Usa Collegiate

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 9, 2013
So a couple of my friends have been asking what the award is for placing at USA collegiate competitions and to be honest, I didn't have a clue. They were asking if you get jackets like at nationals or like rings from worlds. I don't know what to tell them, does anyone know?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

At the biggest college competitions (UCA & NCA nationals) the winners get a ring

Winners get a banner, trophy, medals, and a championship backpack. A lot of teams in Southern California go to it because it's convenient location-wise, but then go to NCA (like CBU and OCC) or have gone to UCA (like SDSU and Riverside City College.) The squad size limit isn't as strict as the other two so it gives teams the opportunity to have more athletes compete that didn't make the mat for UCA or NCA. It's also a good warm-up for NCA since it gets the athletes actually competing (instead of exhibition which is what most colleges do leading up to nationals) and the competition isn't too crazy. Some schools will also send their lower level team to compete there since two teams can't compete at UCA (such as Glendale, and even Kentucky in 2011).
The team I was on uses it as a stepping stone. The program's goal is to do UCA, but it's only the third year competing, so it helps build the team and attract people that want to compete without spending the money to go to Florida (from California) to not even have a shot at winning.
A lot of schools in western states do it because unless you get a paid bid to UCA/NCA flying to Florida from the West coast and paying for a hotel can get really expensive, especially for college students. And not too many teams around here get funding from their school. It's kinda the only option. Although Columbia University was there last time, all the way from New York, which was weird.
So this was a lot more than you asked for, but that's pretty much the rundown on the USA Collegiate Championships.

Back