College University Of Maryland Competitive Cheer!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't understand so many things about Oregon. First, I don't understand how they won. Second I don't understand how they stunt with gloves one. Lastly, I don't understand why they does baskets they way they do.

Maryland should have won. I get that the NCATA is trying to get cheerleading a college sport and I thank them for doing everything they have done and getting it more recongnized. However, Oregon's routine does not look like a cheerleading routine to me AT ALL! It lookst like a group of girls are just throwing tumbling and stunts they know. So many things are unsyronized, and there is a bunch of different things going on at a time, and not in a good way, not likeTop Gunish kind of way. Nothing flows together. They don't look enthusatic, they aren't showman and exiting to be doing their routine, which to me is a big part of cheerleading. I feel like they are leaving out important parts to our sport. I think Maryland did a great job keeping the their cheer roots and still doing a routine to the qualifications of the NCATA score sheet. Oregon winning just makes me not understand and not support the NCATA as much. It just confused me and upset me.

I thought Maryland won the team routine? How did they get it wrong? The winner was for all 6 events, not just the team routine. The teams were so close in scores and very different in style but I thought they were both AMAZING. I mean really, every team there was just fantastic!! The execution from the beginning to the end of the season was hard to believe. These 186 athletes took the skill set we all love to an all time high for execution across the board. Great job ladies! I know I will never forget it.

I'm aware the winner is for six events I watched the whole competition on Sunday night, via ducktv. I guess I didn't mean to say they got in wrong. But I just understand the scoreing less than I thought it did. Routine should be worth more it's the baises of the sport.

I'm aware the winner is for six events I watched the whole competition on Sunday night, via ducktv. I guess I didn't mean to say they got in wrong. But I just understand the scoreing less than I thought it did. Routine should be worth more it's the baises of the sport.

The routine is worth more. 110 points. None of the other events come close in carrying that much weight- That's almost double what tumbling is worth at 60 points. Compulsories are 40, Stunts are 30, Pyramid is 30, and Tosses are 30.

I don't understand so many things about Oregon. First, I don't understand how they won. Second I don't understand how they stunt with gloves one. Lastly, I don't understand why they does baskets they way they do.

Gloves are for both gripping stunts and the type of shoes that they wear tear up your hands (I think Quinnipiac and Azusa wear gloves for the same reason). No one is required to, but some teams like to - just like not all wide receivers wear gloves ... most choose to because why not use something that helps out your performance if it's allowed?

If you watch team acrobatics, you'll see that they toss from the standing position. It actually makes a lot of sense because it allows flyers to ride the toss, especially in front flipping tosses which carry high values in the NCATA format. If you don't start standing then your chest is down which causes the basket to travel forwards.

Its basically a gymnastics meet. To me its no longer cheer, NCATA has created a whole different sport all together. Which is fine and congratulations to them for that. I just don't like it being associated or compared to cheer. Because its the farthest thing from it. Once you take out choreography you've killed the connection.

Do not be so afraid of change...change is a good thing. Acrobatics and Tumbling is no closer to gymnastics than it is "away from" cheer. It is just different. What is the same as cheer is the audience. In gymnastics, the arena is basically quiet during routines and loud when they are finished. In acro and tumbling, the crowd is active the entire time. What is drastically different is the universities that offer these teams have spent over 2 million dollars so far! They are committed to the female athlete.....we all should embrace and commend this.

Its basically a gymnastics meet. To me its no longer cheer, NCATA has created a whole different sport all together. Which is fine and congratulations to them for that. I just don't like it being associated or compared to cheer. Because its the farthest thing from it. Once you take out choreography you've killed the connection.

I agree. I give props to the teams that are part of NCATA for doing what they do but no matter how many times I watch it I will never understand why they had to create this format to get cheer recognized by the NCAA. Nowhere in the hearing did it say they need to create a format like this. It seems to me that the creators just wanted their own format to be called the "creators" of something. There was no need for this. And I will never get behind it until they add Coed into the mix because it isn't fair that it is all about girls getting scholarships. What about those fantastic male cheerleaders that can out stunt and tumble those girls???

I also want to add that I still enjoyed Maryland's routine, but I didn't even finish watching Oregon's because it lacked anything that would interest me.

The routine is worth more. 110 points. None of the other events come close in carrying that much weight- That's almost double what tumbling is worth at 60 points. Compulsories are 40, Stunts are 30, Pyramid is 30, and Tosses are 30.

What I'm saying is the routine should be equal or more than all the other parts together, it's the most important part. Adding up all those numbers would make them equal to 190 so routine is down 80 points. The compulsory events should be adding to the routine, not taking away from it.

Gloves are for both gripping stunts and the type of shoes that they wear tear up your hands (I think Quinnipiac and Azusa wear gloves for the same reason). No one is required to, but some teams like to - just like not all wide receivers wear gloves ... most choose to because why not use something that helps out your performance if it's allowed?

If you watch team acrobatics, you'll see that they toss from the standing position. It actually makes a lot of sense because it allows flyers to ride the toss, especially in front flipping tosses which carry high values in the NCATA format. If you don't start standing then your chest is down which causes the basket to travel forwards.

Thanks for explain those both to me because I really didn't get it. I've never seen anyone do that before. But, if it helps I guess do for it. It just looked werid to me. I just couldn't imagine stunting with gloves on especially doing full ups.

Do not be so afraid of change...change is a good thing. Acrobatics and Tumbling is no closer to gymnastics than it is "away from" cheer. It is just different. What is the same as cheer is the audience. In gymnastics, the arena is basically quiet during routines and loud when they are finished. In acro and tumbling, the crowd is active the entire time. What is drastically different is the universities that offer these teams have spent over 2 million dollars so far! They are committed to the female athlete.....we all should embrace and commend this.

I never said people couldn't commend or embrace this. Its a really cool new sport...But I was a Gymnast for my whole life...i left gymnastics for the excitement and adrenaline of cheer. That meet had the same pace and Atmosphere as a good gymnastics meet (personally I would say gymnastics is now more exciting). Honestly this meet seemed to drag on forever and get more and more boring. Gymnastics is a slow paced sport, but u wait and hold your breath for those moments that take your breath away like the amazing dismounts or release moves...i watched the whole meet and didn't have an eye catching moment. Your right it is as far from gymnastics as it is from cheer, It is its OWN sport. Which makes me wonder why its associated with cheer at all.

I agree. I give props to the teams that are part of NCATA for doing what they do but no matter how many times I watch it I will never understand why they had to create this format to get cheer recognized by the NCAA. Nowhere in the hearing did it say they need to create a format like this. It seems to me that the creators just wanted their own format to be called the "creators" of something. There was no need for this. And I will never get behind it until they add Coed into the mix because it isn't fair that it is all about girls getting scholarships. What about those fantastic male cheerleaders that can out stunt and tumble those girls???

I also want to add that I still enjoyed Maryland's routine, but I didn't even finish watching Oregon's because it lacked anything that would interest me.
Cheer, as defined by the Women's Sports Foundation and Office of Civil Rights have determined the current cheer model of just a 2.5 minute routine, is NOT a sport, it is considered 'entertainment'. Before it could be deemed a sport of any kind for any reason, it had to change, become much more than 2.5 minute 'performance'....it needed to have all of the parts of sport included.

Back