Ways To Save Money To Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 17, 2012
I reallyyyyy want to do all- star cheerleading. One team I really want to cheer for is Maryland Twisters. I told my mom that I would help pay for cheer fees, and competition fees, and travel fees to cheer. And I need ways to save money to cheer. I've thought of car washes, dog walking, bake sale, and thats about it. I need more ideas. Please Help!!!

if you're old enough, definitely look into a job.

Not to be a debbie downer, but that is a lot of money for someone with virtually no income to come up with, but it is possible.

call the gym to get an estimate as t0 how much you would be paying/splitting with your mom. look into fundraising with the gym and definitely try getting sponsored by local businesses. i've met people who paid for nearly an entire season on fundraising and sponsorships alone. it can be time consuming, but you get in what you put out. if it's something you really want, i hope you find a way. good luck!

I got a job this year because I have to split my cheer expenses with my mom. It is tough, but the way I see it... if you want to cheer that bad you can find a way! Good luck.

I don't know how this would work for a big gym like Maryland Twisters but offer to help out assistant coach/spot some of the younger teams or basic tumbling classes in exchange for prorated tuition. Some gyms will offer scholarships for tuition based on need or in exchange for helping out with duties (such as cleaning, organizing, ect) around the gym

I know one girl at my old gym basically worked as the janitor (it was a small gym) and vacuumed and cleaned the place a couple hours a week. It paid for her whole tuition that year! But there are also lots of fundraising opportunities with most gyms that can help out a lot.

Most gyms will have a boosters where you can do fundraising - but definitely get a job, offer to teach some classes at the gym, learn how to spot some tumbling and it can add up fast. Good luck!!!

With spring/summer coming, some outdoor jobs. Maybe post on local bulletin boards that you are available for dog walking, pet sitting, landscaping, etc.

The most expensive part for us is the actual travel. Even the blocked rooms through the gym are often $150-$250 per night. Look for cheaper hotels and try to split the room (and gas money) with another cheerleader. That can really save you a ton. My total hotel bill and gas for Indianapolis this year was $175 for three nights, and we live 7-8 hours away. It would have been over $600 to book through the gym block.

get rides and bunk with people at comps WHENEVER possible.

My mom doesnt come to comps anymore because its too expensive for us. When my gym went to vegas, i drove with another family and slept on the floor in their room.

And definitely communicate with your gym owner/coach about your situation. Not neccesarily about specifics but communication is key if you want help!

maybe get a job if you're old enough, babysit, chores, fund raise and i know that some other people at my gym would help out a family if they couldn't afford it so maybe a family or the gym would help you out...goodluck!

Also, some gyms and companies offer scholarships based on need and your involvement with the community or cheer world. In Washington state, our state cheer board has a scholarship application and they try to at least give at least some money to every applicant and then have larger scholarships that are given to the best application (like college scholarships).

Back