All-Star Voiceover Usage

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i think in america - where most gyms etc have the funds to purchase music, it is unacceptable.
however, in international countries where teams cannot afford the crazy prices for music, it is the one of the only ways to achieve a good mix for your routine. but yes I hate it when well known voiceovers are used in very obvious ways.

It seemed odd, because either they paid for a mix BASED on their routine (because they were hitting and twisting at certain parts with sfx), OR they specifically picked music from different sections of other team's music. It sounded like a quality mix. Yet for some reason I kept seeming to hear a certain voice that I usually associate with cheer athletics music..hard to tell over that mom shrieking though. :/

TIME OUT. "Don't get it twisted" is not something that Maryland Twisters invented. It has been a saying before they used it.

Same thing with "Hey Girl Hey" That has been around for a few years. Starlites just happened to use it in their music. If someone else used it, it wouldn't be stealing it.

I agree that no one should be copying other people's voiceovers and/or music. But- music producers should also not be selling previous years' music as "pre-mixed" cuts for teams who can't afford custom music. I recently found parts of our juniors' music, which we to be paid to be created, being sold. Even though it was last year's music, we still paid for it!

Same voiceover though. Id be mad if i was on f5.

Yeah!!!
...except not......
is this even real?? i feel like this is a joke right now.
also, like rich said even IF it was the same voiceover Maryland Twisters did not create nor do they in any way on the phrase "don't get it twisted" it was around a LONG time before them and probably will be long after.
that said, anyone can use it however they want and noone should be mad about that in particular. IMO.

in the case of original voiceover, however, i don't agree with it.
i remember being at a competition in HS and we were watching teams and legit half their music was the exact same as ours and i was like"...what?..." also reusing an original voice over especially from a well known team i think just about everyone knows when they hear it. and i'm not sure how often it's honestly intentionally done seeing as you can pretty much guarantee someone's gonna jump down someones throat about it.

in the case of original voiceover, however, i don't agree with it.
i remember being at a competition in HS and we were watching teams and legit half their music was the exact same as ours and i was like"...what?..." also reusing an original voice over especially from a well known team i think just about everyone knows when they hear it. and i'm not sure how often it's honestly intentionally done seeing as you can pretty much guarantee someone's gonna jump down someones throat about it.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. In the all-star world, YES- we all realize when someone steals a popular voiceover. But when a high school team is using parts of all-star mixes or voiceovers, I don't know that many people notice. All-star and high school are very separate in a lot of places.

doesnt change the fact that its going to upset people. Dont use it if you know that somebody previously had it. But if they didnt know, its fine. Just either way people are gonna be upset

I think it's one thing if someone uses a specific song selection (like 'but the girls of the world ain't nothin' but trouble-which was a bit in Cali Coeds mix from IDK when)..but if you're taking a specific v/o from the MUSIC (not someone ELSE saying 'don't get it twisted', but the actual selection from F5's music with that person saying it) I'd get a little peeved. Being interested in v/o, you learn about vocal identifiers and relations. Voices can convey an image or concept without visuals (You hear Billy Mayes' voice and you automatically respond a certain way/know the type of 'sell'). Stealing that tidbit to me, isn't ok. Mixes cost HOW much money? I'd ask for a dollar every time they used it lol

Although I get curious- would mix prices go down for teams if people were willing to pay a penny for a mix? Like if the only way to get CEA or WC or Cali's mixes would be to purchase them for like 5 cents, how would life be? I was thinking about it at work today lol

I think the thing that just kills me is that they paid for that mix. We all know that music is not cheap, so why pay to have music that sounds or includes someone elses music?

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. In the all-star world, YES- we all realize when someone steals a popular voiceover. But when a high school team is using parts of all-star mixes or voiceovers, I don't know that many people notice. All-star and high school are very separate in a lot of places.

that is very true

doesnt change the fact that its going to upset people. Dont use it if you know that somebody previously had it. But if they didnt know, its fine. Just either way people are gonna be upset

you're right it might upset some people, but it's a waste of time to be upset.... okay in the video that was posted earlier for instance. or even lets say if someone did use a voice over that said "don't get it twissteeed!!" yeah you might be upset about it. but like i said they did not just create that phrase by some grand stoke of genius. to be upset because someone else has a voice over saying the same thing is really just a lost cause.
it's a complete waste of time and to me it's one thing to take a completely original voice over from another piece of music and use it in your own and a whole 'nother story to use something as generic as "don't get it twisted" anyone could use that in their music at any time... chances are they won't have it sound the same as the MD Twisters voice over or some people could MAYBE argue that was "taken" from them, but unless they are going to copyright the use of that phrase in any way shape or form in music for a routine, which get's tricky with this kind of thing. there's nothing you can do about it. and if someone wants to do it.
they will.
end of story. if that "it's time to get twisted" or whatever it said upset someone... well it's not nearly the same voice over. two words in the whole thing are the same and it's not even the same voice. so get over it. things happen. i'm sure one has more important things to worry about than "someone use two words from our voice over!!"

i know i came across a mix this past season that had a v/o previously used by a well known team and no one cares...all that much. it's like "oh we used that two years ago.."

and i'm rambling now,but to use a completely original voice over as your own, for example: "you know. we're not done. cali smo-ed number o-o-one" and one used it in their music and just changed it to... idk some random team number one. that would be like. okay, no.
but "don't get it twisted"... come on now. i mean i will admit alot of times when i hear it i think of that program and it's only because they use it so much yeah they're known for theire use of said phrase, BUT it doesn't change the fact that it's not "theirs" exactly. one can't get "upset" with someone else for using it to. IMO

alright i'm done..

kbai

P U -M A S, what do you think we'll think of next?
I always hear teams that have exactly that with their team name being spelled out.
SMH. SO tacky..

Back