Varsity And Jv

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 15, 2014
Does anyone know if youcan be on Varsity one year and then the next year be on JV? and are there any rules to this? Thanks!

So in your school, let's say for instance, if you are on Varsity in 9th grade, you can be put on JV in 10th?

I would think that there are not rules about this. You hear all the time about all-star coaches telling athletes that they can be replaced.

I am sure it would be tough blow, but probably nothing you can do about it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It happened a couple times at my high school and I don't see why there would be rules against it. People lose skills, become complacent with their spot and also new people can come in that are better than them. I don't it would be fair to be guaranteed a spot on Varsity just because you were on it the year before, things happen. But there are probably schools where it happens.

We haven't had this exact situation at my school but we did have something similar. Two girls who had been on Varsity (one had been on for one year and the other for two years) didn't make the squad at all (varsity or JV), along with 3 JV captains. With that in mind, I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible for a varsity member being moved to JV.

if a new coach comes in with new goals for the team - that could also have an impact. I recently heard about a high school in our area that wants to start a competition component. This required skills not previously needed and therefore a big in the girls chosen. But at the end of the day - it is probably up to the high school/state rules. Some schools no freshman on varsity no matter how good they are.

Yep. We had a girl who my senior year was on varsity (she started as an alternate, got put on the "regular" team and then got moved back to an alternate) and then made JV the following year. She never progressed, actually she got worse. She'd always be "injured" which played a part in it all. She would always start off well in the summer but slowly get worse as the season went wrong. For example, she was a flyer and one year she started with a arabesque double down and then by nationals she couldn't even hit a lib.

In wv, you can not bump down, only move up. So if you were varsity 9th grade- the next year you can only be varsity.

Some of these comments made me wonder, but I guess it will be different in states where "cheerleading" is a sport. Otherwise, every year is a new year, meaning a new team. Because you were on the team last year does not put you on the team automatically this year. Everyone tryout and placements are made depending on what the team's goals are for the year. We do not have a freshman rule either. So if you have freshman trying out and they are better than you, they will be placed above you.
So to answer your question, on my side of the cheer world, Absolutely!

Yes. Depends on the school.

Ex: where I coach, Varsity and JV are determined by skills, not grade level.

Varsity is competitive while JV is not.

Varsity requires standing and running tucks, ability to full from stunts, etc. Think level 3 or 4ish.

JV requires standing and running handspring but limited stunting (extensions, basic libs.) Think level 2.

With no grade level restrictions, I've had incoming freshmen make Varsity while 2 year veterans lose skills and fail to make it the next year and end up on JV.

I've also had girls tryout only for JV as juniors and seniors because they wanted to cheer for sports but were not interested in competing because they were highly involved in other sports (ex: I want to cheer but can't compete because I play softball in spring.)

Back