All-Star Very Well Written..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This whole website is awesome, I am a Sport and Exercise Psychology major so this is like all I learn about in school. It's a small field that's really starting to grow and I love seeing things like this because it really is important in sports, especially youth sports.

Every parent needs to read this.

STEP NINE
GIVE YOUR CHILD THE GIFT OF FAILURE
If you really want your child to be as happy and as successful as possible in everything that he does, then teach him how to fail! The most successful people in and out of sports do two things differently than everyone else. First, they are more willing to take risks and therefore fail more frequently. Second, they use their failures in a positive way as a source of motivation and feedback to improve. Our society is generally negative and teaches us that failure is bad, a cause for humiliation and embarrassment, and something to be avoided at all costs. Fear of failure or humiliation causes one to be tentative and non-active. In fact, most performance blocks and poor performances are a direct result of the athlete being preoccupied with failing or messing up. You can't learn to walk without falling ENOUGH times. Each time that you fall, your body gets valuable information on how to do it better. You can't be successful or have peak performances if you are concerned with losing or failing. Teach your child how to view setbacks, mistakes and risk-taking positively and you'll have given him the key to a lifetime of success. Failure is the perfect stepping stone to success.

Back