex thing for support and to minimize poke?
Oh, and what about offering a way for programs that keep a uni for a few years to do alterations at a low cost? Like letting out a hem or seam.
And since I'm on a roll, I love a uni company that takes risks without going too overboard. I think a good designer can make capris work. I think cutouts, bits of mystique and yes, even touches of animal print, can work. So, by all means, employ designers with backgrounds in lots of different types of areas - performance, athletics and fashion - and collaborate!

Back