All-Star Uniforms: Illegal Or Not?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm on the 'take it out and suck it up' committee. When I was 10, I had my ears pierced for my birthday in August. That fall I started up with rec soccer. Rec soccer rules: no jewelry. My mother sat on the sidelines with my earrings in hand at each and every Sunday game and put them in if I wasn't in a quarter or if it was a time-out. Eventually, they let me just tape it over with athletic tape.

Actually, the USSF rule is no jewelry, period. The couple of years at my recertification class they've made it abundantly clear that taping over earrings is not acceptable.

So what are you supposed to do? You cant take a piercing out for too long or itll close, everyone i know just puts in a clear retainer...
Also, theres a girl Ive seen at comps with a dermal, you cant take those out. Whats she supposed to do?
All of the girls take out our piercings literally RIGHT before we go on the mat...then we go right to them after to get them back. 2.5 minutes isnt a long time...even for tongue rings....and for ppl with dermals...i hope they think about where they are located and if they are able to be seen in uniform...

Hey guys, so here is the final verdict. I got an email from David Sims a member of the USASF Rules Committee. I originally got a warning from a non-USASF competition about our chokers. In the email David clearly states that chokers do NOT fall under the jewelry rule and I would NOT get a deduction...

Chokers are legal, case closed! <3

Actually, the USSF rule is no jewelry, period. The couple of years at my recertification class they've made it abundantly clear that taping over earrings is not acceptable.

Well, she was 10. : ) so it may have been awhile ago? And I know my daughter's little rec league soccer team wouldn't have said anything about tape. Depends on who's in charge I think. Oh wait...that sounds just like cheer! :p

So what are you supposed to do? You cant take a piercing out for too long or itll close, everyone i know just puts in a clear retainer...
Also, theres a girl Ive seen at comps with a dermal, you cant take those out. Whats she supposed to do?

i have had my naval done and i take mine out like every other girl on our team...most of the time i forget to put it back in and sometimes its a week later and have no problem getting it in...id rather take mine out and have my hole show that have someone rip it out or get scratched by it...its a huge hazzard any jewlery...if your a cheerleader honestly you shouldnt get dermals...you know they cant be in for comps.. weve had people try putting clear retainers in their holes and it acutally ripped the girls hole larger because she got hit in a stunt and it pulled out... our coach is huge on jewlery because it causes injury...why risk ripping something out if.you only have it out for like 10 min?? 10 minutes doesnt change anything...we had a girl get her naval done 2 months before and she took it out for practice and had no problem...thats a 3 hr practice

maaanyyy people on my teal tape over their earings and bellybuttons, we've never gotten a deduction. Sometimes the girls just cannot get them out, no matter how hard they try,even others had tried. they just cant get it out, so they must tape. no deductions

Since my team has full tops, I take out all my earrings (8 of them) and tape my belly ring. I also wear a teensy tiny retainer I bought at walmart, it works amazingly. But at practice, I wear a sports bra or whatever, and I still just tape it, and I'm a base. Nothing has ever happened.

@MissBee @ACEDAD
Are we deducting now for starlites too because their armpiece wraps around the neck and is not attached to the main portion of the uniform?
I think that the starlites would be fine because it goes around the arm but if it was just around the neck like the cells it would be different...what if someone got caught on the choker what would happen then? Broken fingers and stunt falls.

If that choker is some how attached at the back of the uniform it is not jewelry...just sayin

I think the odds of injuries from a choker are pretty slim...
But still, I would consider that jewelry no matter how cute, soft, stretchy, or whatever.

Back