All-Star Varsity - "the Summit"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Paid for worlds does not cover travel especially if you are flying across the country. It covers the 5 day at the all star and a little extra that is it. Too bad they could not do this event on the other coast.

I agree. It is a lot of money to scrape up for a worlds team. I can hardly see a junior 1 team wanting to come from the west coast. (or more likely not being able to afford.)

I can see the opportunity for some "sandbag" teams to go for this.

Does anybody else just see this as a HUGE expense? I am all for recognizing and rewarding the lower levels (i coach level 2 & 3), but even if you give some kind of money it's not going to be anywhere close. then of course a parent has to come & will have to pay. and as we all know - Disney is NOT cheap! we already did our schedule and we always put only 1 flying national - NCA this year! even if we were lucky enough to win a bid, i dont think our parents would be too happy having to dish out all that money for a Florida trip also.
Trying to be open minded about this. guess i will have to see how it all pans out, but cant help but feel that this is just another money maker....
Totally agree. We're flying to UCA which is our choice, technically it's drivable if you don't mind ten hours in a car. But this would be crazy expensive in a tight economy as it is to go there twice basically a month apart.

Does this mean attendance at UCA will be about half? Why would anyone go to both?
I was thinking that would happen as well.

Although I really like the concept of this, I think there are some flaws. The fact that it is a week after Worlds is a killer. If you have multiple kids that cheer, it could be a pain to fly to worlds for one cp, go home, then turn around a few days later to go back. I know this obviously won't be the case for every person, but I think there would be a decent amount that this would affect. And if you go to UCA too... If I were a parent that had to do that I would be ready to strangle Mickey.

Interested to see how this turns out though, and if gym owners would be willing to put both UCA and Summit on the schedules.

I dont see this as a money maker AT ALL for Varsity. Disney is not cheap to hold a competition at. They're dumping money to send teams, MORE teams than Worlds, to Orlando AND promise to provide production that out does their Worlds Bid events-maybe even providing production that outdoes NCA All Star and not just for those Level 5 teams in the Arena- your levels 1-4 get to experience it too. Thats kind of a big deal since those kids work just as hard as Level 5 teams do.
I'm not talking about a money maker for varsity, I'm just talking about the kind of money parents will have to shell out. Especially for teams that will have to fly.

With roughly 40 divisions in Youth thru Senior levels 1 thru Restricted 5, with 400 bids, that only averages out to 10 teams per division...I'm sure some of the more populated divisions will have more and smaller divisions less. Compare that with over 300 bids awarded to 10 World's divisions, and it will not be an easy task to get a bid I'm sure. I think the Summit will make for a great competition!

I was thinking that would happen as well.

Although I really like the concept of this, I think there are some flaws. The fact that it is a week after Worlds is a killer. If you have multiple kids that cheer, it could be a pain to fly to worlds for one cp, go home, then turn around a few days later to go back. I know this obviously won't be the case for every person, but I think there would be a decent amount that this would affect. And if you go to UCA too... If I were a parent that had to do that I would be ready to strangle Mickey.

Interested to see how this turns out though, and if gym owners would be willing to put both UCA and Summit on the schedules.

Help me, I'm a mom, not a coach, so I'm entirely familiar with these comps-do you have to have a bid to go to UCA?

Your smaller gyms & lower level teams rarely get to experience Disney unless they go there for a destination event during the season. If you're searching for a Worlds Bid & go to Worlds it might seem like a lot, BUT what if these kids get to be on ESPN because of this? That's cool for them.

Ummm...the ESPN coverage is already less than stellar, so please don't make this a selling point...:cow:

When Worlds first started there were limited divisions and a handful of teams. Then each year it grew. If people aren't interested in going initially it may be a small event while people watch to see how it goes. If it's too far, too costly, too crowded, people won't go. I have a wait and see attitude on this one...

Help me, I'm a mom, not a coach, so I'm entirely familiar with these comps-do you have to have a bid to go to UCA?
I'm not sure of it myself... In the past I think you had to go to a UCA Regional competition to qualify for it but I don't know if that is still the case. Either way it is still a pretty large competition. It died down for a few years but it really started becoming popular again.

If you mean UCA International at Disney (sorry I don't know the differences between different comps), then yes you are supposed to have a bid. However, last year at least, they accepted tryout videos as well.....

If you mean UCA International at Disney (sorry I don't know the differences between different comps), then yes you are supposed to have a bid. However, last year at least, they accepted tryout videos as well.....

I thought that they did away with the bid thing for UCA allstar nationals a while ago?

I thought that they did away with the bid thing for UCA allstar nationals a while ago?
They had regional competitions where bids were announced, but they had a whole video selection thing as well, this last year. I don't know, it seemed fishy to me, the bids were announced after the deposits were due.

ETA: at least here, I don't know when the regional comps began...so I have only info on here.

Back