All-Star Warmup Standards

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So a competition floor to compete a skill needs to be 22' to 25' but when warming up those skills you do not need a full floor, and we are saying 17' to 20'

Fewer events would have issues with their performance areas being too low. I don't recall seeing a performance venue where height was even remotely an issue. I could see raising the standard a bit to 20', (25' if senior or international coed teams are competing) of clearance above the performance floor.

I still think there are much bigger fish to fry when it comes to safety, though. Standardizing out-of-bounds and mandating a specific clear area around the floor would have a bigger impact on reducing injuries. Mandating EMTs or similar would make a much bigger difference as well.

Fewer events would have issues with their performance areas being too low. I don't recall seeing a performance venue where height was even remotely an issue. I could see raising the standard a bit to 20', (25' if senior or international coed teams are competing) of clearance above the performance floor.

I still think there are much bigger fish to fry when it comes to safety, though. Standardizing out-of-bounds and mandating a specific clear area around the floor would have a bigger impact on reducing injuries. Mandating EMTs or similar would make a much bigger difference as well.

I agree. As there are many requirements on the safety end though each one should probably be submitted separately (that way if one part is bad no one will vote for it). Though I am a believer in the details matter on this piece.

Should we make a new post for all the suggestions to be submitted on safety standardization?

Please. By all means, dear God, please mandate this, if nothing else.

What about baskets for you?

I guess it comes down to what our goals are. Are we trying to eliminate the worst venues or limit it to just the best venues? we may eliminate cheap local comps and therefore drive cheer costs up.

I like BlueCat idea about disclosing ceiling heights under 20 and providing a basket area somewhere

Raise your hand if you've warmed up in a tent in a parking lot.
<-------This girl.
Adding on. Raise your hand if you've warmed up in a school cafeteria. (for an allstar competition)
<-------This girl.

I guess it comes down to what our goals are. Are we trying to eliminate the worst venues or limit it to just the best venues? we may eliminate cheap local comps and therefore drive cheer costs up.

I like BlueCat idea about disclosing ceiling heights under 20 and providing a basket area somewhere
I would not be against less comps available. I would rather few comps with better quality of venue and competition than 5 million boom boom comps.

Raise your hand if Worlds was the event with the shortest total warmup time of your whole season.
<----------

10 minutes. About 2 to 4 minutes too short.

Ok some of the simpler ones I think I can make as one line suggestions:

All warmup areas must be no lower than 16 feet. The height of the warmup area must be posted on the website to the lowest hanging structure.

All warmups must be at least 12 minutes on floors suited for activity (stretching does not count as activity).

A full spring floor must be used for at least 4 minutes of warmup.

Ok some of the simpler ones I think I can make as one line suggestions:

All warmup areas must be no lower than 16 feet. The height of the warmup area must be posted on the website to the lowest hanging structure.

All warmups must be at least 12 minutes on floors suited for activity (stretching does not count as activity).

A full spring floor must be used for at least 4 minutes of warmup.

The last one may be cost prohibitive for smaller comps.

I think that 12x42 stunt, 12x70 spring strip, and full size non spring is sufficient, not perfect but sufficient

How about competent staff running warm up? People who are not afraid to stand up to that coach that thinks using extra time is okay. Also, the big clocks help. Nothing like being told that you have "about 5 min on each mat".

I think those would need to come down the road.

Latest posts

Back