Unique Situation Trying To Cheer Again

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@Beans100 @angelsmum yes I'm local to my college, within driving distance. The program schedule is class M-Th from 9:30-10:50 and the work program M-F from 12-5pm. So 6pm or 7pm is my ideal. Maybe a lot has changed in 4 years. My old teams used to practice at 4 and 4:30 for all the years I did cheer! I was with two gyms and our practices were always 4 or 4:30. I think there were even younger teams at 3:30. Our level 5 teams always got the latest block at 6 or 7pm, so I assumed it would be the same. Maybe I'm way off base. It's great if things aren't what I remember! If it's more common for practices to be at night now then it might not be an issue, thank you both for letting me know that what I experienced in the past might not be how it is. I wrote to the gyms so hopefully I can get a reply soon!
If it's been 4 years, you were probably on a younger team. :) Good luck and I hope you find a gym that works for you and your schedule.

@vegas98 unless you have your heart set on the program that stopped responding, let them go. It could be that they don't have a team for you or maybe their customer service just sucks. Either way, time to move on.

I personally think it will be a tough fit to get a team at your skill level that is flexible to your school schedule and won't add practices or anything that will conflict, but I also believe you should never give up trying.

Most gyms should have had tryouts right now. Ask if after tryouts they have a team that needs someone, fits your skill level and you could do as a college student. That's a tall order, but again you never know. They either will be happy to take on another athlete and be flexible with you or won't. Another way to stay around the cheer biz might be to take some tumbling or open gym with the program you like and maybe you can be an alternate or work into a team later.

Good luck

I work full-time, go to school full-time (online bridge program so only go to school for clinical days/labs), and run a cheer program. I also have two kids in extra curricular activities and neither start before 6pm. Even when she was on a youth team, practice didn't start until 6:00.
Hello, Superwoman. :jawdrop:

Hi! So I retired from cheer 4 years ago before I started high school because my parents wanted me to focus on grades and do more activities besides cheer. I got into my dream school but I have to take a year off before I can start my first year. I will be living at home, but my year will be spent doing a program for students who are deferred. I believe I have one more year of Cheer Eligibility before I age out. I have cheered on junior 2 and senior 2 before stopping. There are multiple gyms near me and I'm pretty sure they'll have senior 1 or 2, but there is also the option of international open teams at all gyms. I dont think I can make these teams because they are worlds level but think they might be a better fit for me age and schedule wise, but skill wise I think a level 1 or or 2 is better. I am afraid that having a college-like schedule will make being on a senior team really hard. When I was on teams before practices would be in late afternoon, I imagine I won't be able to get to the gym until evening.

I already asked the closest one to me already both about their open team and senior team and they stopped responding to my emails after asking what level I was :( Can anyone give me advice on how to approach gyms in a way that will get an answer instead of getting ignored? Should I try my luck on open and hope just for an alternate position? I really want this to be able to work out since it seems like a good opportunity to try to cheer again and I will do whatever possible before giving up.
Hi! I was in a pretty similar situation as you- my skill level is only level 2 stunting and basically no tumbling but I tried out for an open team and made it! I've found most open teams are more relaxed with skills and a lot don't require any prerequisites. I'm in Canada though so I know it's slightly different. I don't think practice times should be an issue, my team practices at 7:45pm! I'm guessing most teams would definitely be practicing after 6, even if you made a senior team as well. Our senior practices don't start till 6:30! I hope you can make this work! Let us know how it goes :)

Back