All-Star Wearing Braces For Injuries On The Comp Floor

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 5, 2010
I need to know what is legal to wear for competing with brace wise for injuries. I broke my thumb and obviously i have still been training with worlds being next week and i am still competing. But i have to wear a brace that doesnt allow my thumb to move which has a metal bit in the brace. The metal isnt on show and is covered up by the material, but i am not sure i will be able to wear it on the worlds floor or not? Can anyone help? What are the rules around this kind of thing, i have read the rules regarding this part but i am still unsure.

If you've read the rules and are still unsure, I would ask my coach to contact USASF and ask or do it myself. And maybe try to have a backup that doesn't have any metal in it, just in case. Not exactly sure if it doesn't say specifics in the rules...
I applaud you for still training with a broken thumb, that's awesome! And good luck to you and your team at worlds!

I compete with my knee brace which contains metal, I've also competed with metal finger splints on before...so there should be no reason why the metal in your brace should be a problem

Thanks everyone. I was thinking of buying an air cast. but if you guys have all competed with them then it should be ok. I did ask our event producer but she didnt know, so she was supposed to get back to me with an answer but so far i havent had a reply back.

I compete with my knee brace which contains metal, I've also competed with metal finger splints on before...so there should be no reason why the metal in your brace should be a problem
I know this may be a bit off topic, but why do you need a knee brace? I hate to be awkward, im just looking for a little inspiration to come back from a second knee surgery, and have become oddly obsessed with knee injuries lol:eek:

We actually had a girl compete with a broken wrist two years ago. She just had to wrap in in layers and layers of pre-wrap and they let her compete. I guess they just don't want the cast or brace to be a potential hazard the the competitors around the injured person.

I know this may be a bit off topic, but why do you need a knee brace? I hate to be awkward, im just looking for a little inspiration to come back from a second knee surgery, and have become oddly obsessed with knee injuries lol:eek:

I tore my acl during a full out at practice :( It happened February of last year and I came back for nationals that May :)

yes but then I had surgery so I was off for another 5 months :( No issues now, but there were issues in the first 9 months after surgery
Oh, you went to nationals with a torn acl? how hard was that, ive just started talking to my doctors about trying to return without surgery but havent known anyone to do so at a high level. What kinda brace did you wear?

Oh, you went to nationals with a torn acl? how hard was that, ive just started talking to my doctors about trying to return without surgery but havent known anyone to do so at a high level. What kinda brace did you wear?

It wasn't that difficult, because I had strong muscles surrounding the knee, but that isn't a very smart thing to do because it give you a false sense of security that your knee is okay when in fact, it isn't. Also, I didn't tumble or jump, so that made it easier.

Oh, okay. Yeah, i know it isnt smart but i really wanted to keep going. This is the second ACL injury to the same knee, plus other issues, and i really wanted to keep going. I really appreciate your input, but i also couldnt cheer without tumbling in my heart, so im still holding out for a doctor to tell me i can withstand it but im afraid im done since i know if i go to the gym im gonna tumble...

Also, im guessing you wore a brace? Im sorry, its so weird how much i wanna know about other girls' knees, i just want as much info as possible before i make my decision for good!

Back